Old Ezra Barrel Strength

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Might want to pick up a few bottles of the OE7 101 for the bunker since it appears that LuxRow is discontinuing it in favor of the new cask strength version...or am I mistaken about that?

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Might want to pick up a few bottles of the OE7 101 for the bunker since it appears that LuxRow is discontinuing it in favor of the new cask strength version...or am I mistaken about that?

You’re not, it’s a goner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to 3 local stores today and can't find this anywhere. Looks like it's made it way to Nashville. May have to make a trip.

Had some tonight and plan on getting it multiple when it shows up here in South Carolina. 

70862070-3AE0-4208-9D39-F176C8FEF16D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Had some tonight and plan on getting it multiple when it shows up here in South Carolina. 

THX for this.  I shall keep my car trunk relatively empty so I have room . . .

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

98B183D2-0C5F-4B39-824E-458DB95CA2EB.jpeg

• I like it 2

I found two bottles at my local store. Bought one and left one. I liked it so much, I went back a couple days later and purchased the other one. My tasting notes were very similar to my notes on ECBP. Burnt sugar, citrus, oak, etc. I think this is priced fairly at $40 if it stays there. 

I think there are several reasons why Lux Row discontinued the regular OE 7yr and introduced the Barrel Proof. They had increased the price on the regular version to the point that it was just sitting on the shelf...at least in my area where it’s not that popular or readily available anyway. I’ve also had a few folks comment on it when they saw it on my bar, because they remembered OE being pretty cheap and crappy bourbon when they were in college many years ago. So, just like they did with the Rebel Yell 10yr SB, they are attempting to move OE up to a premium level. Since I suspect their stock of well aged bourbon is becoming somewhat diminished at this point, they might as well sell what they have at a higher price point.

Im looking forward to trying the barrel proof version, but I’m not sure if I’ll see it in this market or not, so it may be awhile before I’m able to get my hands on a bottle.

• I like it 2

On 11/1/2018 at 12:25 PM, lcpfratn said:

I think there are several reasons why Lux Row discontinued the regular OE 7yr and introduced the Barrel Proof. They had increased the price on the regular version to the point that it was just sitting on the shelf...at least in my area where it’s not that popular or readily available anyway. I’ve also had a few folks comment on it when they saw it on my bar, because they remembered OE being pretty cheap and crappy bourbon when they were in college many years ago. So, just like they did with the Rebel Yell 10yr SB, they are attempting to move OE up to a premium level. Since I suspect their stock of well aged bourbon is becoming somewhat diminished at this point, they might as well sell what they have at a higher price point.

Im looking forward to trying the barrel proof version, but I’m not sure if I’ll see it in this market or not, so it may be awhile before I’m able to get my hands on a bottle.

Haven't been on here in a while but still drinking fine bourbon...  I missed the hype on the release of the OE7BP but lucked into a couple of bottles in a local ABC store.  Always been a fan of the OE7/101 and am the same with this new release.  Had not heard about them discontinuing the OE7/101 but not too concerned as the Virgin7/101 is the same juice.  I blind tasted the two a couple of years ago and since the price of the OE had gone up I went to the Virgin instead - no discernible difference in the flavor profile led me to believe the rumors that HH was supplying the juice for the OE all along 

• I like it 3

On 11/6/2018 at 5:20 PM, Hop said:

Haven't been on here in a while but still drinking fine bourbon...  I missed the hype on the release of the OE7BP but lucked into a couple of bottles in a local ABC store.  Always been a fan of the OE7/101 and am the same with this new release.  Had not heard about them discontinuing the OE7/101 but not too concerned as the Virgin7/101 is the same juice.  I blind tasted the two a couple of years ago and since the price of the OE had gone up I went to the Virgin instead - no discernible difference in the flavor profile led me to believe the rumors that HH was supplying the juice for the OE all along 

Harry did an interesting side by side with the Virgin 101 and the Old Ezra. I also lucked into a couple bottles at my local ABC. Just curious, were you getting your Old Ezra out of state or did NC carry it and I just never see it? 

40 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2018/11/09/best-bourbon-who-wins-best-everyday-american-whiskey-of-2018/#5206bf1e1c4b

Well this is escalating quickly. This one was already selling out quickly from what I've seen and read.

I watched Minnick do the review last night. Was surprised as well. Narrowly edged out Russsells 

I've read a few reviews already nothing but raves which is certainly my feeling as well, I think the Breaking Bourbon review nailed it, in that it feels like a release from a few years back priced like it would have been a few years back. 

I don't want to criticize Mr Minnick's evaluations of the whiskeys but I  disagree with his price spread on what qualifies as an everyday bourbon. Maybe I'm playing the curmudgeon card a little too heavily here but what I think of as everyday pours are bourbons that can be found relatively easily by the majority of those who enjoy the spirit. Specifically, bottles like WT101, BT, MM, 4RSmB, you know, bottles in the $20-30 for a 750ml range. Of course, YMMV.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Postal Grunt said:

I don't want to criticize Mr Minnick's evaluations of the whiskeys but I  disagree with his price spread on what qualifies as an everyday bourbon. Maybe I'm playing the curmudgeon card a little too heavily here but what I think of as everyday pours are bourbons that can be found relatively easily by the majority of those who enjoy the spirit. Specifically, bottles like WT101, BT, MM, 4RSmB, you know, bottles in the $20-30 for a 750ml range. Of course, YMMV.

Agreed...my everydays tend to be in the $15-$25'ish range (Ezra 90 to WT101). If it's over that it's occasional only.

I agree with y’all.  Perhaps, poor wording on his part, but I would not consider those all easily available, let alone, priced at a level I would consider “everyday”.  Y’alls suggestions would better fit the criteria.  

By the way, as I was  clicking buttons randomly trying to figure out how to quote 2 posts, I reported one of y’alls posts to the moderators...  :D  Sorry. Unintentional.  Heehee...  

Edited by smokinjoe

By the way, as I was  clicking buttons randomly trying to figure out how to quote 2 posts, I reported one of y’alls posts to the moderators...  [emoji3]  Sorry. Unintentional.  Heehee...  

Snitches get stitches Joe. Just sayin’.

15 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Snitches get stitches Joe. Just sayin’.

That’s why I have you on speed-dial, big fella...  :D

5 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

Also agree. 40 bucks too much for everyday bourbon. I call those table bourbons. To me everyday bourbon is JTS BIB, 4 Roses yellow label which is now not yellow. To me, well crafted simple one dimensional bourbons are the everyday bourbons.

1 minute ago, Jfletchgu said:

Ventured out to four more stores today in Tennessee and still no bottle of this to be found....dang.

It’s the same for me here in northern Illinois. Been looking for a while, but no luck yet. 

Biba! Joe

Just opened the bottle I muled back for myself from Pittsburgh. This stuff is really good. Hasn't hit Missouri that I know of.

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s the same for me here in northern Illinois. Been looking for a while, but no luck yet. 

Biba! Joe

Antioch had it earlier in the week. 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Antioch had it earlier in the week. 

I probably won’t venture that far away from home, but I do appreciate the heads up.  Thanks!

Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I probably won’t venture that far away from home, but I do appreciate the heads up.  Thanks!

Joe

ya, I guess thats a ways east to go. my understanding is it will be a regular offering anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.