Good Craft Brew Article by Aaron Goldfarb

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I continue to be a fan of Aaron Goldfarb’s work.  His writings are typically well researched, well written, thought provoking, and without an overdose of intent to sway the reader one way or the other.  This one is no different.  He wrote a very good article recently on the Craft Brewery angst going on as fans of craft brews deal with their space seemingly going beyond the small and local identity they have had.  Good stuff.

https://vinepair.com/articles/us-vs-them-all-over-again/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pagepost

On 8/30/2018 at 8:36 PM, smokinjoe said:

I continue to be a fan of Aaron Goldfarb’s work.  His writings are typically well researched, well written, thought provoking, and without an overdose of intent to sway the reader one way or the other.  This one is no different.  He wrote a very good article recently on the Craft Brewery angst going on as fans of craft brews deal with their space seemingly going beyond the small and local identity they have had.  Good stuff.

https://vinepair.com/articles/us-vs-them-all-over-again/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pagepost

I dunno. I would have to know if this post about the article is supported by “us” or “them” before deciding if I can support it...

:o

When Devils Backbone, maker of Vienna Lager which I bought by the case, was acquired by AB, I noted that the flavor didn't change so paid no attention.  When AB started making its "craft" line, I tasted them and liked (some of) them.

As with bourbon, my consumption of beer is based on taste, not on who makes it.  "Us" v. "them" for me is an issue only with that first taste.  Now, if I were in advertising or were a corporate person in the business, I'd probably care which side I was on.  Competition can get personal.

BTW, is Boston Beer Company an "us" or "them"?  

EDIT - Shelf space being occupied by bourbon nowadays, I only buy DBVL by the six-pack.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

On 9/1/2018 at 11:46 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

BTW, is Boston Beer Company an "us" or "them"?  

Definitely yes! B)

• I like it 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the post.  It is an interesting article and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I think the us vs them point is a very good one but I also think that another issue in the craft beer industry is that craft beer drinkers are always looking for the next unique beer and not buying a brewery’s standard bearer in sufficient quantities to keep the lights on.  I have a friend that is big into craft beers and a cicerone that is always looking for the next unique beer. He has a list of all the beers that he has tried and never buys the same beer twice.  He is always looking for the next unique beer. I did this as well but not to the extent that he has and always had a few beers that I bought regularly.  After some reading about the current issues in the craft beer area, I have focused more on buying the flagship beers from a few breweries, regardless of their size or affiliation.

For me, my go to beers are from New Belgium, Kona, and Sam Adams.  These are my regular rotations.  I will also buy from Bell’s and Latitude 42 locally here in SW Michigan and will buy Guinness in the Winter (also goes into a Carbonnade).  I have become more like others here that it is about drinking something that is consistently good rather than the cachet of a new novel brew (that could taste like old socks).  

The craft beer area is one filled with passions and opinions as well stated in the article.  If your passions drive you to only drink from small microbreweries, then go for it but keep in mind that you need to buy their flagship if you want them to stay in business.  Also understand that if they are successful, then you will probably need to move on as they will become one of “them”.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.