Old Ezra Barrel Strength

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

ya, I guess thats a ways east to go. my understanding is it will be a regular offering anyway.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I somehow managed to find an Old Ezra 7/101 a couple of weeks ago. My tentative plan is to wait unti I find the BP and open both at the same time and do a SBS

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I somehow managed to find an Old Ezra 7/101 a couple of weeks ago. My tentative plan is to wait unti I find the BP and open both at the same time and do a SBS

some of the binnys still have the OE7 101, so I bought a few. havent opened one yet but have a Virgin101 I picked up downstate open (& really like), tho I think an SBer did a sbs & found quite a bit difference.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I would look forward to this!

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle over the weekend at my local Woodman's.  They only had two left.  I haven't cracked it open yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

some of the binnys still have the OE7 101, so I bought a few. havent opened one yet but have a Virgin101 I picked up downstate open (& really like), tho I think an SBer did a sbs & found quite a bit difference.

Harry in DC did a great side by side. Find it here:

I picked up a bottle the other day and enjoyed it for what it is, a sub-$40 barrel proof bourbon ($35 after tax was what I paid) with a lot of flavor.  I still prefer the ECBP, but it is considerably more expensive in my area (if you can find it at all).  I think the Old Ezra Barrel Strength is a good buy for the $$$.

26 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

I picked up a bottle the other day and enjoyed it for what it is, a sub-$40 barrel proof bourbon ($35 after tax was what I paid) with a lot of flavor.  I still prefer the ECBP, but it is considerably more expensive in my area (if you can find it at all).  I think the Old Ezra Barrel Strength is a good buy for the $$$.

That makes it and even better value proposition. Everywhere I've seen it has been $39.99 before tax or higher. That is what I paid for it and still think it was a pretty decent value.

• 1 month later...

So im assuming the 7 year 101 is officially discontinued? Its not on the website any longer. 

So im assuming the 7 year 101 is officially discontinued? Its not on the website any longer. 

That is correct. I think the price had creeped up on the 101 proof to the point that it was sitting on the shelf in most stores and not moving, so it made more sense for them to start bottling it at Barrel Proof and raise the price a bit more, but still be below the price of most other BP offerings. I think that was a pretty smart move on their part, because now there is renewed interest in the product.
  • I like it 1

26 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That is correct. I think the price had creeped up on the 101 proof to the point that it was sitting on the shelf in most stores and not moving, so it made more sense for them to start bottling it at Barrel Proof and raise the price a bit more, but still be below the price of most other BP offerings. I think that was a pretty smart move on their part, because now there is renewed interest in the product.

Thanks .. couldnt find anything definitive on the net and found a stash at $17.99. 

• I like it 1

Opened mine this past weekend & shared with my older brother. We giggle like 2 rats with a cheese hoop...

He has no bourbon experienced palate so he just got whiskey. (his quote)

I got candy apple, citrus, a little oak & twang at the end. The twang doesn't deter me but I have no explanation that fits a descriptor.

Not bad and not a bad value at $37. I will rebuy...

I thought this was quite good. Picked up a bottle at Antioch during a tasting and then found a bottle at my local Binny's. At Binny's it's treated like most of the allocated...kept away from prying eyes. Have to ask for it. Good to know the Manager and Assistant Manager.

Finished my first bottle in a week and have been savoring the second bottle. I guess I treated the first one like an everyday sipper and the second one like a bottle I really liked.

Edited by BourbonBuzz

Thanks .. couldnt find anything definitive on the net and found a stash at $17.99. 

Wow! I’ve never seen the OE 101 7yr anywhere close to that cheap, but I know in some states it used to be priced between $15 and $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed the OE7 101 has Caramel Coloring added. Does the new Barrel Strength have the same?

6 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Noticed the OE7 101 has Caramel Coloring added. Does the new Barrel Strength have the same?

It doesn't have coloring added, it's a Straight bourbon, my recollection is that a bunch of OE7 is out there with a bourbon cream back label.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

It doesn't have coloring added, it's a Straight bourbon, my recollection is that a bunch of OE7 is out there with a bourbon cream back label.

Here are the back labels of the old bottle and the new bottle, notice it's the same SKU/Barcodey4mXSp_oUYeInBkWAi5WPbWWjIl0uVL3dlE5MS8K

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Thats right.. i completely forgot about that. Enjoying some  7/101 right now. It tastes fantastic but would have to say the HHBIB is a lot tastier. 

3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Thats right.. i completely forgot about that. Enjoying some  7/101 right now. It tastes fantastic but would have to say the HHBIB is a lot tastier. 

I actually haven't cracked any of my bottles with the new label, but I love the bottles of the ugly green label I've had they have that earthy foliage kind of note that some people hate but I dig. Never got that from HH BIB but get it a little in the 90 proof, would weirdly probably take a pour of HH 90 over both but EB 7 101 would be the runner up for me

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I actually haven't cracked any of my bottles with the new label, but I love the bottles of the ugly green label I've had they have that earthy foliage kind of note that some people hate but I dig. Never got that from HH BIB but get it a little in the 90 proof, would weirdly probably take a pour of HH 90 over both but EB 7 101 would be the runner up for me

This OE7 is more like EC than HHBIB to me. Good to revisit this one. I still need to pick up some HH90 next trip to compare. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.