Teelling Whiskey Distillery Tour Notes

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen a couple folks had shared pictures and notes from their tours of Teeling as well (but within the context of another thread topic), and we don't have a section for Distillery Tours outside of the "Bourbon" arena (Straightbourbon - understandable :)).  My Dad and I got to do their tour a couple of weeks ago while in Dublin.  We weren't there on a whiskey-oriented trip (father/son trip to connect with distant relations and take a Trafalgar tour that introduced us to a big part of the country; Belfast, Derry, Donegal, Galway, Killarney, Kilkenny, Waterford, and Dublin).  But - we did manage to book tickets for Teeling (and the Jameson Distillery Bow St. Experience).  I thought it was quite well done; tour guide was well informed - clearly well trained.  I asked a question about their yeast (any unique provenance, or just the standard industrial stuff) and she was immediately able to talk about how they use a combination of traditional distillers yeast that is used by many, as well as something they found in South Africa used in white wine that imparts fruity notes to the spirit.  I thought they were pretty transparent that the whiskey we were tasting wasn't made there (they spent time on how their Dad had set barrels aside while managing another distillery from 1988 until a few years back, and that is the spirit we'd be tasting that day or buying under their label).  They never said Cooley, but I think she alluded to the distillery's location, etc.  The tasting was also quite nice.  In fact, it was our 15th day in Ireland when we did the tour, and I hadn't yet bought a proper bottle (excluding 50mLs).  I rather enjoyed everything in their offering - the Small Batch (for the money, this may be one of my favorite Irish whiskies), the Single Malt, the Revival Vol V, and the 'distillery exclusive' which was my favorite - a 9 yr port matured single malt (cask strength, NCF).

Here are a couple of pics.  I did a more in-depth write up as well for anyone interested.  I'd definitely recommend it.  I wish we would have had more time to hit Pears Lyons, as I've heard good things about that as well.

My Dad at the tasting area  - having found Irish whiskey he actually LIKED! (ok - to be fair, he had found some he liked before this)

IMG_6221.thumb.JPG.3f9ccc3ff4e73a9a82642e55c95a6c19.JPG

Pretty nice gift shop - I liked how open it was (and right next to a bar so if you wanted to go buy a taste of something . . . )

IMG_6222.thumb.JPG.c0cea76527c47700aba5792341d57291.JPG

I would have loved to have tried the 20+ yr Rum cask matured single malt . . . but then again, for 350 euro, maybe I'm better of never knowing!  Note that the "fill date" is a bit misleading; I had to get them to clarify and double-check, since the port has a fill date of Aug 2007, which would make it 11 yrs old - not 9 yrs old.  They tanked that one in 2016 (there is a steel container in that barrel, they just change out the contents and the head for the "fill your own" experience); so I'm not sure when they tanked the other - never asked).

IMG_6224.thumb.JPG.14dbb33ff1faecda15ddddcb64028c20.JPG

• I like it 3

Forgot to mention - if you spend 100 euro or more in their gift shop, they throw in a free cap!

IMG_6227.thumb.JPG.71982919cc2ec73f443043e528b5a44e.JPGIMG_6228.thumb.JPG.b8bbf63564dc6eebc42d2620246076d3.JPG

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

You didn't miss much at Pearse Lyons. It's a dog and pony show tiny distillery that does like 1.5 barrels a day in production. The main production for PL is off site. 

The Irish history in the adjoining cemetery is interesting, which makes the tour fun, but the "distillery operation" is a bad joke compared to what we're used to.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Teeling. They make great whisky...that costs too much for what it is.

Almost nothing we had during the tasting had actually been distilled at the distillery we toured, since it is too young to have produced mature stock. I'd say 98% of the tour had no clue about that, and didn't care.

So long as people are willing to pay, then good luck to them and fleece away! I hope it funds distillery or warehouse expansion, because someday when whisky is again not the "it" product, maybe the value proposition will get in line with where I'll be very interested, indeed.

Like you, they had a few products in the gift shop where I thought "that would probably taste great, but at that price I'm comfortable never knowing"

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.