Old Forester 1910 ??

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Joe, I bought one of those 1910's. Let's get together after Christmas and see what we think of it

I think y’all are gonna like it!

My wife bought me a bottle for Christmas.  We did a SBS with OF 1920.  I knew the pours but they didn't.  

I will give just brief tasting notes since our preferences really don't matter.  We found the 1910 to have a superior nose, a stronger hint of oak on the palate, a longer finish and to be a little hotter across the board.  They are inexperienced bourbon drinkers but neither really liked it.  On the other hand, I like it. I will be honest, I was a little indifferent on my first small pour.  While the nose was superior to many of today's bourbons and the flavor intense with a long finish, it did seem a little hot.  We then followed up with a small pour of 1920, which they did like.  They found it to be less hot even though it is higher proof.  They had tried 1920 before and it remains their preference of the two.

I poured a 50/50 blend for myself since they were done.  The blend was really good.  I can certainly see the sum being greater than the parts depending on your mood and palate.  However, since the bottle was my new Christmas toy, I wanted to go back for a more deliberative pour of the 1910.  On the second pour, I found it to be a very solid and enjoyable bourbon.  It is slightly sweet on entry with a long, strong finish with cherry and oak.  The thicker mouthfeel, explosion of flavors, and long finish reminded me of some of the older EWSB and KCSB.  On the third pour... Yes, I went back for a third pour as I really enjoyed the second pour.

I agree it is a nice addition to the available bourbons.  I have enjoyed the two Whiskey Row offerings I have tried - OF 1910 and OF 1920.  I have not tried the 1870 or 1897 as the price compared to similar OF seems a little high.  Am I missing something?  I am able to find OF 1920 on sale in the $35 to $40 so I will continue to be a buyer.  My wife paid $52 for the OF 1910 which seems a little high and I expect the price to go up if it becomes an allocated release.  That said, I will buy another bottle, maybe even at $52 just to have one in reserve.  I enjoy sharing bottles like this with novice and interested drinkers so they can see the differences that can be achieved based on char, double-barreling, proof, etc.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

My wife bought me a bottle for Christmas.  We did a SBS with OF 1920.  I knew the pours but they didn't.  

I will give just brief tasting notes since our preferences really don't matter.  We found the 1910 to have a superior nose, a stronger hint of oak on the palate, a longer finish and to be a little hotter across the board.  They are inexperienced bourbon drinkers but neither really liked it.  On the other hand, I like it. I will be honest, I was a little indifferent on my first small pour.  While the nose was superior to many of today's bourbons and the flavor intense with a long finish, it did seem a little hot.  We then followed up with a small pour of 1920, which they did like.  They found it to be less hot even though it is higher proof.  They had tried 1920 before and it remains their preference of the two.

I poured a 50/50 blend for myself since they were done.  The blend was really good.  I can certainly see the sum being greater than the parts depending on your mood and palate.  However, since the bottle was my new Christmas toy, I wanted to go back for a more deliberative pour of the 1910.  On the second pour, I found it to be a very solid and enjoyable bourbon.  It is slightly sweet on entry with a long, strong finish with cherry and oak.  The thicker mouthfeel, explosion of flavors, and long finish reminded me of some of the older EWSB and KCSB.  On the third pour... Yes, I went back for a third pour as I really enjoyed the second pour.

I agree it is a nice addition to the available bourbons.  I have enjoyed the two Whiskey Row offerings I have tried - OF 1910 and OF 1920.  I have not tried the 1870 or 1897 as the price compared to similar OF seems a little high.  Am I missing something?  I am able to find OF 1920 on sale in the $35 to $40 so I will continue to be a buyer.  My wife paid $52 for the OF 1910 which seems a little high and I expect the price to go up if it becomes an allocated release.  That said, I will buy another bottle, maybe even at $52 just to have one in reserve.  I enjoy sharing bottles like this with novice and interested drinkers so they can see the differences that can be achieved based on char, double-barreling, proof, etc.

Nice write up! I prefer the 20 to the 10. I have never seen 1920 under $50 and would jump all over it at $35. Its usually right around $55. I think 1920 is a fantastic release and tastes like chocolate covered cherries. The 1910 leans more towards cherry cough syrup for me. I think the extra oak gives it a little more bitterness. Has a very distinctive nose. It runs about $50.

• I like it 2

Great commentary on your experience with the 1910 and comparison with the 1920. I’ve tried all of the Whiskey Row series multiple times, and have bottles of 1920 and 1910. I don’t think the 1897 is worth the price after tasting it multiple times. It comes across very hot, and is no better than the old Signature in my opinion. The 1870 is actually quite nice, but may still be a bit pricey for what it is. Your prices are also much better than in my area.
  • I like it 1

Nice write up! I prefer the 20 to the 10. I have never seen 1920 under $50 and would jump all over it at $35. Its usually right around $55. I think 1920 is a fantastic release and tastes like chocolate covered cherries. The 1910 leans more towards cherry cough syrup for me. I think the extra oak gives it a little more bitterness. Has a very distinctive nose. It runs about $50.

I pretty much agree with your tasting notes on the 1920 and 1910, but I don’t really get much more bitterness from the 1910. I really like the dark fruit and cherry cough drop notes I get from the 1910, so I’m still leaning ever so slightly in favor of it over the 1920.

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I pretty much agree with your tasting notes on the 1920 and 1910, but I don’t really get much more bitterness from the 1910. I really like the dark fruit and cherry cough drop notes I get from the 1910, so I’m still leaning ever so slightly in favor of it over the 1920.

Dark fruit and cherry cough drop notes is a spot on description.  At this point, I also might favor it slightly over the 1920 and I really like the 1920.  At 93 proof and with the flavor explosion and lingering finish, t is very approachable.

• I like it 1

On 12/20/2018 at 11:59 PM, Kepler said:

Thanks for the info -- but what is your source on that?

I work for a wholesaler. All our deliveries have been cut and we were told not to expect more until the summer. It will however be a permanent item and I expect production to meet demand later in 2019. The 1920 experienced a similar path but not as long of a drought. The double barreling of the 1910 is the bugaboo. 

21 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Dark fruit and cherry cough drop notes is a spot on description.  At this point, I also might favor it slightly over the 1920 and I really like the 1920.  At 93 proof and with the flavor explosion and lingering finish, t is very approachable.

I'm curious, I get great old leather notes on the finish along with chocolate cherries. Does no one else get the leather?

On 12/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, Old Hippie said:

I'm curious, I get great old leather notes on the finish along with chocolate cherries. Does no one else get the leather?

I get some of that leather, and I don't care for it. Bummer

I think the 1920 and 1910 are very different. 1920 is big, complex . 1910 lower proof, light and smooth. The 1910 seems more like an old Ezra 7, not the barrel proof. Smooth elegant, but not a huge personality. Take a HH6 90 proof green label, add a bit more complexity and there you go. I really like the 1910. But it's not worth $54. Especially under 100 proof.  I would be happier paying $60 for the 1920.  The 1910 at say $42, that would really excite me.

No sighting of this (to my knowledge) in NC. I'm not a big Brown Foreman fan, but am curious about this one. The second barreling in a burned barrel is intriguing.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, Old Hippie said:

For my buds ALL OF has leather (and a fig or date) taste.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:44 AM, Old Hippie said:

I hadn't noticed it on my first pours.  However, I am noticing it a little on a pour I am enjoying right now.  I am also getting a little of the chocolate cherries you mention. Of course, it could be the power of suggestion. ?

Edited by mbroo5880i

Followed up a pour of OF 1910 with a pour of WR.  While the OF 1910 is superior, there is some similarity in the profile of both.  I am noting a similar hint of leather but with less chocolate covered cherries and cherry cough drop notes.  Not surprising given a percentage of the WR blend is OF distillate.

I’m a couple of sessions into my bottle and I don’t care for it.  It is sweet, but the sweetness has more of an artificial sweetener essence to it, rather than natural Barrel sugars.  I’m not suggesting that anything was added, but it just comes off weird to me.  Perhaps, this might work in an old fashion or Manhattan, but neat doesn’t work for me.  

I’m a couple of sessions into my bottle and I don’t care for it.  It is sweet, but the sweetness has more of an artificial sweetener essence to it, rather than natural Barrel sugars.  I’m not suggesting that anything was added, but it just comes off weird to me.  Perhaps, this might work in an old fashion or Manhattan, but neat doesn’t work for me.  

Different strokes for different folks is all I’ve got to say Joe!

On 12/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, Richnimrod said:

HA!  :P  I like your style, JvW.   Why not, right?    And, sometimes the synergies just WORK, eh?   Good for you!   ;)

As much I enjoyed the 1920, it is a little hot for my liking and the odd uniqueness of the 1910 on my palette convinced me to mix the 2 (1915!!!) bottles; I just absolutely love the result, but that's just me.

^^^Joe, I also pick up on that with the 1910.  I also get the same thing with WRDO and the double-double oaked.  With the 1910 it's the first sip or two, but then (thankfully) its gone.  I've also found that it's not a good following pour, for me.  I've adapted though, as I now only use it for an opener.

Still making my momma proud...:D 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^Joe, I also pick up on that with the 1910.  I also get the same thing with WRDO and the double-double oaked.  With the 1910 it's the first sip or two, but then (thankfully) its gone.  I've also found that it's not a good following pour, for me.  I've adapted though, as I now only use it for an opener.

Still making my momma proud...:D 

I’m sure you do Paddy, but like us all, it wasn’t without a few bumps along the way, I’m guessing...  :D

I haven’t had a WRDO in a while, so I can’t relate specifically on that one, but I got the same artificial sweetener thing with Michter’s Toasted Barrel.    

BF225901-9068-49A6-8B80-75B5E81362FE.jpeg

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m sure you do Paddy, but like us all, it wasn’t without a few bumps along the way, I’m guessing...  :D

I haven’t had a WRDO in a while, so I can’t relate specifically on that one, but I got the same artificial sweetener thing with Michter’s Toasted Barrel.    

BF225901-9068-49A6-8B80-75B5E81362FE.jpeg

I got the same thing from the JD Heritage. Tho it looks like I'm in the minority with my opinion of that one. 

I mingled a .375 of OF 1920 and OF 1910 recently at 50/50, and had a pour last night.  This was after a few days of blending, so I think some more time could be of use.  It was good--I think OF "1915" at 104 pf would be a success. 

But, I'd need to do some comparisons to really draw conclusions about whether the mingle is better than either individually to me.  If you don't like that charred oak element that 1910 brings to the table, then the "1915" likely wouldn't change your mind.  And if you don't want to mess with that heavy, rich and fruity OF profile with the 1920, then the "1915" wouldn't be for you either.  YMMV.

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, Vosgar said:

I get some of that leather, and I don't care for it. Bummer

^^^^^ My first go around with the 1910 didn't go so well.^^^^^ Tried it again tonight and now I'm getting a ton of black licorice (which I don't like either). What the heck?? To try and figure out if it was something I ate or if it's just one of those days, I had a small pour of the 1920. Nope, that's still as good as ever and tastes just as I remembered.

Strike two for this bottle :(

^^^^^ My first go around with the 1910 didn't go so well.^^^^^ Tried it again tonight and now I'm getting a ton of black licorice (which I don't like either). What the heck?? To try and figure out if it was something I ate or if it's just one of those days, I had a small pour of the 1920. Nope, that's still as good as ever and tastes just as I remembered.

Strike two for this bottle [emoji20]

More for the rest of us, I tried a bottle and went back to buy 4 more.
  • I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Thig said:

More for the rest of us, I tried a bottle and went back to buy 4 more.

Glad I can help out my fellow SB'ers who like this one :D

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Vosgar said:

Glad I can help out my fellow SB'ers who like this one :D

I’m a giver, too.  Heck,I’ll even give up the half bottle that I won’t finish...  :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.