Old Forester 1910 ??

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did the 1910 v 1920 SxS.

Just to share my bias before I start, the 1920 is one of my favorite bourbons out there right now so anyone on the fence consider that.

Impressions of the 1910:
Color: WOW. I was shocked at how dark this was. Almost WLW or GTS like.

Nose: SOOOO much cherry. I did not get the oak I expected at all. Borderline so much cherry that it reminded me of that 1970s cough syrup.

Palate: First sip confirms all that cherry. Really dark cherries with a nice creamy mouthfeel but tough to pick up much else. A sip of water to clean the taste buds and then holy cow THERE’s the wood I didn’t get on the nose, especially on the finish. Through the rest of the glass I didn’t pick up a lot of complexity beyond the cherry and oak but the mixture was exquisite. This is a yummy bourbon!

The 1920 had all of what I have always loved about it. The cherry is there but more muted. Tempered by the milk chocolate and cinnamon. Such a nice balance on the nose and the palate. Just so much going on.

Not going to give complete notes on the 1920 as it’s everything everybody has already tasted.

The 1910 is a fantastic addition to the lineup. I’m really glad I tasted it and I very much enjoyed the pour. That said, it and the 1920 were the same price. I might pick up an occasional 1910 for a change but the 1920 beat it hands down at the same price and blows the 1910 away when you consider proof. Make the 1910 about $5-7 cheaper and I’d probably have both open at all times.

Looking forward to seeing how the 1910 tastes as I work my way through the bottle over the next several weeks. If I change my mind on the comparison I will update.

I agree 100% on the strong cherry and cherry cough drop notes both on the nose and the pallet. I also get a good bit of the dark charred oak on the pallet neat, and it contrasts very well with all of those dark cherry notes. This is a fantastic bourbon, and I already know that I’ll be picking up another bottle. This is actually running $50.99 in most shops in my area, which is around $9-$10 cheaper than 1920.
  • I like it 1

I'm sure someone will have to do a 50/50 blend of 1910 and 1920 and let it sit for a week or 2, and repot back. 

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I'm sure someone will have to do a 50/50 blend of 1910 and 1920 and let it sit for a week or 2, and repot back. 

Oh, now I want to get a bottle of the 1910 just to try this. I like 1920 but it's too hot for the proof in my mind, so this would probably sort it out.

11 hours ago, LCWoody said:

OF1915

• I like it 8

I’m an admitted bourbon baby compared to many of you here, but this is the best OF I’ve came across so far.  I really have enjoyed the different store Barrel picks I’ve tried, as well as all the Whiskey Row series with 1920 being on the top of that list.  The 1910 is really really good stuff to me. 

• I like it 1

1910 is a nice addition to the OF line, i still (slightly) prefer 1920, but 1910 has a nice singular sugar-cane and deep, cherry charr profile that i enjoyed.  glad both are widely available too.

Edited by MadGoodPour

Opened this at a friends house. Really good.  Think if so was buying a bottle I’d grab the 1910 over the 1920 right now.   Love  the 1915 idea. 

2 hours ago, MadGoodPour said:

1910 is a nice addition to the OF line, i still (slightly) prefer 1920, but 1910 has a nice singular sugar-cane and deep, cherry charr profile that i enjoyed.  glad both are widely available too.

Still has not made its way to Idaho...

Just got my first bottle of this today.  Opened it immediately.  Very nice!  Quite pleasing.  Sometime soon I will do a SBS with the 1920 which I also like a lot.

Old Forester 1910.jpg

• I like it 3

Just got my first bottle of this today.  Opened it immediately.  Very nice!  Quite pleasing.  Sometime soon I will do a SBS with the 1920 which I also like a lot.

Will be looking forward to that.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:55 AM, Charlutz said:

OF1915

Haha, so a 30/70 blend could be either OF1913 or OF1917 depending...

• I like it 1

OK, I couldn't wait long after acquiring a bottle of OF1910 to do a SBS with OF1920.  I enlisted the assistance of the lovely Mrs. Swamp who has a bourbon palate that agrees with mine probably 80-90% of the time, at least.

We started with each of us having a Glencairn glass of each bourbon.  We examined each for appearance, nose, and taste.  Comments follow below.

APPEARANCE:

Both bourbons are lovely in appearance.  Rich mahogany in color.  The 1910 is slightly darker in color, but it is close.  Top notch presentation for both.

NOSE:

A difference between the two begins here.  The 1910 has a fantastic caramel-forward nose.  Really a great smell.  The 1920 has, for lack of a better word, a more "aromatic" smell to me.  The wife agreed, although she, too, couldn't come up with a precise word for the 1920 aroma.  I think that the 115 proof of the 1920 (versus the 93 proof of the 1910) may have the primary impact here.

TASTE:

With the 1910, the caramel again was the dominant note that we both picked up.  Just a beautifully easy to drink whiskey.  The 1920 is a bit more challenging to the palate, but has some complexity beyond the 1910.  The higher alcohol is also evident here, although it is not unpleasant.

ICE:

After tasting both whiskies neat, we added a small ice chip to each glass and waited a minute before tasting again.  Not surprisingly, I think, the lower proof 1910 was quickly diluted to the point of being less interesting with the ice.  The 1920 stood up to the ice better, maintaining more flavor for a longer period of time.

CONCLUSION:

As someone who had already developed a strong fondness for the 1920, I was surprised to find that I preferred the 1910 as a neat pour.  This is a very fine bourbon to sip on!  Mrs. Swamp was in agreement with me on this preference.  However, we both agreed that the 1920 stood up to the ice better.  So, that is a consideration.  The bottom line for us is that BOTH of these whiskies are excellent and we would be happy to drink either of these, or to serve them to guests.  I recommend them both to you all.  And, I would be interested in hearing the reactions of other SBers who compare these two.

OF1910 vs OF1920.jpg

• I like it 7

^^^^^ Very nicely done! One request though...... come up with a better name for your lovely bride. "Mrs Swamp" just sounds nasty :o :D

• I like it 4

^^^Thanks for the notes.  I also found the '10 to be a nice, neat sipper.  What surprised me was the mouth feel, as I felt that it was a bit thicker than that on the '20.  Another surprise, for me, was that the finish on the '10 held up nicely...even with a melted cube. 

Straight out of the bottle, I prefer the '10.  Just a beautiful whiskey! 

• I like it 1

They’re both great in their own right, it really just depends on what I’m in the mood for with these two.  Only thing they share in common is the bottle & similar labels.  Both will continued to be purchased by yours truly. 

I have tasted the 1910 and 1920 SBS on several occasions and apart from the mash bill being the same I do not feel they are comparable. To begin with the difference of 22 points of proof is massive, and the second, heavily charred barrel for the 1910 imparts additional flavors (leather, tobacco, molasses and chocolate) that I don't find in the 1920. To me they are both great, stand alone bourbons. I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier post that states the 1920 better maintains its flavors and characteristics when drinking on the rocks.  

I have both bottles, but neither open at the moment.  There is an OF Whiskey Row tasting scheduled in the next week and a half.  I'll save the space on the "open shelf" and try it there.  ...and then probably go home and open both.

So while I sit here letting these breathe for a bit, the only thing that’s coming to mind is how frustrated I am at old forester for changing the neck label on the 1910. 

It doesn’t match!!!

i mean really... like they didn’t create this whole series just for us OCD guys?

*sigh*

in a little while I probably won’t care anymore.

;)

79A0BE0C-9578-4468-806A-AE2B43DB7D81.jpeg

• I like it 4

59 minutes ago, 0895 said:

So while I sit here letting these breathe for a bit, the only thing that’s coming to mind is how frustrated I am at old forester for changing the neck label on the 1910. 

It doesn’t match!!!

i mean really... like they didn’t create this whole series just for us OCD guys?

*sigh*

;)

Also looks like you’ve been dipping into that one a little more ;)

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

It doesn’t match!!!

*sigh*

;)

You think they would have used a different color, like yellow, so you easily tell the difference on the shelf.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

It doesn’t match!!!

*sigh*

;)

That lineup makes me want to run to the LS to replicate it, but like you the asymmetry in neck labels is disconcerting. I just can’t now. 

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Also looks like you’ve been dipping into that one a little more ;)

I opened the 1910 about 4 weeks ago. 

Just opened the other 3 last night. 

• I like it 1

Based on what I read here, and when I found a bottle ($55) I gave it a try.   I really enjoy it.  I tasted it straight and with one cube.  As someone mentioned, it did not hold up too well to ice.

I will pass on Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.  I remember when it used to be $60.  But I can't imagine it is that much better to be worth an additional $400 +.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.