Old Ezra Barrel Strength

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I hope I can find this. 7 year old 117 proof at $39.99.

https://kybourbontrail.com/luxco-introduces-old-ezra-barrel-strength-kentucky-straight-bourbon/

Update: Ezra Brooks website does not show OE 7yr 101 as a product anymore. It looks like this new product will replace it. That’s disappointing since it was a standard daily for me.

Edited by CUfan99

Passed on a bunch of old label OE 7  for 17$ today.  I hate that these standards are disappearing. 

Wow, that’s a good price on a good bourbon. I probably would have bought a few at that price. The cheapest I see it around here is around $24.

I’m a fan of the 7 yr 101.  It’s been a solid inexpensively priced well aged bourbon.  But, I’ll jump all in on the first one of these I see if at the MSRP of $39.99.  Looking forward to this release.  I think this is a really good move to move this brand up shelf, while still keeping it economically approachable to most.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow, that’s a good price on a good bourbon. I probably would have bought a few at that price. The cheapest I see it around here is around $24.

Same place as the Dickel 14... it’s in my mental logbook so i can go back later. Trying to keep some powder dry for OFBB and PVW if it comes available this fall/winter. But yeah i wanted to stock up on a few.

• I like it 1

Can.not.wait...I love OE107 and the extra 10 proof points sounds awesome. I may need to stock up on the 107 though if its going away.

7 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Can.not.wait...I love OE107 and the extra 10 proof points sounds awesome. I may need to stock up on the 107 though if its going away.

OE 7 yr is 101 proof so the new stuff will be 16 proof points higher. 

I’m a big fan of the 7 yr because of its value; I can find it for $17. One of its flaws is being a little thin maybe because it’s charcoal filtered. I hope the barrel strength will be NCF.

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

OE 7 yr is 101 proof so the new stuff will be 16 proof points higher. 

I’m a big fan of the 7 yr because of its value; I can find it for $17. One of its flaws is being a little thin maybe because it’s charcoal filtered. I hope the barrel strength will be NCF.

107...what in the world was I talking about. I meant 101. You are correct sir. I had a brain fart apparently.

Edited by Jfletchgu

21 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

107...what in the world was I talking about. I meant 101. You are correct sir. I had a brain fart apparently.

All the shorthand references can jumble things up in my head. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Saw it on FL abc site

Visited 4 liquor stores in the Destin area today and none had it. To include the ABC store.

It is showing on NC ABC site @$39.95, but as of right now there is no stock in the warehouse. Glad to see it will be available here.

I got a hold of a bottle and I like it.  It has more depth of flavor than OE7/101.  Good solid classic bourbon flavor with a little smoke at the end.  Doesn't drink like 117 proof, goes down easy.  I am however having a hard time wrapping my head around paying 100% more for 8.5% more proof

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

I got a hold of a bottle and I like it.  It has more depth of flavor than OE7/101.  Good solid classic bourbon flavor with a little smoke at the end.  Doesn't drink like 117 proof, goes down easy.  I am however having a hard time wrapping my head around paying 100% more for 8.5% more proof

As bottles I like and Age Statements go the way of the dodo, my barometer for value is how a bottle stacks up to similarly priced releases both objectively with things like age and proof, and subjectively, do I like this more or less than other things in it's price range. I like many people here buy too many bottles, but I only repeat purchase things that I perceive to be a good value. Objectively a barrel proof 7 year bourbon for $40 is pretty tough to argue with price wise the only real competition is Backbone Uncut and WT Rare Breed, at least here in the markets I shop in. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

As bottles I like and Age Statements go the way of the dodo, my barometer for value is how a bottle stacks up to similarly priced releases both objectively with things like age and proof, and subjectively, do I like this more or less than other things in it's price range. I like many people here buy too many bottles, but I only repeat purchase things that I perceive to be a good value. Objectively a barrel proof 7 year bourbon for $40 is pretty tough to argue with price wise the only real competition is Backbone Uncut and WT Rare Breed, at least here in the markets I shop in. 

I agree. I also see what @VAGentlemanwas saying, but it's almost unfair to hold any other offerings to the value standard OE7 set.

24 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I agree. I also see what @VAGentlemanwas saying, but it's almost unfair to hold any other offerings to the value standard OE7 set.

I think the other thing worth mentioning is they could have just raised the price, instead they are putting out what could be an improved product for a fair price, which in this market is pretty commendable. 

• I like it 2

Got a chance to try this as well.  I haven't had a bottle of OE 7yr 101 in a couple years, but I was always a fan of that - and this reminded me of what I remembered that being like just cranked up.  On the nose, it is a tad sharp but nice with caramel, vanilla, chocolate and toffee all mingled with oak and spice.  On the palate, sweet vanilla toffee with caramel, dark chocolate and some citrus spice.  It takes water well, and is nicely balanced - although on the spicy/edgy side (which I'm a fan of).  

On the price point - I get the disappointment with seeing it double the price for 17 proof points.  But other similar products in terms of age and proof . . . WTRB isn't age stated, but is $50 around here.  Bookers is similarly aged (at least the youngest barrels in the batches) but double this or more now.  Bakers is 7 yr but lower proof at $50.  1792 FP might be the closest (bit higher proof, NAS but typically 6-7 yrs old, and about $45 here).  I can't think of (which doesn't mean there isn't!) any similar product that is priced below this, and as this is still at the lower end of those similar products - I think they're keeping the brand positioned well.  They might not get some folks who don't want to pay that much and have been OE fans for a while, but may get some folks who ignore the bottom shelf and discover the brand.

I finally was able to acquire a bottle of OE BP.     I was never a big fan of OE 7-year because of it's similarity to Old Grand Dad BIB, which I always preferred in a semi-competitive price range.    Granted it has always been an undeniable bargain; but, I always liked OGD better, even at a slightly higher price.    I grabbed a bottle of the OE BP (117-proof) to kind of compare it with it's 7-year old brother at 101-proof, as well as with OGD 114.    At a rather higher price than 114, I find my taste buddies will continue to prefer the OGD 114 profile, and especially at a less expensive rate than OE 117.     This is, of course just my personal preference, guided by my own and no one else's taste buddies.    The fact that 114 is cheaper, and tastier to me, are the deciding factors.      I've had several bottle bottles of OE 101, and likely will still keep one around, if for no other reason than the bargain it is; but, I probably drink 3-bottles of OGD BIB to every one bottle of OE 101.

If one is in love with the OE profile, then the 117 will likely kill it for you; but, it's only an OK bargain compared to OGD BIB, which I find somewhat similar; but tastier, and less expensive.

12 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I finally was able to acquire a bottle of OE BP.     I was never a big fan of OE 7-year because of it's similarity to Old Grand Dad BIB, which I always preferred in a semi-competitive price range.    Granted it has always been an undeniable bargain; but, I always liked OGD better, even at a slightly higher price.    I grabbed a bottle of the OE BP (117-proof) to kind of compare it with it's 7-year old brother at 101-proof, as well as with OGD 114.    At a rather higher price than 114, I find my taste buddies will continue to prefer the OGD 114 profile, and especially at a less expensive rate than OE 117.     This is, of course just my personal preference, guided by my own and no one else's taste buddies.    The fact that 114 is cheaper, and tastier to me, are the deciding factors.      I've had several bottle bottles of OE 101, and likely will still keep one around, if for no other reason than the bargain it is; but, I probably drink 3-bottles of OGD BIB to every one bottle of OE 101.

If one is in love with the OE profile, then the 117 will likely kill it for you; but, it's only an OK bargain compared to OGD BIB, which I find somewhat similar; but tastier, and less expensive.

I agree with your comparison of OE7 and OGD BiB. Both are regulars for me and I see the similarities now that you mentioned them. The difference for me is price. The OGD is $10 more in my market but my enjoyment isn't that much higher.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.