Old Ezra 7 yr 117 Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

55 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I passed on this one having tried it before. My mystery whiskey tolerance continues to wane I suppose.

Someone else who didnt love it! Mine turned into my current mixing bourbon.

• I like it 1

I was at a local store today. A guy was trying to sell me this stuff (at retail), saying its "going for $300 on the secondary" (lol it is not). Also mentioned that some guy came in and bought 5 (there was 5 still on the shelf), and he thought he was planning to flip them. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but it's sort of hilarious to see how absurd this is getting, from both ends (that stores are talking it up and that it has any secondary market at all).

I've seen probably 30 bottles of it now all at retail sitting on the shelf at stores around town and have passed every time. I'm not really much of a fan of Heaven Hill's standard rye mash bourbon until it's 15+ years old, so I'll wait until I see it at a bar or something to try a pour. Almost bought one today though despite my better judgement (I've been trying to buy less mystery whisky and stick more to things I know I like). I grabbed a Pikesville and an Ardbeg Grooves instead.

Edited by EarthQuake

• 2 months later...

I opened up one I got back around the new year.  Wasnt impressed.  If I'd been tasting blind, I'd have bet it came from Beam.  Admittedly, it followed KC CS Rye, so that may have had influence.  I'll revisit in a few weeks...

• I like it 1

My experience was: OK upon opening, nothing remarkable. Became astringent after a couple weeks of air time; my wife agreed. Having already poured her some, I mixed a few other sweeter tasting whiskies in per her request rather than drain pouring the glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Expectations were high. Didn’t care for it one bit.   Will revisit but man its nothing like the 101.

21 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Expectations were high. Didn’t care for it one bit.   Will revisit ....

Ditto. :mellow:

Biba! Joe 

Expectations were high. Didn’t care for it one bit.   Will revisit but man its nothing like the 101.

Well, I guess I need to open mine up and see what I think. Both of us are fond of the 101, so I figured it would be like making the leap from EC to ECBP...a big improvement, although the EC is still good.

I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts. Couldnt tell if my palate was off or if it was just bad.

I'm really trying to like this one. My bottle has been opened for a while now, and that's seemed to have helped a little. A splash of water and a little ice also help, but....The flavors in this one still come off to me as "muddled". That's the best way that I know of as to how to describe it. Sometimes "muddled" can be good. In this case, not so much so IMHO. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm really trying to like this one. My bottle has been opened for a while now, and that's seemed to have helped a little. A splash of water and a little ice also help, but....The flavors in this one still come off to me as "muddled". That's the best way that I know of as to how to describe it. Sometimes "muddled" can be good. In this case, not so much so IMHO. 

Biba! Joe

Im scared to go back in

With all of this negative talk, I had to go dig (actually, not just literally) in my stash and find one of the bottles that I bought. After several sips, I’m kinda liking this stuff. I’m definitely getting a Beam profile...it’s nutty, so they may have sourced this from Beam. I think the OE101 was likely sourced from Heaven Hill. We’ll see whether I continue to like it after a few more pours, but as of right now, I’m diggin’ it!

• I like it 3

After further study, I’m still liking this. It’s a bit woody, so if you’re not a termite like I am, you may not like it that much. Cheers!

• I like it 3

In all likelihood, I will be bringing the remnants of my bottles of Old Ezra 101, and Old Ezra Barrel Proof to Bardstown next month.  Gazebo fodder,  or....?  :rolleyes:  

Biba! Joe

31 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

After further study, I’m still liking this. It’s a bit woody, so if you’re not a termite like I am, you may not like it that much. Cheers!

Hmm.. i didnt get any of the HH profile aither. Just thought it would be the same stuff just not proofed down. I gotta give my palate a rest here soon (not tonite)  and then i’ll approach it from a different angle. 

Joe .. There may be a bunch of this making it to bardstown.

• I like it 1

I just got a notice that Casker's has OE7BS on "sale" for $49.99.  Not too bad a price if you're unable to find it at msrp. 
https://www.caskers.com/old-ezra-7-year-old-barrel-strength-straight-bourbon-whiskey/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03/21/2019_daily_eng&utm_term=daily_engaged

It’s $39.99 in my area, which I believe is MSRP.
  • I like it 2

I’d take the barrel strength over the 101 any day of the week.  What is wrong with you guys??? ?

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

It’s $39.99 in my area, which I believe is MSRP.

Yeah, that's msrp and what I paid a couple of months ago.  I only posted because people were reporting not being able to find any on the shelves.  Ten bucks over msrp is ok, IMO, if you really want it and it's gone from the shelves. 

With all of the back and forth here, I decided to have another pour of this after letting it sit for a couple of months after my first pour.  I'd say, it's good, but nothing terribly special or complex.  I am a fan of OE 7/101, and have a few bottles bunkered.  The BP is certainly a fine $40 bourbon, and glad I picked up the 3 bottles I came across.  Anecdotally, after seeing those 3 bottles, and buying them, I haven't seen a bottle since.  I am fine with what I have, and would not be looking to go crazy stocking up on this one.  YMMV. 

• I like it 3

On 11/28/2018 at 8:37 PM, lcpfratn said:

I still haven’t seen this in my neck of the woods, but that doesn’t surprise me since OE7 101 was not carried by many stores in my area either. I’ll probably have to make a special request in order to get any of it in my area.

Nevermind...I see you have found the barrel proof here. Care if I ask where? It was way overpriced where I saw it today. I'm a huge fan of the ECBP

Edited by Brett

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:01 PM, lcpfratn said:

With all of this negative talk, I had to go dig (actually, not just literally) in my stash and find one of the bottles that I bought. After several sips, I’m kinda liking this stuff. I’m definitely getting a Beam profile...it’s nutty, so they may have sourced this from Beam. I think the OE101 was likely sourced from Heaven Hill. We’ll see whether I continue to like it after a few more pours, but as of right now, I’m diggin’ it!

Interesting, it tasted like Heaven Hill to me, basically like younger EC, which from what I understand is what it is. I get nutty from HH, quite similar notes to some Beam bourbons for that matter (Booker's comes to mind). The nuttiness doesn't really go away until I get up to EC18. I get a distinct nuttiness from EC NAS, ECBP, and McKenna.

I got a bottle of this a while back and had one or two pours from it and haven't bothered to open it again. I'm not really a fan of this flavor profile, though it's a well made and well priced product for those who enjoy this style of bourbon.

It disappeared around here for a while and there were rumblings from some store owners that they couldn't get any more, but it has shown up again.

Edited by EarthQuake

Interesting, it tasted like Heaven Hill to me, basically like younger EC, which from what I understand is what it is. I get nutty from HH, quite similar notes to some Beam bourbons for that matter (Booker's comes to mind). The nuttiness doesn't really go away until I get up to EC18. I get a distinct nuttiness from EC NAS, ECBP, and McKenna.

I got a bottle of this a while back and had one or two pours from it and haven't bothered to open it again. I'm not really a fan of this flavor profile, though it's a well made and well priced product for those who enjoy this style of bourbon.

It disappeared around here for a while and there were rumblings from some store owners that they couldn't get any more, but it has shown up again.

Everyone’s palate is different. We definitely agree that they likely sourced the standard OE7 product from HH, and I was pretty sure they sourced the barrel proof version from HH too, until I tasted it. I don’t usually get that same nuttiness from HH that I get from a lot of Beam products, so that makes me wonder about the source. Regardless, I like both of the OE7 products, and have accumulated a few bottles of both of them.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.