MGP

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Nancy,

what  do you consider “much age”? Do the Boone Countys and Belle Meade 10-12 y/o fall into this category? Are they using up stocks they bought in years past or are these new purchases from MGP?

I'd say that any MGP in that age range that is still at a reasonable price was purchased a while ago.

21 hours ago, wadewood said:

BM was a couple of different MGP bourbon mashbills married together as compared to SAOS which were single barrels of 1 mashbill.  Or at least that was the case when BM started. 

To me, it looks like MGPi with their Remus Bourbon and Rossville Union rye are moving to keeping their older stocks for their own brands.  Either that or they are only selling aged barrels at such high jacked prices that any NDP buying it has to price it over $100 a bottle, at which point any reasonable bourbon consumer should say sayonara.

I think it was about 1-2 years ago when you were on that panel with F.M. and both OS and MGP were on it too.  I thought I heard the rep from MGP (was he a vice president ?) say towards the end of the presentation that MGP would no longer be selling aged bourbon stocks at that time.  They would focus on contract distilling and warehousing on site but due to low volumes of bourbon in particular they had none for sale. ??  I remember a big groan from the audience because I think there were a lot of startups there.

Edited by Cranecreek

1 hour ago, DEH1212 said:

BMCS is a very good bourbon ?

20181028_080210.jpg

31 dollars at my local liquor store.  MGP has fulfilled a very definite niche in the bourbon boom.

Edited by kaiserhog
mistake

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Nancy,

what  do you consider “much age”? Do the Boone Countys and Belle Meade 10-12 y/o fall into this category? Are they using up stocks they bought in years past or are these new purchases from MGP?

Sorry about that, I should have specified. I was thinking, for instance, that there is some 2 year old MGP on the market right now. But MGP 10-12 year is definitely "up there" in age for sure! At Magnus, for instance, the stock is currently 12.5 years old. I've found over the years that in working with MGP stock, whether it be for Magnus or other distilleries I've blended for, that in general, 11 to 13 years old is where that particular bourbon tends to hit its peak. That's not to say that barrels are bad after that- in fact some barrels can be absolutely outstanding- but given the amount of fatty acids and other congeneric content in the MGP bourbon, that age range is where it peaks. 

I've worked with a LOT of MGP bourbon, both with the 21% and 36% recipes, for numerous distilleries since about 2012, and I've seen everything from new make all the way up to 20 years old. Although I'm not generally a fan of young bourbon, I have seem some really good casks at 2 years old, especially for the 36% recipe since rye tends to show fairly well when it is young. But I'd say that the age range from 6 to 8 years is a pretty nice spot for MGP stock. 

At any rate, I digress......

To answer the rest of your question though, I don't know how much Boone Co. or BM bought of their MGP stock that is currently in the 10 to 12 year range, so I don't know how much they're using up. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

I think it was about 1-2 years ago when you were on that panel with F.M. and both OS and MGP were on it too.  I thought I heard the rep from MGP (was he a vice president ?) say towards the end of the presentation that MGP would no longer be selling aged bourbon stocks at that time.  They would focus on contract distilling and warehousing on site but due to low volumes of bourbon in particular they had none for sale. ??  I remember a big groan from the audience because I think there were a lot of startups there.

Here is video of panel discussion at Tales hosted by Fred Minnick with myself, Smooth Ambler's John Little and MGP's Davis Dykstra.  Not sure I recall that info in it, but perhaps.  https://talesofthecocktail.com/videos/products/audacity-sourced-whiskey

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, wadewood said:

Here is video of panel discussion at Tales hosted by Fred Minnick with myself, Smooth Ambler's John Little and MGP's Davis Dykstra.  Not sure I recall that info in it, but perhaps.  https://talesofthecocktail.com/videos/products/audacity-sourced-whiskey

Thanks for posting this, Wade. That's a great discussion panel. 

Some what relevant to the current discussion. 

The dads drinking bourbon tackled the MGP topic recently. As some have alluded to, not all MGP barrels are the same. That said the 21% rye that was laid down in October of 2006 is fantastic. 

6233CD1E-661B-45D9-97B2-33073A8B5689.png

On 10/29/2018 at 10:55 PM, flahute said:

State of distillation should be listed on the label.

Oh!  Duh. 

Thanks for the reminder. 

:)

Southern Distilling Co. in Statesville, NC has been opened for a couple years now. They are distilling their own, but until it is ready they have released several MGP bourbons. All are labeled as high rye and range in price from $50 (for the Standard) to $70 (for the Reserve). They also have released a Reserve Single Barrel for $150, but I haven't seen that one in stores. They also have a wheated White Whiskey (which I assume is the white dog for their future bourbon) at $25. I want to help a small local company, but I just haven't been able to make myself shell out $50 for MGP without trying it in a bar first.

https://www.southerndistillingcompany.com/about-products/

38 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Southern Distilling Co. in Statesville, NC has been opened for a couple years now. They are distilling their own, but until it is ready they have released several MGP bourbons. All are labeled as high rye and range in price from $50 (for the Standard) to $70 (for the Reserve). They also have released a Reserve Single Barrel for $150, but I haven't seen that one in stores. They also have a wheated White Whiskey (which I assume is the white dog for their future bourbon) at $25. I want to help a small local company, but I just haven't been able to make myself shell out $50 for MGP without trying it in a bar first.

https://www.southerndistillingcompany.com/about-products/

I buy MGP on value at this point I know a lot of people swear by SAOS or Belle Meade or whatever, but I can buy 7 year old Backbone Uncut which is BP for under $40 so that's what I've been buying (NJ/NY don't get Belle Meade). There is variation from batch to batch and barrel to barrel but I can't think of a well aged high proof MGP bourbon I've had that was any less than solid so the idea of paying more for any particular label seems silly to me unless the specs (age, finishing, etc) back up the cost. 

Had to choose between two MGP 12 years today. Went with the BM12 SiB over the Blaum Brothers 12. 

enhance

Had to choose between two MGP 12 years today. Went with the BM12 SiB over the Blaum Brothers 12. 

enhance

Didn’t see this before I responded to your post in the “passed on” thread. The Blaum Brothers stuff is pretty good as you’d expect being sourced from MGP. I picked up a Blaum Brothers private select single barrel from Elixir Spirits in September that is excellent.

31 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Didn’t see this before I responded to your post in the “passed on” thread. The Blaum Brothers stuff is pretty good as you’d expect being sourced from MGP. I picked up a Blaum Brothers private select single barrel from Elixir Spirits in September that is excellent.

If i knew there were no LE opportunities  this month id have bought it too. It looks very dark. Want to try that as well as the Boone Co. 12yr. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.