Old Forester 1910 ??

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First bottle went to the recycle bin so I had to get another. I have found it a few place at about $50 out the door. I have really enjoyed this. Would love to do a SBS with all the others as well.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:55 AM, Charlutz said:

OF1915 

The 1920 was good, the 1910 was good as well, but the combination of the 2 is great IMHO...so 1915 it is for both.

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.b000c464c432891ecdde89ae4793a3e5.JPG

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, JvW said:

The 1920 was good, the 1910 was good as well, but the combination of the 2 is great IMHO...so 1915 it is for both.

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.b000c464c432891ecdde89ae4793a3e5.JPG

HA!  :P  I like your style, JvW.   Why not, right?    And, sometimes the synergies just WORK, eh?   Good for you!   ;)

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t broke down and bought 1910 yet but the rave reviews I keep seeing make me want one.  My big question is why does everyone compare it to 1920?  Shouldn’t the comparison be to Woodford Double Oak?   

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I haven’t broke down and bought 1910 yet but the rave reviews I keep seeing make me want one.  My big question is why does everyone compare it to 1920?  Shouldn’t the comparison be to Woodford Double Oak?   

Because they share a distiller, label, & are in the Whiskey Row line apparently.  They’re nowhere in the same ballpark.  It blows Double Oak our of the water btw.  

I think it's a good question as they're both B-F products with similar proofs, and finished off in a similar fashion.  I actually find more similarities in them, than differences. 

• I like it 1

I love the 1920.  3 buddies and I did the OF tour in downtown Louisville and bought a bottle of 1910.  The first time any of us had tried it.  None of us were impressed.  I far prefer the Woodford Double Oak, if that's the comparison.

30 minutes ago, Tony Santana said:

I love the 1920.  3 buddies and I did the OF tour in downtown Louisville and bought a bottle of 1910.  The first time any of us had tried it.  None of us were impressed.  I far prefer the Woodford Double Oak, if that's the comparison.

Just goes to show you how subjective this stuff is...  Four of us tried it there the week of the release & all liked it.  I know all their opinions on Woodford DO, & I know none would choose it over 1910.  Different strokes...

12 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Just goes to show you how subjective this stuff is...  Four of us tried it there the week of the release & all liked it.  I know all their opinions on Woodford DO, & I know none would choose it over 1910.  Different strokes...

You're right, it is subjective, and I'm not claiming there's a right or wrong in these opinions.  I'm just suggesting that not everyone is enamored of the 1910, so buyer beware.  My buddy tasted the bottle we shared first, and didn't like it at all.  His taste sometimes differs than mine, so I took that with a grain of salt, but I too was underwhelmed.  It wasn't awful, but I didn't think it was worth the price and none of us were interested in buying another bottle.

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

I think it's a good question as they're both B-F products with similar proofs, and finished off in a similar fashion.  I actually find more similarities in them, than differences. 

Well they both go through a second barreling but the 1910 second barrel is charred almost beyond recognition.  It has a very heavy alligator char.  To my palate they are two entirely different taste profiles.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:29 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

On 12/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Because they share a distiller, label, & are in the Whiskey Row line apparently.  They’re nowhere in the same ballpark.  It blows Double Oak our of the water btw.  

On 12/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, Paddy said:

On 12/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, Tony Santana said:

On 12/17/2018 at 10:55 PM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

On 12/18/2018 at 11:09 AM, Tony Santana said:

You're right, it is subjective, and I'm not claiming there's a right or wrong in these opinions.  I'm just suggesting that not everyone is enamored of the 1910, so buyer beware.  My buddy tasted the bottle we shared first, and didn't like it at all.  His taste sometimes differs than mine, so I took that with a grain of salt, but I too was underwhelmed.  It wasn't awful, but I didn't think it was worth the price and none of us were interested in buying another bottle.

Try a blind taste test like I did.  Especially try a blind test when you first crack a brand new bottle before you've been drinking it and become familiar with it.    When the OF1910 first came out I stumbled upon a bottle and immediately picked up a WRDO just out of curiosity.  I had my wife set me up a blind tasting and to my surprise (and I admit slight disappointment) I favored the Woodford that night.   My inherent bias probably would have led me to choose the 1910 had I not tasted blindly. 

Blind taste tests are where it's at, IF you are honest enough with yourself to accept the results!

Btw, I haven't gone back to either of the bottles since then but look forward to just drinking them and enjoying them on their own merit.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Try a blind taste test like I did.  Especially try a blind test when you first crack a brand new bottle before you've been drinking it and become familiar with it.    When the OF1910 first came out I stumbled upon a bottle and immediately picked up a WRDO just out of curiosity.  I had my wife set me up a blind tasting and to my surprise (and I admit slight disappointment) I favored the Woodford that night.   My inherent bias probably would have led me to choose the 1910 had I not tasted blindly. 

Blind taste tests are where it's at, IF you are honest enough with yourself to accept the results!

Btw, I haven't gone back to either of the bottles since then but look forward to just drinking them and enjoying them on their own merit.  

you should have her set you up again. it would be interesting to see if you get the same results, as tastes change somewhat by day.

An FYI to all. The 1910 will soon be out of stock (if it is not already) and will probably be this summer before it is back in regular supply. The demand has far exceeded the expectations for launch. Due to the fact that it spends 6 to 8 months in the second specialized barrel it takes that extra time to produce more. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

you should have her set you up again. it would be interesting to see if you get the same results, as tastes change somewhat by day.

Blind taste tests can be revelatory.  It's just more effort than I usually care to make.

21 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Yup, my palate does vary a lot

15 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

An FYI to all. The 1910 will soon be out of stock (if it is not already) and will probably be this summer before it is back in regular supply. The demand has far exceeded the expectations for launch. Due to the fact that it spends 6 to 8 months in the second specialized barrel it takes that extra time to produce more. 

Thanks for the info -- but what is your source on that?

29 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Thanks for the info -- but what is your source on that?

I don't have a link but this was straight from Brown-Foreman, not a rumor or anything like that but a statement from someone prominent at the company.

There was a local store here that had an order in which got canceled. It's allocated now and can't be special ordered anymore. It's out of stock on one of the more popular online sites that I typically shop at (Ace Spirits in MN), so I wasn't able to get one. I should have pressed buy last week when I had it in the cart. If you see one, you should grab it.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

One local store near me has plenty of OF 1910 & 1920 on the shelf for $49.99 each. I'd very much like to partake cause' I liked the 1920, but the same store also has a ps BT on sale for $21.99 that is very good. "Two in the hand....." ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Joe, I bought one of those 1910's. Let's get together after Christmas and see what we think of it

Edited by Vosgar

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

One local store near me has plenty of OF 1910 & 1920 on the shelf for $49.99 each. I'd very much like to partake cause' I liked the 1920, but the same store also has a ps BT on sale for $21.99 that is very good. "Two in the hand....." ;)

Biba! Joe

Joe,  I fail to see why they are mutually exclusive.  Three birds in a hand are better than two which are better than one which are better than none.  

I passed on one in Texas earlier in the week for $42.99.  I was trying to be responsible.  Now, I am contemplating whether to go pick one up for $52.99 at a local store.  Of course, now that the cat's out of the bag, there has probably been a run on the available bottles locally.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Joe,  I fail to see why they are mutually exclusive.  Three birds in a hand are better than two which are better than one which are better than none.  

I passed on one in Texas earlier in the week for $42.99.  I was trying to be responsible.  Now, I am contemplating whether to go pick one up for $52.99 at a local store.  Of course, now that the cat's out of the bag, there has probably been a run on the available bottles locally.

From one Hoosier to another, it sucks don't it? Most times choices such as this are a crapshoot at best. You go with your gut feeling and hope for the best. Speaking from experience, sometimes your instincts are your friend. Other times, your gut may just betray you. :mellow: Sad but true.

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Joe, I bought one of those 1910's. Let's get together after Christmas and see what we think of it

Well, that just might be a possibility. ;)

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.