Old Ezra 7 yr 117 Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Everyone’s palate is different. We definitely agree that they likely sourced the standard OE7 product from HH, and I was pretty sure they sourced the barrel proof version from HH too, until I tasted it. I don’t usually get that same nuttiness from HH that I get from a lot of Beam products, so that makes me wonder about the source. Regardless, I like both of the OE7 products, and have accumulated a few bottles of both of them.

I'll have to open it up again here and see if I get any Beam vibes from it.

15 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Everyone’s palate is different. We definitely agree that they likely sourced the standard OE7 product from HH, and I was pretty sure they sourced the barrel proof version from HH too, until I tasted it. I don’t usually get that same nuttiness from HH that I get from a lot of Beam products, so that makes me wonder about the source. Regardless, I like both of the OE7 products, and have accumulated a few bottles of both of them.

I'm with EarthQuake in that it tastes like HH to me. Haven't had it in a while so I'll pull it out and see if I can find any Beam flavors.

I'm with EarthQuake in that it tastes like HH to me. Haven't had it in a while so I'll pull it out and see if I can find any Beam flavors.

It probably is from HH, like we all originally thought. My palate may have been playing tricks on me the night I had my first and only pour this far, but I definitely got a lot of nuttiness in that pour that I don’t usually get with HH.

^^^^My money's on HH (but who cares right:lol:)!  To me, their house profile is as strong, and unmistakable, as Beam's. 

53 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^My money's on HH (but who cares right:lol:)!  To me, their house profile is as strong, and unmistakable, as Beam's. 

Indeed it is.

Ran into 3 bottles of this on the shelf for 44.99 at a store near my work. Passed, but may go back and get one. This thread has got me interested in trying it.

13 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Ran into 3 bottles of this on the shelf for 44.99 at a store near my work. Passed, but may go back and get one. This thread has got me interested in trying it.

You won't regret it.  It's very good and that's not a bad price. 

• I like it 1

On 4/13/2019 at 12:39 AM, Kepler said:

I've never come across this one, but then again I haven't vigorously sought it out either.

I bought the first couple of bottles I came across.  It is good, but nothing amazing.  And since it is not amazing, I have passed up future bottles.  It is just a frank assessment on my part, that this cannot really match some of the other heavy-hitter barrel proofers out there like ECBP, CEHTBP, and Stagg Jr., of which I have plenty, and thus don't need to go crazy with the OEBP. 

I am probably more apt to reach for the OE7/101 if I want this profile and just want a quick drink.  The barrel proofers are obviously a bit more of a challenge.  JMHO.

• I like it 1

I just broke into this one that I just bought. I don’t know why but it reminds me of OGD114. I know a couple others mentioned it tastes like beam. I like it, a bit unrefined but packs a punch. Ohio is a control state and has this one at $39.99, however has StaggJr at $46.99 and ECBP at $49.99. I’d take the others for a $7-10 more dollars. I’d also take OGD114 for $29.99. I’m glad I bought it and also glad I left 4 on the shelf. I know some markets have stagg jr and ECBP at higher prices and if that is the case I would recommend to pick this up. I really like the good looking bottle. Luxco does a good job of that. RY10 packing is awesome. 

I just broke into this one that I just bought. I don’t know why but it reminds me of OGD114. I know a couple others mentioned it tastes like beam. I like it, a bit unrefined but packs a punch. Ohio is a control state and has this one at $39.99, however has StaggJr at $46.99 and ECBP at $49.99. I’d take the others for a $7-10 more dollars. I’d also take OGD114 for $29.99. I’m glad I bought it and also glad I left 4 on the shelf. I know some markets have stagg jr and ECBP at higher prices and if that is the case I would recommend to pick this up. I really like the good looking bottle. Luxco does a good job of that. RY10 packing is awesome. 

From purely a value perspective, I agree that if you can get ECBP or Stagg Jr at those prices, I’d probably choose them over the OE7 BP. However Stagg Jr is generally at least $50 and ECBP is generally at least $65 in my area, and many places price them higher. So, at $40 this is a worth a shot as you suggested. Of course, there’s also the “what other barrel proof is priced as reasonably these days?” reason to buy it.
  • I like it 2

I have two bottles of OEBP. I like it well enough but don’t know if I’ll reload. I prefer ECBP, Stagg Jr. and WTRB and have good access to those. 

• I like it 2

Yeah, at the same price point I'll buy WTRB every day of the week and twice on Sunday, ditto for 1792 Full Proof. I'm perfectly happy to pay $13 more for Stagg Jr or $10 more for Bulliet barrel strength (this stuff is pure Four Roses and tastes awesome, it's surprising that nobody talks about it) as well. I'm not a huge fan of ECBP but I would grab a bottle at $60 before I would get another one of these. OEBP is a decent value at $40 but not something I'll be quick to pick up again. I've had a bottle for a couple months now and only had the urge to have about two pours. I think I'll be nursing this one for a while.

OEBP falls in the OGD114 category for me. For the style, proof, and price, both are a great value. But taking value out of consideration, neither are really better than average bourbons. Easy recommendations if you want the highest proof drinkable bourbon at the lowest price, but not much point in it beyond that. Personally I think both Beam and Heaven hill need more time in the barrel to really come into their own.

Edited by EarthQuake

9 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Bulliet barrel strength (this stuff is pure Four Roses and tastes awesome, it's surprising that nobody talks about it)

Shhhhhhhhh........

• I like it 3

On 4/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, EarthQuake said:

Personally I think both Beam and Heaven hill need more time in the barrel to really come into their own.

At what age do you like your Heaven Hill bourbon the best?

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

6 years minimum. But ideally more.

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

15+ for the rye mash generally. EC18 is great, but most of the stuff I really like from Heaven Hill comes from the Oprhan Barrel series. Barterhouse is a staple, 20 year old HH for $80 - yes please. McKenna and Elijah Craig (NAS and BP) are okay in the ~9-12 year range, but there are stuff I like better from other brands (Four Roses, Barton, BT) around this age/price point.

For their wheated mash, VS Old Fitz 12 is quite good, as is the HH sourced Rebel Yell 10 year. I haven't had any of the OF BIB decanters, but I expect I would like those too.

• 3 weeks later...

First time tasting this, stumbled across it unexpectedly at $34.99– tastes like barrel-proof Basil Hayden 8yo to me...

665FC519-3FEA-4498-8A16-DDE6274AC450.thumb.jpeg.01a84f8a1eea09a8dd305a6e019daed3.jpeg

• I like it 1

First time tasting this, stumbled across it unexpectedly at $34.99– tastes like barrel-proof Basil Hayden 8yo to me...

665FC519-3FEA-4498-8A16-DDE6274AC450.thumb.jpeg.01a84f8a1eea09a8dd305a6e019daed3.jpeg

I also seem to get a Beam profile when I’ve tasted it, even though most sources point to Heaven Hill as the origin of the bourbon.

I believe others mentioned airing this out a tad. This has really opened up for me and a solid BP bourbon at $39.99. Maybe I just had a good palate day but everything was clicking for me.  I had mixed feelings at first but totally recommend now.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:55 PM, Marekv8 said:

So basically a few additional years on OGD114?  I wish Beam/Suntory would do that. 

34 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

So basically a few additional years on OGD114?  I wish Beam/Suntory would do that. 

I tried it again today SBS with both OGD 114 and BH10 and my opinion from last night stands. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, Marekv8 said:

I tried it again today SBS with both OGD 114 and BH10 and my opinion from last night stands. 

I saw my first bottle today by happenstance.  I was looking for a 6th bottle to get a 15% discount.  I went to the front of the liquor store to see if they carried any small bottles (50 ml, 200 ml) of cognac for my son.  He wanted to try it and I told him it is better to get a few different brands to see 1) if he likes it and 2) which brands he likes.  I just happened to glance up to see a botlle of EB 7 YO BS on the top shelf.  And with that, I had found my 6th bottle.

I really like it.  Even though it is lower rye (10%), I can see what you are saying about similarities to Basil Hayden.  This batch is 117 proof and easily drinkable at that proof.  However, I still proofed it down to 105 and didn't notice any change is flavor or viscosity.  I really like it.  I know it is NDP.  I was reading a recent post by @PaulO about the potential for variability in NDP products.  Just curious, Ezra Brooks has long been rumored to be produced by Heaven Hill.  I would think Luxco has a strong buying relationship with whomever their supplier is.  However, I seem to recall that their brands tend to be more regional.  Has anyone who has had bottles from different batches noticed differences in profile between the batches?

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I saw my first bottle today by happenstance.  I was looking for a 6th bottle to get a 15% discount.  I went to the front of the liquor store to see if they carried any small bottles (50 ml, 200 ml) of cognac for my son.  He wanted to try it and I told him it is better to get a few different brands to see 1) if he likes it and 2) which brands he likes.  I just happened to glance up to see a botlle of EB 7 YO BS on the top shelf.  And with that, I had found my 6th bottle.

I really like it.  Even though it is lower rye (10%), I can see what you are saying about similarities to Basil Hayden.  This batch is 117 proof and easily drinkable at that proof.  However, I still proofed it down to 105 and didn't notice any change is flavor or viscosity.  I really like it.  I know it is NDP.  I was reading a recent post by @PaulO about the potential for variability in NDP products.  Just curious, Ezra Brooks has long been rumored to be produced by Heaven Hill.  I would think Luxco has a strong buying relationship with whomever their supplier is.  However, I seem to recall that their brands tend to be more regional.  Has anyone who has had bottles from different batches noticed differences in profile between the batches?

I've found them to be as consistent as two different batches from any of the "actual" distilling producers. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.