New Wine/Liquor store opened

Backdoctor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A new store has been being worked on for months and finally opened. Stopped in to check on the bourbon. The shelves are not fully stocked, they just felt they had to finally open as in the time it took them to build out in a strip mall a Wawa and Cody's was build and opened from the ground up.

Anyhow, They had a George T Stagg Jr Barrel Proof at about 64% abv for $59.99. I looked online and saw it for $109.99 but read some reviews here that turned me off. They have a case. I like the Booker's Sip A While a lot and also the Backyard BBQ. How does this compare?

They had Eagle Rare, Willet Pot, Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof, some others. More to come. They had Willet Rye 4 year old. Out the door for $45 so I got one. I've been enjoying the 3 year old, this is the first time I saw the 4 year old. Also had Sazerac Rye.

He did have a bottle of the George T Stagg barrel proof, but it was $800 IIRC. Anyhow, a decent start. 

Generally that is called Stagg Jr, and the price is in line with what I find it for. You should absolutely buy a bottle and try it at $60. The George T Stagg is excellent bourbon, but not worth $800.

I’ll echo lc. If you enjoy the high proof Booker’s then Stagg jr is likely right up your alley. 

Stagg Jr can be had for cheaper around FL, but that price isn't exactly a scam either. If you don't see it around very often, I'd grab it.

I think Stagg Jr. is excellent and would likely pay that for it (it's $53 in VA).  The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive for all the releases from Batch 3 and on (there up to Batch 10 right now).  Batch 1 was generally panned and batch 2 didn't get great reviews, but 3-10 have all been good to very good. 

I echo the Stagg Jr. buy.  Not a bad price and all the Stagg Jr. I've had has been full of flavor and manageable heat for that proof point.

Ditto on the Stagg Jr.  You will only regret that you didn't buy a back up.  Also, the Booker's Back Yard BBQ is excellent.  Much better than Sip Awhile, IMO.

I loved the Sip A While, great flavor and no heat. I thought the Backyard BBQ was a bit hotter tasting. The reviews I saw on Stagg Jr were not so good, but were from years ago. One described it as a hot mess, which scared me off. I may go bag one and take a hit for the team... ;)

16 minutes ago, Backdoctor said:

I loved the Sip A While, great flavor and no heat. I thought the Backyard BBQ was a bit hotter tasting. The reviews I saw on Stagg Jr were not so good, but were from years ago. One described it as a hot mess, which scared me off. I may go bag one and take a hit for the team... ;)

The hot mess was the first release or two but the recent releases (8,9&10) have been widely praised.  Check out reviews of those batches...

8 minutes ago, fosmith said:

The hot mess was the first release or two but the recent releases (8,9&10) have been widely praised.  Check out reviews of those batches...

They had a case, I'll go bag one...

I loved the Sip A While, great flavor and no heat. I thought the Backyard BBQ was a bit hotter tasting. The reviews I saw on Stagg Jr were not so good, but were from years ago. One described it as a hot mess, which scared me off. I may go bag one and take a hit for the team... [emoji6]

I bet that was the Breaking Bourbon review they did of batch #1 or #2 when Stagg Jr was first released. They have been asked many times to do another review of later batches, and have not done it. I’ve gotten where I don’t take their reviews very seriously anymore because in my opinion they have failed on many reviews.

If that is s Willett Estate 4 year old rye, I would buy as many as I could get for 45 bucks. 

Stagg Jr seems to be a  hit or miss for people. I bought a bottle a year ago for about 40 bucks. I still have three-quarters of a bottle left. Your mileage may vary. 

Sounds like a decent opening stock. 

• I like it 1

Stagg jr is still a hot bourbon, but it really opens up. It also takes well to water and you get the sweeter profile. Stagg jr and ECBP are the best bargains for barrel proof bourbons IMO if you can get them at retail.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.