I need a recommendation

foppa78
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A family member will be traveling I-70 from Kansas City to Pittsburgh and would like to pick up a nice bottle of bourbon or 2 while on this trip. Does anyone know of any shops along this route that are known for having great store picks? Unfortunately, due to time, they will not be able to venture too far off route. I appreciate any help.

That's a fun drive!  Speaking from experience, nothing too good in Pittsburgh.  We are state-controlled so selection can be limited.  All liquor would be purchased at a state store, so pretty generic (JB, JD, MM, WT etc.).

Any of the Coxes Smokers outlets have good store picks on at least 5 brands.. I have picked up 4 1792 FPSP in past week at the one on Shellbyville Rd.  Woodford Double oaked and 4 Roses picks allways on shelf and  now RR SP.  

They could try Payless or Big Red Liquors in Indy area. It is possible they could have some nicer items for sale.

9 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

That's a fun drive!  Speaking from experience, nothing too good in Pittsburgh.  We are state-controlled so selection can be limited.  All liquor would be purchased at a state store, so pretty generic (JB, JD, MM, WT etc.).

Thanks for this info.

4 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Any of the Coxes Smokers outlets have good store picks on at least 5 brands.. I have picked up 4 1792 FPSP in past week at the one on Shellbyville Rd.  Woodford Double oaked and 4 Roses picks allways on shelf and  now RR SP.  

Unless there are other locations that are off I-70 these are too far off the route for this trip. Thanks though.

18 hours ago, elmossle said:

They could try Payless or Big Red Liquors in Indy area. It is possible they could have some nicer items for sale.

Thanks elmossle. Both Payless and Big Red appear to have locations near I-70. If I had to pick one, which do you think would likely have a better store pick? I'm not after anything rare, just a nice pick. I appreciate the help.

Where in KC and what are they looking for?  I tend to find more in my home market than I do abroad...

If I remember correctly, Payless has a longer history of store picks being available. Will they still?? That is a good question. I guess you could always call ahead.

• I like it 1

Pennsylvania state stores usually have Eagle Rare stocked on the shelf.

Blanton's seems to be on the shelf quite frequently as well.

Other bottles of interest are the 4 Roses barrel proof picks.  PA has been doing quite a few in the past couple years.

• I like it 1

On 8/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, foppa78 said:

Thanks elmossle. Both Payless and Big Red appear to have locations near I-70. If I had to pick one, which do you think would likely have a better store pick? I'm not after anything rare, just a nice pick. I appreciate the help.

I'd say Big Red over Payless.  Also there is a Crown Liquors in downtown Indy.  They do some nice barrel selections too.

• I like it 1

Driving through Louisville instead of Indianapolis only takes a few minutes more, but your choices of good stocked Bourbon stores increases drastically. 

Just an idea...

• I like it 2

Got a chuckle thinking how far I could push that. 

"Hey Boss, I need to drive from Hartford to Bethesda. By way of Louisville.  It only takes a few minutes more!" 

On 8/29/2018 at 11:09 PM, PaulO said:

I'd say Big Red over Payless.  Also there is a Crown Liquors in downtown Indy.  They do some nice barrel selections too.

I've really enjoyed some Crown picks that I've had (a 10 year OESQ comes to mind).

• I like it 1

On 8/28/2018 at 9:56 PM, gurgalunas said:

Where in KC and what are they looking for?  I tend to find more in my home market than I do abroad...

We are in Lees Summit. Not after anything in particular. Not after anything rare. Just thought with the long road trip there might be a good chance to pick up a very nice store pick so that we could get an idea of what a very good barrel tastes like. Knob Creek 120 is a favorite of ours but not specifically after that. Where in the KC/PC area have you had good luck with nice store pick bottles?

On 8/28/2018 at 10:06 PM, elmossle said:

If I remember correctly, Payless has a longer history of store picks being available. Will they still?? That is a good question. I guess you could always call ahead.

Thank you. I will look them up.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, PaulO said:

Thank you. Indy is looking like a good stop.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:58 AM, JvW said:

Driving through Louisville instead of Indianapolis only takes a few minutes more, but your choices of good stocked Bourbon stores increases drastically. 

Just an idea...

I wish this could happen but it can't on this trip. 

Thanks to everyone for the help offered. It worked out well to get a nice store pick from the Crown Liquor in Indy. I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

5 hours ago, foppa78 said:

Thanks to everyone for the help offered. It worked out well to get a nice store pick from the Crown Liquor in Indy. I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

Wadyagit?

10 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Wadyagit?

They had a store pick of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. I've never had it so I hope it is good.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, foppa78 said:

They had a store pick of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. I've never had it so I hope it is good.

I picked up one of those when I visited StL this summer.  Excellent bourbon for my tastes.

10 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I picked up one of those when I visited StL this summer.  Excellent bourbon for my tastes.

Very nice. The guy at Crown said that it was a fantastic barrel. It smells great and I'm looking forward to trying it soon. People seem to compare Kentucky Spirit to Rare Breed. I haven't had either one of them. Fair comparison? I don't understand why Kentucky Spirit is more expensive but again I haven't had them.

2 minutes ago, foppa78 said:

Very nice. The guy at Crown said that it was a fantastic barrel. It smells great and I'm looking forward to trying it soon. People seem to compare Kentucky Spirit to Rare Breed. I haven't had either one of them. Fair comparison? I don't understand why Kentucky Spirit is more expensive but again I haven't had them.

Kentucky Spirit is a single barrel bottled at 101 proof. Rare Breed is a blend of barrels bottled at barrel proof and it’s price is inching closer to Kentucky Spirit every day where I am. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.