Irish friend

Davelovesbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been gifted a business trip to Ireland next month and I’d like to show my appreciation to my friend by bringing him a nice bottle of bourbon, specifically one that is NOT typically available in Ireland.   Problem is, I have no idea what IS available there (noting that the big boys are....Jack, Jim, etc...).   

So, small batch, cask, or craft I assume.  Budget up to $100.   Any thoughtful responses would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

You can never go wrong with Bookers, Bakers, or Blanton's, if you can find one locally.   

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Go to Macadoodles and buy Col. EH Taylor Small Batch, it is also bottled in bond 100 proof.  If they don't have that Wild Turkey Rare Breed cask strength is a nice alternative.  I believe Macadoodles and Wal-Mart (jane mo.) also carry Eagle Rare 10 yr old. 

Edited by kaiserhog
  • I like it 1

I’d check out Master of Malt to see what’s available on their site. If it’s on there, then you can assume it’s readily available in Ireland, but some bourbon may be a lot more expensive. ECBP, Four Roses Cask Strength private selections, Stagg Jr, Bookers, Rebel Yell SB 10yr and some others are possible choices within your budget. Any of the three Wild Turkey Masters Keep selections from the last three years would also be good choices, but are above your budget.

• I like it 1

Stay away from craft. Too few gems among many poor values. Stagg Jr., Booker’s, Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Elijah Craig, Four Roses Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed or some combination of two will be in your price range, readily available and will deliver. 

• I like it 1

Any idea what his whiskey preferences are?  Just got back from Ireland, and in talking with locals in pubs I left with the impression that high proof whiskey wasn't popular there (a bartender warned me about the high alcohol content in a dram I ordered - which was 46%; and those sitting near me seemed surprised I wasn't adding more water/ice before sipping!)  Agree with staying away from craft, but I'd perhaps consider high quality lower proof offerings unless you know they like the higher proof stuff (like Blantons).

• I like it 2

I would search for a quality Single Barrel. These typically offer a unique taste profile and are not available out of the US. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

Any idea what his whiskey preferences are?  Just got back from Ireland, and in talking with locals in pubs I left with the impression that high proof whiskey wasn't popular there (a bartender warned me about the high alcohol content in a dram I ordered - which was 46%; and those sitting near me seemed surprised I wasn't adding more water/ice before sipping!)  Agree with staying away from craft, but I'd perhaps consider high quality lower proof offerings unless you know they like the higher proof stuff (like Blantons).

+1. Reading the thread, I was going to say much the same about high-proof, and also older aged bourbons, which tend to have a much stronger oak influence compared to Irish and Scotch Whisky. Blanton's is available in Ireland, but it's not everywhere, so still a solid choice. The standard Four Roses Single Barrel (100 proof) or Baker's (107) would be my high-end for proof and age. Looking at options not available in Ireland (to my knowledge), I would probably land on:

Old Forester 1870 - Classic flavors, easy drinking, 90 proof, with nice packaging and a story, which is a nice bonus when it comes to gifting.

Edited by dad-proof
  • I like it 2

I sincerely appreciate all the thoughtful and informed responses.   Thanks!

Let us know what you get.

I was thinking a single barrel selection might seem more special.  

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the barrel proof versions either (so long as you give your friend some pointers on dilution).

The store picks of Knob Creek Single Barrel and Russel's Reserve have gotten a lot of good reviews around here lately.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.