Old Forester 1910 ??

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jackie Zycan ‘leaking’ some info on Instagram. I really really like 1920. Be curious what the OldFo folks are up to with this one. 

CAB8CB4B-3975-4E19-B80D-37433B72C1A8.png

I found this, but there's no age information. It's interesting they will now have two different bourbons with the same proof (1870 Original Batch) in their whiskey row series. 

20180918_131503.jpg

23 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

It says ‘kentucky straight bourbon whisky’. Interesting. 

I would guess it's just some combination of toasting/charring to the original barrel or a 2nd new Oak barrel, for context both in the class listing on the TTB and on the label WR Double Oaked is a KSBW 

• 2 weeks later...

This one is interesting. I'd like to know more about, "Brown's exact process." Hopefully, we'll get more info when it's released.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Doug007 said:

More info here:  http://www.gobourbon.com/old-forester-1910-old-fine-whisky-is-the-whisky-row-series-endgame/

They are putting into a new, heavily charred barrel for an additional 6-9 months.

This is awesome!  Praying that it's available when I head to Kentucky later this month...

• 3 weeks later...

I got to try a nice sized sample pour of this today when the BF rep showed up today at one of my favorite liquor stores while I was helping with their next OF SB barrel pick. I have to say that this is the best yet of the OF Whiskey Row Series as far as I’m concerned! I like 1920 and Statesman quite a bit, but I will be buying multiple bottles of this when it is available next week.

This 1910 release is fantastic. Tons of dark fruits and cherry with an oaky sweetness. 

• I like it 2

Is this a limited or regular offering? Based on the ready availability of the prior Whisky Row series, I would think 1910 would be an ongoing release however the email from my LS stated "limited". Just trying to gauge if I need to grab at first sight or I can knock off a few other bottles before picking up. Having had some of the others, I'm looking forward to trying.

17 hours ago, fanostra said:

Is this a limited or regular offering? Based on the ready availability of the prior Whisky Row series, I would think 1910 would be an ongoing release however the email from my LS stated "limited". Just trying to gauge if I need to grab at first sight or I can knock off a few other bottles before picking up. Having had some of the others, I'm looking forward to trying.

This is a regular offering from BF, maybe in "limited" run for your particular LS.  I know this happens a lot here in PA as well.

Got to try 1910 tonight thanks to a fellow SBr. Great nose. More elegant than the 1920. It was similar with a lot of the cherry taste without the chocolate part that I get from 1920. Of course a lot less heat. I still think I prefer the 1920 for the big wallop of flavor. 

I opened my new OF 1910 and decided I wanted to do a SBS.  Not just a SBS but a blind one.  But instead of OF1920, I figured a better, or at least more interesting, comparison was WR Double Oaked. Fair fight with similar proof level, plus they are both double barrel aged from Brown-Forman. Also the same price.

I had my wife set up a blind SBS.  Surprisingly (and I have to admit disappointingly) my blind tasting resulted in the WRDO as the winner.  It had the more fruit forward palate, and I usually respond to that, at least on blind tastings anyway (dark fruit flavors always get my attention especially when I don't know what I'm drinking).   I also found the 1910 surprisingly hot on the finish; hotter than I expected for a mere 93 proof.  And I enjoy barrel proofers  on a regular basis so heat doesn't bother me.

Funny thing is, after I found out which pour was which, somehow the 1910 tasted better as the evening went on with additional pours.  Blind tastings are always eye opening.

All this said, for $45-ish price range I don't know why anyone would choose either of these over the standard single barrel offerings from  Four Roses, Knob Creek , or Russell's Reserve.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

All this said, for $45-ish price range I don't know why anyone would choose either of these over the standard single barrel offerings from  Four Roses, Knob Creek , or Russell's Reserve.

Interesting experience. 

Thanks for posting this. 

Why would I choose those B-F products over the others?

Cuz price be damned, That might just be what I want to drink that evening -and, they are pretty darn good. 

Sometimes I get an itch that only Old Forester can scratch. 

:)

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Interesting experience. 

Thanks for posting this. 

Why would I choose those B-F products over the others?

Cuz price be damned, That might just be what I want to drink that evening -and, they are pretty darn good. 

Sometimes I get an itch that only Old Forester can scratch. 

:)

Good answer and I see your point.  The same reason I love to drink something different all the time.  Because it's fun!!

I didn't mean to disparage OF, because I do like the unique flavor too, just a lot of competition at this price point.

• I like it 1

Did the 1910 v 1920 SxS.

Just to share my bias before I start, the 1920 is one of my favorite bourbons out there right now so anyone on the fence consider that.

Impressions of the 1910:
Color: WOW. I was shocked at how dark this was. Almost WLW or GTS like.

Nose: SOOOO much cherry. I did not get the oak I expected at all. Borderline so much cherry that it reminded me of that 1970s cough syrup.

Palate: First sip confirms all that cherry. Really dark cherries with a nice creamy mouthfeel but tough to pick up much else. A sip of water to clean the taste buds and then holy cow THERE’s the wood I didn’t get on the nose, especially on the finish. Through the rest of the glass I didn’t pick up a lot of complexity beyond the cherry and oak but the mixture was exquisite. This is a yummy bourbon!

The 1920 had all of what I have always loved about it. The cherry is there but more muted. Tempered by the milk chocolate and cinnamon. Such a nice balance on the nose and the palate. Just so much going on.

Not going to give complete notes on the 1920 as it’s everything everybody has already tasted.

The 1910 is a fantastic addition to the lineup. I’m really glad I tasted it and I very much enjoyed the pour. That said, it and the 1920 were the same price. I might pick up an occasional 1910 for a change but the 1920 beat it hands down at the same price and blows the 1910 away when you consider proof. Make the 1910 about $5-7 cheaper and I’d probably have both open at all times.

Looking forward to seeing how the 1910 tastes as I work my way through the bottle over the next several weeks. If I change my mind on the comparison I will update.

• I like it 1

I found the 1910 to be very round and balanced. Sweet cherry notes with molasses and cinnamon on the finish. Additionally the mouthfeel was creamy and somewhat cool.

The difference between WR Double Oaked and the 1910 is the the second WR barrel has a heavy toast and a light char. The second 1910 barrel is basically burnt. 

No discernible flaws in the 1910 for me. It is not limited release but I would assume there could be periods of out-of-stocks based on demand versus initial production. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.