Sources for rare bourbon

schwoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m relatively new to the forum, don’t want to break any rules. But are we allowed to discuss or provide any links to bourbon sites in the secondary market?

I’m trying to find reliable sources to purchase Pappy, michters, etc...

Thanks for any recommendations.

I appreciate any input.

You would probably be better off finding that kind of stuff on facebook. Lotsa secondary stuff goes on there. 

42 minutes ago, schwoo said:

But are we allowed to discuss or provide any links to bourbon sites in the secondary market?

No.

• I like it 1

Not judging, but that’s just not appropriate conversation on SB.  

• I like it 1

There are lots of licensed retail establishments that have limited bourbons at secondary prices. I don’t think that is inappropriate. Perhaps look in the “Passed Up” or “Liquor Store Huh Moments” threads to see...

Edited by Saul_cooperstein

There are lots of licensed retail establishments that have limited bourbons at secondary prices. I don’t think that is inappropriate. Perhaps look in the “Passed Up” or “Liquor Store Huh Moments” threads to see...

Thanks for your help/ advice. Appreciate it.

If you want to buy at secondary prices you can always search for stuff on Winesearcher.com, as an added benefit some stores are nice enough to charge even more for the convenience! 

If you want to buy at secondary prices you can always search for stuff on Winesearcher.com, as an added benefit some stores are nice enough to charge even more for the convenience! 

Thanks for the info. I used to get some stuff from master of malt..... but they stopped shipping to the U.S.

Really?  <_<

You started a new thread on the site "Moderator Approval", and your first post here was the following: Applied months ago.... how long does it take?  I'm a moderator here, and I don't have the power to approve memberships. However, your membership was approved back in October of last year. There's been a couple of changes to the site since then, so I'm gonna guess that you probably haven't checked things out here in a while. There's also a users agreement you agreed to before your membership was approved. There's explanations about our site rules there. Did you read it before agreeing to it? Also, and FWIW, there is a "Helpful Hints For New Members"  thread that might be of more help. Again, I'm guessing you probably didn't take the time to check that out either. You also didn't provide any information at all about yourself in your user profile. Some folks do, and some folks don't, but..........

Your second post on SB was the start to this thread. Many folks here and elsewhere look for the elusive LE's and other hard to find items. A lot of us have done our homework, paid our dues, and cultivated relationships over many years. With a little luck, there's a slight chance that once in a great while we just might be able to find something hard to get that we don't have to pay a freaking ridiculous price for. In other words, we have a hard enough time finding things for ourselves, so why should we help someone whose first post on our site is basically, "Know where I can find some Pappy?"  I've been a member here for going on eleven years now. Over that time, I've found out that it's usually not the best of signs when a members first post is either "Know where I can find some Pappy?' or "I've got a Pappy for sale. What'll you give me for it?' Just sayin' ..... 

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me, or any other staff member here on SB. 

Joe

• I like it 2

If you want to chase the unicorns feel free. Personally, I could take the $1200 you are going to spend of Pappy 20 yr and fill up a grocery cart of exceptional whiskies. 

• I like it 2

Really?  <_>  
You started a new thread on the site "Moderator Approval", and your first post here was the following: Applied months ago.... how long does it take?  I'm a moderator here, and I don't have the power to approve memberships. However, your membership was approved back in October of last year. There's been a couple of changes to the site since then, so I'm gonna guess that you probably haven't checked things out here in a while. There's also a users agreement you agreed to before your membership was approved. There's explanations about our site rules there. Did you read it before agreeing to it? Also, and FWIW, there is a "Helpful Hints For New Members"  thread that might be of more help. Again, I'm guessing you probably didn't take the time to check that out either. You also didn't provide any information at all about yourself in your user profile. Some folks do, and some folks don't, but..........

Your second post on SB was the start to this thread. Many folks here and elsewhere look for the elusive LE's and other hard to find items. A lot of us have done our homework, paid our dues, and cultivated relationships over many years. With a little luck, there's a slight chance that once in a great while we just might be able to find something hard to get that we don't have to pay a freaking ridiculous price for. In other words, we have a hard enough time finding things for ourselves, so why should we help someone whose first post on our site is basically, "Know where I can find some Pappy?"  I've been a member here for going on eleven years now. Over that time, I've found out that it's usually not the best of signs when a members first post is either "Know where I can find some Pappy?' or "I've got a Pappy for sale. What'll you give me for it?' Just sayin' ..... 

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me, or any other staff member here on SB. 

Joe

For a while, I was unable to post, I kept receiving a note stating moderator approval pending. After reading your post I totally understand where you’re coming from. No harm intended. In retrospect it was a bad move on my part. I should’ve realized that we all enjoy bourbon, and that we are all on the same hunt. Thank you for pointing out the reality of just how difficult pappy van winkle is to obtain. I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot. I have been working on this form for a while and have really enjoyed learning. Will be extra careful to think twice before posting.

There are sooooooo many good bourbons out there that are a lot less expensive than PVW, and some are even atainable.  Don't let the search for VW keep you from trying some stellar bottles, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, Hancock's Presidents Reserve (can you tell I like BT Mash Bill #2?), WTRB, WTKS, Russells Reserve, CEHT SmB, RY 10 y.o., FR SmB, FR SiB, and the list goes on and on.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

If you want to spend secondary $$$$ on the hype train it's your money and plenty of liquor stores with an online presence will be happy to take it.  With moderate experience you'll probably find you can get 90%+ of what you seek in unicorns out of bottles that sit on the shelf for ~$50.   

Some folks suggest finding a bar or restaurant that stocks LE bottles.  On premise accounts actually get the bulk of the big name LE releases (so that's where they are).  Maybe an expensive pour, but you can try it.  See for yourself how much you like it.  Decide if the money and or leg work is worth a bottle.

• I like it 3

I think most would agree after one pour that the majority of these are worth 1/10 of what they are going for.

22 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

I think most would agree after one pour that the majority of these are worth 1/10 of what they are going for.

I would agree that most aren't worth the price on the aftermarket, unless, you're dying to try these things.  I don't mind paying aftermarket for things that I absolutely want to try.  These are still typically one-offs however, as I don't mind drinking some great stuff that's still available in stores for $100 or less (ok, sometimes I'll play in the $100-200 range, damn you KY OWL!).  

While I understand the aversion to discussing aftermarket, and I'm opposed to this being a trading/selling message board, providing referrals to online aftermarkets that people have taken part in, or recommend, shouldn't be too much trouble.  I'm always curious about not just the whiskey in the bottle, or the history of the distillery, but also the economics of it all.  For instance, I want to better understand why I can't find Rock Hill Farms for less than $100 anymore.  

As this hobby expands, and believe it, whiskey is now in the hobby realm (which means collectors pricing, and false scarcity), knowing the entire sphere of creation, aging, bottling, distribution (or lack thereof), pricing, scarcity and hoarding (anyone with a bunker is in fact, hoarding, and contributing to the "scarcity" and the aftermarket "value" of some of these bottles) is incredibly important to not getting fleeced, or discouraged.  In any hobby, knowledge is power, and patience is even more important.  

This is why I don't mind aftermarket pricing discussion personally.  I find value in it as part of the overall hobby.  

4 hours ago, mikeydk said:

This is why I don't mind aftermarket pricing discussion personally.  I find value in it as part of the overall hobby.  

There's hobby and there's legal. I've had different hobbies that involve buying items not readily available on store shelves (vintage razors, watches, leather goods, antiques, etc.) and boards are a great way to spread the word and extend the marketplace. But none of those items required a license, and items could be bought/sold/traded without breaking the law. Not so with alcohol. I don't see any useful reason for discussion that facilitates illegal activity.

If you want to discuss if the law is just and should it change, that's a different point, and we might be on agreement there, but the current law is pretty clear on the matter. It's like having an opinion on tax rates vs. hosting a discussion on how to actively avoid paying taxes.

Edited by dad-proof

Always make friends with your local liquor store I have a local shop that's a mom Pop shop that I buy everything from Ice beer and wine and my regular Bourbons from and when the seasons come along they'll usually hold back some harder to get releases for me one one day there I scored Elmer T Lee eh Taylor Single Barrel birthday bourbon and a Weller

1 hour ago, DEH1212 said:

Always make friends with your local liquor store I have a local shop that's a mom Pop shop that I buy everything from Ice beer and wine and my regular Bourbons from and when the seasons come along they'll usually hold back some harder to get releases for me one one day there I scored Elmer T Lee eh Taylor Single Barrel birthday bourbon and a Weller

You are wise beyond your years, young Skywalker.

I was in DC last week and popped into a few liquor stores. There was plenty of Pappy, and BT antique collection in town. One store had a case of pappy 12 year along with 10 year, 15 year 20 year. The only one I asked about was the The 12 year thinking maybe I could buy one. The price was 600.00 bucks. So if you got some money to burn head to DC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.