Open ones

mross
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Only two - and one of each?:o  OTOH, those two are just fine.  The EC looks really good from here. BTW, welcome to SB.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Only two - and one of each?:o  OTOH, those two are just fine.  The EC looks really good from here. BTW, welcome to SB.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Only one of each?

Give it time. One will turn into twenty.

That's all my wife will let me have open at once. She never came right out and said that's all, but that look....

I have probably a dozen bourbon, rye and rum open at any one time. I guess I am fortunate my wife doesn't try to rule every aspect of my life.

Welcome to SB! All but three or four of these are open. Maybe 30? Plus about 10 rums on the next shelf. Sometimes with that few I feel like an underachiever around here!

C23703B6-2690-407E-9494-3BB91C56FE43.jpeg

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

currently 43 open bourbons and 20 open ryes plus a few other whiskeys

Hmmmm.   A decent start. 

Now get going on coming up to speed, JoeTerp!   He-Heeeee! :D

I have my drinking shelf that holds about 15-17 bottles open at any given time.  And then a second smaller shelf that my wife knows is 100% fair game for her to offer to guests without having to worry about my reaction.  That shelf currently has bottles of homemade barrel aged manhattans and old fashioneds; Henry McKenna 10; Buffalo Trace store pick; KC store pick; and Weller Antique so it's no slouch and should appeal to anyone.  If I am home and the guest is drinking with me anything open is up for grabs.  The system works well for us and avoids those "uhhh honey, why is my Decades bottle half empty??" as I glare sideways at my brother in law sprawled on the couch!  

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

On 9/23/2018 at 1:23 PM, mross said:

I like to have a bourbon and a rye open, depends on my mood which one I go to on spirit night. 20180923_123446.jpeg

Nothing wrong with that.  It doesn't matter how many bottles you have or you have open as long as you enjoy what you have.

Given up counting.  My best guess is about 100 open bottles of whiskey. 60 or more bourbon.  That's tops on this thread so far, for whatever that's worth (nothing).  There's always someone with more bottles, rarer bottles, etc.  Enjoy what you've got..

• I like it 2

55 minutes ago, Tony Santana said:

Given up counting. 

That's me, but I know I don't have anywhere near 100 open.  But I have no idea.  I'll be organizing my bottle soon so hopefully I find out eventually.

Just wait, I started with 5 and now have over 70... Buddy started with 1 now has 70 as well ?????????.  

The chase is fun but also annoying, in the end you usually find out a nice 30$ store pick beats a unicorn in taste, but hey we all want a unicorn anyway!

• I like it 2

In advance of participating in Sober October, I've been whittling my open bottles down to a manageable number.  There are about a dozen open now. 

The next dozen (sealed and on-deck) are the last of the mediocre daily drinkers from my initial buying frenzy (Full Effin' Tater).  Should take me into 2020. 

This leaves a nice collection of bourbon in the bunker for the long haul. 

I'm only adding mind-blowing private selections at this point.  Expecting another round of barrels from Buffalo Trace soon. 

Counting my Bourbon, Scotch, and Rum, I usually have 15-20 open bottles.  I will occasionally have a rye open as well.

I can never make up my mind, so I always have quite a few open at any given time. Here's the current options:

20181001_opens.jpg

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Guss West said:

The next dozen (sealed and on-deck) are the last of the mediocre daily drinkers from my initial buying frenzy (Full Effin' Tater).  Should take me into 2020. 

This leaves a nice collection of bourbon in the bunker for the long haul. 

IMHO...….Don't do that to yourself, life is too short to drink only mediocre whiskey!! Drink the stuff you love and leave the mediocre for your buddies and family who use bourbon as a mixer

• I like it 1

My intention was to only open as many as would fit on the upper shelf... but now there are probably a dozen or so down below that are open either because I just couldn't wait or needed to taste it to see if I wanted to go back to the store for more... I've come to realize my problem isn't that I have too many whiskeys... I have too many bottles of stuff that isn't brown!

Bourbon 10.jpg

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

I can never make up my mind, so I always have quite a few open at any given time. Here's the current options:

20181001_opens.jpg

It looks like you only the essence of that boss hog left. 

5 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

It looks like you only the essence of that boss hog left. 

It's a trick of the light. There's a good 1-2 pours left in there. I've enjoyed it, but it's not one that will be replaced. That was the 1st BH and the more recent ones are WAY out of my price range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.