FasterHorses

MGP

FasterHorses

Was reading about some of the current MGP bottlings. What are SBs thoughts/ratings as compared to when SAOS was getting barrels from MGP

Belle Meade

Metzes

New Riff

Boone County

OKI

Ryes

James Pepper

Whistle Pig 12

Redemption

AE

from what i can tell, BM is going the route of SAOS and moving away from MGP. Have heard that the BElle Meade is actually better than SAOS was. Thoughts? Will Boone County be the next in line to get the first choice at MGP barrels?

Set me straight if I’m off on any or all of the above... im sure there is a ton of knowledge on this subject here about this. 

FasterHorses

Continued looking and found this extremely informative related thread.

• I like it 1

kevinbrink

I never thought that SAOS was any better than other brands that bottled MGP only that they were the best value when they were around. There were definitely some gems especially some store picks but that is true of most single barrel products. Right now I mostly buy Backbone Uncut to fill my MGP BP Bourbon needs and I'm living off of Redemption 7 year Rye, which has always been one of my favorites. I have a Boone County 12 BP and it is great. The Pepper BP is young but tasty enough the older bottles of straight NAS 100 proof rye are better. I can't recommend WP 12, though I love the ADL distilled WP 10. You have New Riff and OKI listed separately but OKI was New Riff's NDP label for their MGP bottles and they aren't doing it now that they have they 4 year old distillate. Other Rye Options that you might find, Sagamore Spirit, Turley Mill, Rossville Union (MGP's new house label). The current George Remus label has replaced the Metze's bottlings. 

• I like it 1

Whiskeythink.com

I really enjoy the Blaum Bros 10, & recently got a Blaum Bros 11 store pic. All great MGP juice.

• I like it 1

CUfan99
2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I never thought that SAOS was any better than other brands that bottled MGP only that they were the best value when they were around. There were definitely some gems especially some store picks but that is true of most single barrel products. Right now I mostly buy Backbone Uncut to fill my MGP BP Bourbon needs and I'm living off of Redemption 7 year Rye, which has always been one of my favorites. I have a Boone County 12 BP and it is great. The Pepper BP is young but tasty enough the older bottles of straight NAS 100 proof rye are better. I can't recommend WP 12, though I love the ADL distilled WP 10. You have New Riff and OKI listed separately but OKI was New Riff's NDP label for their MGP bottles and they aren't doing it now that they have they 4 year old distillate. Other Rye Options that you might find, Sagamore Spirit, Turley Mill, Rossville Union (MGP's new house label). The current George Remus label has replaced the Metze's bottlings. 

I was late to the MGP party and have only had a 10 yr BMSiB. It's a very good bourbon and price at just over $60. I haven't found anymore MGP in my area other than Backbone Uncut, WP and Sagamore Spirit. The Backbone Uncut was too pricey for me at $50 for a 5 year old bourbon. 

• I like it 1

kevinbrink
9 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I was late to the MGP party and have only had a 10 yr BMSiB. It's a very good bourbon and price at just over $60. I haven't found anymore MGP in my area other than Backbone Uncut, WP and Sagamore Spirit. The Backbone Uncut was too pricey for me at $50 for a 5 year old bourbon. 

I'm swimming in $40 7 & 8 year Backbone Uncut so I guess YMMV

• I like it 1

PaulO

No mention of Bulleit Rye or Dickel Rye?  Both are MGP sourced.  Dickel goes through charcoal filtering at some point in the process.  I'd buy whichever one was the better deal - both are 90 proof NAS.

FasterHorses
10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Thanks Kevin. This is great. I dont know if Ive seen the backbone uncut. Will have to read up on that one. I know where I can get the Redemption 7 and 9. And the Nelson distillery is less than 10 miles from my house. Boone County 10 and 12 are just across the state line . This should keep me busy for the foreseeable future. 

I had been under the impressionthat the larger buyers, historically SAOS and Belle Meade would get  better barrels or at least first choice. And that due to that, the quality may not be up to that level for some of the newer labels. Sounds like from your post that thats not the case. 

• I like it 1

FasterHorses
14 minutes ago, PaulO said:

No mention of Bulleit Rye or Dickel Rye?  Both are MGP sourced.  Dickel goes through charcoal filtering at some point in the process.  I'd buy whichever one was the better deal - both are 90 proof NAS.

Didnt intentionally leave any off the list.. i just dont know all of the bourbons/ryes that come from MGP. The ones on my list were just ones mentioned in the articles i had found. Is Joseph Magnus from MGP as well? 

kevinbrink
3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks Kevin. This is great. I dont know if Ive seen the backbone uncut. Will have to read up on that one. I know where I can get the Redemption 7 and 9. And the Nelson distillery is less than 10 miles from my house. Boone County 10 and 12 are just across the state line . This should keep me busy for the foreseeable future. 

I had been under the impressionthat the larger buyers, historically SAOS and Belle Meade would get  better barrels or at least first choice. And that due to that, the quality may not be up to that level for some of the newer labels. Sounds like from your post that thats not the case. 

I'm sure you will find many to support that idea, truth be told in some way my experience with Redemption would support that as typically I have found their age stated cask strength offerings above average and they certainly move quite a bit of MGP stock. I think the biggest difference between a few years back and now is simply availability of casks, you could ask for a lot more in the glut period if you were sourcing from MGP now someone else is willing to take those casks sight unseen. That being said a number of these distilleries did source years ago and continue aging on-site and that certainly adds in another variable in the final product. 

• I like it 1

kevinbrink
3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Didnt intentionally leave any off the list.. i just dont know all of the bourbons/ryes that come from MGP. The ones on my list were just ones mentioned in the articles i had found. Is Joseph Magnus from MGP as well? 

Yep but profile wise your talking something different there because of blending and Cask Finishing.

PaulO

Willett also sourced some rye from MGP.  Before Willett started bottling their own make, the "distilled in Indiana" was the only WFE with known provenance.

• I like it 1

Whiskeythink.com
13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I believe the latest Magnus is Dickel.

• I like it 1

flahute
13 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I believe the latest Magnus is Dickel.

Not necessarily. They have both Dickel and MGP barrels. As far as I know, the Dickels are only used in their private barrels.