What Bourbon Bottles(s) did you open today? Fall 2018

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

51 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Yes, this bottle is the one finished in Oloroso casks. 

A caveat, my palate has been off for several weeks, due to a lingering sinus infection.  It is coming back, thankfully.  However, my ability to distinguish delicate sweet notes is still lacking.  Having said all of this, I did not pick up sherry notes, like I have found in other Sherry finished bourbons that I have sampled.  What i enjoyed was a seriously good Traditional WT pour.  I look forward to coming back to the bottle, as my palate recovers fully. 

I hope I helped you, but I am sure I just muddied the water.  Hopefully someone else can give help. 

BTW, I hope the new coach at Ohio St., continues the great seasons you all have had recently.

Cheers

That does muddy it a bit! That's OK. Jeff's response combined with yours does help. I might give it a go.

And thanks about the coach. I hear good things about him and already know he can put together a great offense. I just hope he can recruit and do all the other head coach things while maintaining the high standards on offense.

55 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Yes, this bottle is the one finished in Oloroso casks. 

A caveat, my palate has been off for several weeks, due to a lingering sinus infection.  It is coming back, thankfully.  However, my ability to distinguish delicate sweet notes is still lacking.  Having said all of this, I did not pick up sherry notes, like I have found in other Sherry finished bourbons that I have sampled.  What i enjoyed was a seriously good Traditional WT pour.  I look forward to coming back to the bottle, as my palate recovers fully. 

I hope I helped you, but I am sure I just muddied the water.  Hopefully someone else can give help. 

BTW, I hope the new coach at Ohio St., continues the great seasons you all have had recently.

Cheers

I had only one pour at a restaurant, but my memory of it pretty much mirrors yours. IMO they left the whiskey in those casks just long enough to compliment amazing flavors without taking over. I've recently started looking for my own bottle, but I think I may have waited slightly too long to pull the trigger. I haven't seen one around here since I decided I wanted one. Oh well, there will always be another i want. 

16 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Another one from the bunker

BCF126BD-5025-4F4E-9082-84B2B1D0F2EE.jpeg

Had this myself last night.  A great pour to finish an evening.  If there ever was a dessert whiskey this is it.

Mrs. Vosgar and I were both very fortunate and had our names drawn at a local store lottery for these ORVW's, at MSRP no less :). Figured it was only right to open one of them right away. Excellent whiskey!

20181206_214605.jpg

• I like it 11

Mrs. Vosgar and I were both very fortunate and had our names drawn at a local store lottery for these ORVW's, at MSRP no less [emoji4]. Figured it was only right to open one of them right away. Excellent whiskey!

20181206_214605.thumb.jpg.0ebf49a8906cdc14ed02b477cd5881b2.jpg

Congratulations on winning the Daily Double! [emoji3]
  • I like it 2

Well not really bourbon but I did open some Maker's Mark tonight, looks like this Christmas MM is suppling the stockings!

y4mQViOkKwPP761ogI5zNqmS3huw4LSfkcM3ksZi

• I like it 1

On 12/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, Mako254 said:

Batched w/ 7-10 year old juice. 101 proof. OTD for $22

E7D7CA28-A44A-4FA8-9F85-DD55F526DB28.jpeg

Winning.

#lawrenceburgcult

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Winning.

#lawrenceburgcult

Look for the LL/GH (G-2018 H -August) bottle code. 

On 12/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, Mako254 said:

Batched w/ 7-10 year old juice. 101 proof. OTD for $22

I read on this forum last spring that the 2018 batches of WT101 would be 7-10 yo, up from 6-8. 

9 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Look for the LL/GH (G-2018 H -August) bottle code.  

Got this on sale at my local Safeway last week for $15.99 plus tax.  Should I go back for more?  Decisions.  Decisions.... :lol:

LL-GH.JPG

Bottle of Batch 7 Stagg Jr. was added to the cabinet this evening. The duration of stay is TBD, but I am guessing it won't be long like most bottles of Stagg Jr. I open.

• I like it 1

I sincerely hope I never see people picking up and scouring bottles of recently produced standard WT101 looking for date codes.  It’s annoying enough to watch this “show” go on in liquor stores now with certain bottles, then hear the “showman” bloviate on why it’s important to no one in particular.  

• I like it 6

You've been shopping in CT lately? 

Leave us alone, we're arguing with the voices in our heads. 

• I like it 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, smokinjoe said:

I sincerely hope I never see people picking up and scouring bottles of recently produced standard WT101 looking for date codes.  It’s annoying enough to watch this “show” go on in liquor stores now with certain bottles, then hear the “showman” bloviate on why it’s important to no one in particular.  

I couldn't agree more.  They are manufacturing ways to "discover" something special.

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

I couldn't agree more.  They are manufacturing ways to "discover" something special.

I say live and let live. Batches are batches, and they vary. If someone finds something they like, be it a single barrel of HM10, a certain FR recipe, or a current batch of ECBP,  Stagg Jr., or WT101, more power to them on their hunt for more.

• I like it 3

I opened an Old Forester 1897 this afternoon. Priced a little bit more than what I would term a daily pour at around $47+tx but immensely more interesting than their Signature 100. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Postal Grunt said:

I opened an Old Forester 1897 this afternoon. Priced a little bit more than what I would term a daily pour at around $47+tx but immensely more interesting than their Signature 100. 

I really like the 1897 and feel it's underrated.  Agree about the price, but it's an enjoyable pour nonetheless.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.