Green rye labels?

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This may be a trivial question, but does anyone have any info on why ryes have tended to be distinguished from bourbons by often having green themed labels or tops? I know this isn’t universal and I do like it as a quick indicator when scanning through a group of bottles, I just have never heard how that started

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

This may be a trivial question, but does anyone have any info on why ryes have tended to be distinguished from bourbons by often having green themed labels or tops? I know this isn’t universal and I do like it as a quick indicator when scanning through a group of bottles, I just have never heard how that started

Interesting question but I don't know the answer. It tends to be the case more with bigger brands like Beam, WT, Woodford, Dickel, Bulleit (if you want to call that big) but not HH. Craft brands seem to be less likely to use green prominently.

BT and JD don't use green labels either. And BT, JD and HH have bourbons that have green on the label. So maybe for some brands it is just a way to distinguish a rye from a bourbon more easily.

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

BT and JD don't use green labels either. And BT, JD and HH have bourbons that have green on the label. So maybe for some brands it is just a way to distinguish a rye from a bourbon more easily.

Well BT, JD and HH don’t use green on all their rye products but all 3 use green on at least one of their ryes   

EC9AE368-5EE9-4F7D-8DF5-1F695A55D085.jpeg

DA125C70-6FA2-4D69-B668-98C54170F3C9.jpeg

5035BBF6-C921-4B76-94B9-438F261EF29D.png

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I do assume as well it is just a way to distinguish, just wondering if there is a specific reason many producers starts using it. Maybe just one did and then others copied it? Like I said it’s a trivial question but once in a while I just wonder about random things

5 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I do assume as well it is just a way to distinguish, just wondering if there is a specific reason many producers starts using it. Maybe just one did and then others copied it? Like I said it’s a trivial question but once in a while I just wonder about random things

I, too, wondered about green rye labels.  But like tanstaafl2, I also knew some producers didn't follow this convention.  BUT, I kind of wish it were true even if it isn't universally true.

I, too, wondered about green rye labels.  But like tanstaafl2, I also knew some producers didn't follow this convention.  BUT, I kind of wish it were true even if it isn't universally true.

Lame way to describe this but to me ryes have a taste I more associate with green colors, such as mint etc. To me the green labeling seem logical.
  • I like it 1

Dad's Hat has decided to change its Straight Rye label from the black and gold theme to a green theme to coincide with our move to minimum 4 year age for all of our Straight Rye starting in October 2018.  We noticed that many consumers do associate the green color with rye, so we decided to join the party

• I like it 7

• 4 weeks later...

25 years ago there were basically three rye mashes on the commercial market: Jim Beam (Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt), Heaven Hill (Pikesville, Stephen Foster, Rittenhouse), and Wild Turkey. Most had white or cream colored labels, and Beam Rye had a bright canary label, but Wild Turkey had a Hunter Green label. It was the only rye at the time with a green label. I believe that's where the recent trend started. 

(As an aside, the distilleries that did produce it only made it for one or two days out of the distilling year.)  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.