Weller Special Reserve

rmoore926
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/25/2018 at 8:16 AM, BottledInBond said:

In SoCal, a lot of things are probably overpriced. 

There is a nationwide audience on SB. What seems like a good price in Washington State is a whole lot different from what seems like a good price in KY or LA. What do you think is a good price for gasoline in California? (I once paid $5.47 but that was for just enough to get me out of CA.) In some places, control states for example, there are bourbons that are totally unavailable at any price whatsoever so they seem to be  infinitely more desirable. You start to think, Boy, I'd like to have me some of that so I'll pay more for it. Until, at some point, you finally remember that it is just whiskey and you can have a really decent pour of lots of things in the $20-$30 range no matter where you are. WSR has always been the bottom shelf iteration in the Weller line from my point of view. I can always something I would rather have for the same or even lower price.

• I like it 1

I’m late to the discussion and it’s moved past the Larceny recommendations but in my opinion Larceny tastes nothing like Weller. I find more similarities between weller and eagle rare, Buffalo Trace and Blanton’s than I do Larceny. No, they aren’t wheaters and I’m mixing three different mashbills but they taste closer to weller. To me. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

I’m late to the discussion and it’s moved past the Larceny recommendations but in my opinion Larceny tastes nothing like Weller. I find more similarities between weller and eagle rare, Buffalo Trace and Blanton’s than I do Larceny. No, they aren’t wheaters and I’m mixing three different mashbills but they taste closer to weller. To me. 

I agree with this. Weller screams BT (the distillery that is). I personally can't reliably distinguish between wheated vs ryed bourbon, and don't find that wheaters have a common taste profile. But, Larceny is awesome nonetheless!

Not that my opinion has any particular weight :) I just wanted to clarify my stance as the guy who +1d the Larceny post previously.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

There is also the bar pour option, it may scratch the itch and save you some $$ in the long run. FWIW I purchased my one and only WSR several years ago for 9.99. I couldn’t finish it and gave the last of the bottle to a friend that was curious to SBS it with W12

As others have posted OWA is to my taste the pick of the Weller litter (sub 30.00) for reference here.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Edited by kcgumbohead

18 hours ago, Charlutz said:

My point wasn’t necessarily that Larceny tastes the same as WSR. I even noted Larceny has more character on my palate. My point was more that they’re both wheaters that should be found on the same shelf (quality-wise, so to speak) and a good way to tell whether the store is jacking up the price of the WSR because of the current bourbon climate, or whether all products are being similarly marked up due to the region (Southern California), would be to compare the price on both at this store. If they’re similar, it’s the latter, if the WSR is significantly more, it’s the former.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 2

I am trying the Keto diet. 5'10" 195. Need to drop like 30. I have never craved sweets until now. So I'm getting by with WSR Manhattans. At $17/750 it's a great deal. Wouldn't dare mix my OWA or W12.IMG_20181001_184935.jpeg

6 hours ago, mattbta said:

I am trying the Keto diet. 5'10" 195. Need to drop like 30. I have never craved sweets until now. So I'm getting by with WSR Manhattans. At $17/750 it's a great deal. Wouldn't dare mix my OWA or W12.

How does alcohol fit in with the Keto Diet? I don't know a lot about it, but know that alcohol is generally prohibited if you're actively trying to lose weight with any other diet.

4 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

How does alcohol fit in with the Keto Diet? I don't know a lot about it, but know that alcohol is generally prohibited if you're actively trying to lose weight with any other diet.

Nothing is prohibited in a sane diet, speaking for muscle gain and fat loss, not special medical conditions. Distilled spirits should cause you the least grief of everything, with ~150 calories for a good pour. That's often far less than your typical salad dressing.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed a WSR locally for $23. Not a bad pour. Just got a Weller 12 1.75L from same place for $49.99

had Weller 12 in Vegas and thought it was really good. First time finding it in a store. Had 15 yr Pappy in Louisville, was pretty good but I remember my Van Winkle 12 was a disappointment, but only paid $89 on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.