An fun afternoon of cask analysis.....

WhiskeyBlender
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey Fellas, 

I sure hope this doesn't come off as shameless self-promotion, or shameless promotion for a few of the brands I blend for, but at any rate, I'm just wrapping up a very fun afternoon of doing some finishing cask analysis for what will become batches #10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 of Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend bourbon, batch #2 of Jos. Magnus Murray Hill Club Special Release finished in Pineau des Charentes casks, and batch #3 of J. Henry & Sons Bellefontaine Reserve (finished in Cognac casks). 

In the photos I've posted below, I have some of the barrels I went through today, with my dog, appropriately named "Brandy," relaxing in her chair in the background. I've also posted a photo of one of the new 300 liter Armagnac barrels from my favorite French cooperage, Tonnellerie Vicard, where I sourced my new Armagnac casks for Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend bourbon. My old barrels are 400 liter, so these will obviously be smaller and will have some fresher oak (though not "fresh" or new in the way we often think of in the bourbon world, they just have a little more in the way of extractives than the older 400 liter barrels). 

Whether or not I'm analyzing a finishing cask or just a regular 52 gallon bourbon barrel that hasn't been finished at all, it is incredibly fun to just watch how all casks change from the dormant winter months into the warmer months, where the barrels really have a lot more acid & ester development, etc. As the cool months start to come on, blending season will come to an end. 

On that note, hope everyone is imbibing something delicious this September Friday evening, as the summer season starts to wind down. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 6

I love these posts and would love to see more, thank you for sharing.

Do you also work with J. Henry or is that a repurposed bottle?

Hey HoustonNit, yes, I do also work with J. Henry! I started working with them in 2013, and I've been doing all their blends, picking Patton Road Reserves, and other products ever since. I have to say, they're absolutely fantastic and are just wonderful people. The oldest of their stock still in barrels (2010 to 2012) is really exceptional, and is destined to age somewhere between 8 to 12 years old. I can't wait until that stock finally gets bottled. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey Fellas, 

I sure hope this doesn't come off as shameless self-promotion, or shameless promotion for a few of the brands I blend for, but at any rate, I'm just wrapping up a very fun afternoon of doing some finishing cask analysis for what will become batches #10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 of Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend bourbon, batch #2 of Jos. Magnus Murray Hill Club Special Release finished in Pineau des Charentes casks, and batch #3 of J. Henry & Sons Bellefontaine Reserve (finished in Cognac casks). 

In the photos I've posted below, I have some of the barrels I went through today, with my dog, appropriately named "Brandy," relaxing in her chair in the background. I've also posted a photo of one of the new 300 liter Armagnac barrels from my favorite French cooperage, Tonnellerie Vicard, where I sourced my new Armagnac casks for Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend bourbon. My old barrels are 400 liter, so these will obviously be smaller and will have some fresher oak (though not "fresh" or new in the way we often think of in the bourbon world, they just have a little more in the way of extractives than the older 400 liter barrels). 

Whether or not I'm analyzing a finishing cask or just a regular 52 gallon bourbon barrel that hasn't been finished at all, it is incredibly fun to just watch how all casks change from the dormant winter months into the warmer months, where the barrels really have a lot more acid & ester development, etc. As the cool months start to come on, blending season will come to an end. 

On that note, hope everyone is imbibing something delicious this September Friday evening, as the summer season starts to wind down. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

Some may see it as promotion but I see it as informative and interesting. Please continue to share what you’re up to!

This is great, I would love to see more photos and hear more about the blending process! I don't have any specific questions, but I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm biased because I've met you and selected a barrel with you but I love this kind of info.

Well I've never met Nancy and can say that I find her contributions here to be among the most interesting and enjoyable to read especially compared to many of the speculative posts (I've certainly made my share).

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.