Weller Special Reserve

rmoore926
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was hoping/praying to find a bottle of W12 and stopped at a local liquor store in So Cal.  No W12 (said he just got 2 bottles last week and was holding for special customers - I understand), but he did have couple bottles of WSR.  Never had a Weller, but think I'd like it.  Wondering what a decent price is for this bottle.  I know that it's different everywhere, but what would you feel comfortable paying.  I think he was charging $35.  If I pull the trigger, just making sure I'm not being taken for a ride.  While I'm asking what's a decent price for the W12 in case I run across it?  Thanks, I appreciate the help.  

Retail for WSR is around $17-$20. To me it's fine in that range, but there are quite a few I like better in the $20-$25 range. 

W12 retails around $25-30, but good luck finding it for that, or at all. 

To me OWA is the best of the bunch and is easier to find than W12.  Last time I bought it was roughly $30 for a liter. 

Im one who would advise a pass at any price on the WSR. Just not a good bourbon to me. But definitely not more than $25 or youll feel like you got taken. Agree with JC on the OWA.. usually $29-$32 and a nice bourbon. Would go as high as $59 for W12 because its so hard to find. Passed at $99 yesterday.. its good but not $99 good unless you just have to have that first bottle. 

• I like it 1

WSR is a $20 whiskey, make no mistake. I'd pay slightly more than retail, say +$5-10 for W12 or OWA, but not this one. To me this is the only one that drinks at its price from the bunch, but not above it.

• I like it 2

In SoCal, a lot of things are probably overpriced. $35 is overpriced for WSR for many of us as noted above. But if everything else is also overpriced then maybe it’s OK to pay that if your other choices are equally overpriced. I don’t pay more than $20 for WSR ever but I live in the Midwest. Just don’t expect any magic in this bottle. If anyone tries to make a Pappy comparison to WSR just don’t say a word and back up slowly out of the store, and never return

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Just don’t expect any magic in this bottle. If anyone tries to make a Pappy comparison to WSR just don’t say a word and back up slowly out of the store, and never return

Loved this line, so true.  

To the OP, $35 is very high for WSR.   I recently paid $30 for a single barrel pick of WSR and was none to thrilled about it.  Prices have crept up to the $20+ range and I generally pass, but I also have drank a lot of WSR so I know exactly where it stands with me.  It's light and approachable and easy summer drinking.  I keep a handle in the garage fridge  and occasionally enjoy it over a large cube with a dash of orange bitters for a lazy man cocktail.  The Weller name does carry some cache for casual drinkers and parties so it is a good table bourbon that you do not need to care how others are drinking it.  Really the best use IMO is as part of the Grandpa Weller Four Grain blend (WSR and OGD114 at a 2:1 ratio).  This SB blend is fantastic and the sum is waaay better then the individual parts.  

• I like it 2

I paid $19 for mine, still haven't cracked it yet.  I'm begging to find OWA but haven't had any success...

If your goal is to get a wheater fix, see what the same place is charging for Larceny. I think it’s MSRP is actually higher than WSR’s, but in my area it’s typically priced around the same if not a few bucks less. I think it’s a good way to gauge a particular stores markup due to “Weller frenzy,” because those two bottles should be pretty evenly priced... and for my money, Larceny has just a bit more character anyway ... that said, I’m not paying $35 for either of them.

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

In SoCal, a lot of things are probably overpriced. $35 is overpriced for WSR for many of us as noted above. But if everything else is also overpriced then maybe it’s OK to pay that if your other choices are equally overpriced. I don’t pay more than $20 for WSR ever but I live in the Midwest. Just don’t expect any magic in this bottle. If anyone tries to make a Pappy comparison to WSR just don’t say a word and back up slowly out of the store, and never return

I'm at a loss, what would be a "Pappy comparison"?

15 minutes ago, mross said:

They both come from the same BT distillate. Similarities end there.

Edit: Sorry, if you're not familiar with the subject matter, you probably know that Pappy Van Winkle series is the obscenely overpriced and hyped wheated LE bourbon from BT. People with questionable motives/knowledge will often proclaim that "Weller is the same whiskey as Pappieez!! Only $999 cheaper!"

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

Some products are not available readily in all markets. If you did "overpay" for the Weller since it's not widely available in your area, after tax you'd be in for $2.25 a pour. You could justify the price if it's the best option and you would like to try it.  :) 

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, mross said:

When the retailer says something along the lines of "You know this WSR is the EXACT same recipe as Pappy Van Winkle,  so you are really just so lucky that I am allowing you to purchase this baby Pappy from me."  

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

15 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Some products are not available readily in all markets. If you did "overpay" for the Weller since it's not widely available in your area, after tax you'd be in for $2.25 a pour. You could justify the price if it's the best option and you would like to try it.  :) 

Here in No. Cal., Weller is rarely seen, even WSR.  My nearby Bevmo will get a couple of bottles two or three times a year and they charge $28.  I assume the situation is similar in SoCal.  So, a $8-$10 scarcity premium is not that bad if you want to check Weller off your bucket list.  A lot of people hate on WSR but I think it's a good but not great bourbon.  I certainly prefer it to Maker's Mark.  OWA107 is a lot better, IMO but much harder to find out here. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

If your goal is to get a wheater fix, see what the same place is charging for Larceny. I think it’s MSRP is actually higher than WSR’s, but in my area it’s typically priced around the same if not a few bucks less. I think it’s a good way to gauge a particular stores markup due to “Weller frenzy,” because those two bottles should be pretty evenly priced... and for my money, Larceny has just a bit more character anyway ... that said, I’m not paying $35 for either of them.

Agreed, Larceny is a fantastic wheater for the price.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Agree 100%. Comparing WSR to an aged Van Winkle is like someone saying Evan Williams black is pretty much Elijag Craig 18. 

To the OP, value is between you, your taste buddies and your wallet.  

Like what you like. You are enjoying bourbon for yourself not a bunch of people on the internet. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kane said:

They both come from the same BT distillate. Similarities end there.

Edit: Sorry, if you're not familiar with the subject matter, you probably know that Pappy Van Winkle series is the obscenely overpriced and hyped wheated LE bourbon from BT. People with questionable motives/knowledge will often proclaim that "Weller is the same whiskey as Pappieez!! Only $999 cheaper!"

Ok, I thought it might be something like that. Yeah I have seen the info on the crazy prices for Pappy. I have never even come across a bottle in any of my visits. I have also read the pundits saying this bourbon or that bourbon is every-bit as good as Pappy. I tried one or two of them and was not impressed at all. Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part but I just can't see it being that much better than some of the other offerings out there.

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

To the OP, value is between you, your taste buddies and your wallet.  

Like what you like. You are enjoying bourbon for yourself not a bunch of people on the internet. 

With due respect, I don’t think anyone is telling him what to like or dislike. He’s never yet had WSR to know whether he likes it or not. Objectively, he’s just asking whether $35 is a reasonable amount  for him to pay to find out.

Thanks for all the input and help.  The guy at the store was chatty and telling me that to get the bottles he wanted W12 (and I think some Pappy) he had to buy a bunch of other inventory that he didn't necessarily want.  Thus he was charging more than "retail" to help him make the difference.  I understand the business aspect of that or maybe he was blowing smoke.  Not sure, but it sounds like $25 might be a more reasonable price point.  I think I'll pass for now.  Thanks for the advice on Larceny.  I'll give it a look and keep my eyes peeled for the elusive W12 and OWA.  Cheers.

19 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Im one who would advise a pass at any price on the WSR. Just not a good bourbon to me. But definitely not more than $25 or youll feel like you got taken. Agree with JC on the OWA.. usually $29-$32 and a nice bourbon. Would go as high as $59 for W12 because its so hard to find. Passed at $99 yesterday.. its good but not $99 good unless you just have to have that first bottle. 

Well over 10 years ago I read a good review of WSR so bought a bottle. Mistake. Not even close to OWA, one of my top 3 daily pours.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

The only Van Winkle that WSR is comparable to is Lot B, because they're both dull.

Well, any of the post-2008 Lot Bs, anyway.B)  RE: WSR - we don't see the Wellers often in WashDC.  Recently, a purveyor had a store pick of WSR, and I bought two - one for use in vatting and the other just in case I feel bad about NOT drinking it by itself (and thus ultimately for vatting).  FWIW, I betcha I've not had more than one pour per bottle neat (just in case something special got in there by mistake - so far it hasn't happened).  The rest was used in cocktails and vattings exclusively.

5 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

With due respect, I don’t think anyone is telling him what to like or dislike. He’s never yet had WSR to know whether he likes it or not. Objectively, he’s just asking whether $35 is a reasonable amount  for him to pay to find out.

Fair point. 

Thanks for all the input and help.  The guy at the store was chatty and telling me that to get the bottles he wanted W12 (and I think some Pappy) he had to buy a bunch of other inventory that he didn't necessarily want.  Thus he was charging more than "retail" to help him make the difference.  I understand the business aspect of that or maybe he was blowing smoke.  Not sure, but it sounds like $25 might be a more reasonable price point.  I think I'll pass for now.  Thanks for the advice on Larceny.  I'll give it a look and keep my eyes peeled for the elusive W12 and OWA.  Cheers.

There is actually some truth in what he was saying, except that the bottles the distributors “encourage” him to buy are usually other Buffalo Trace products including their vodka, so it’s not really things he can’t sell at regular margin. However, he may have to sit on more inventory than he or she wants, which does have a financial cost.

I don’t begrudge a store putting a premium price on highly sought after products, but that premium should be reasonable under the circumstances, and not be perceived as intentional gouging. Not taking care of regular customers can be foolish business in the long run, but some stores just don’t seem to care.

10 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

There is actually some truth in what he was saying, except that the bottles the distributors “encourage” him to buy are usually other Buffalo Trace products including their vodka, so it’s not really things he can’t sell at regular margin. However, he may have to sit on more inventory than he or she wants, which does have a financial cost.

I don’t begrudge a store putting a premium price on highly sought after products, but that premium should be reasonable under the circumstances, and not be perceived as intentional gouging. Not taking care of regular customers can be foolish business in the long run, but some stores just don’t seem to care.

Agreed.  "Bundling" does not occur only with TV cable packages.  Frankly, I am surprised that more retailers in non-control states DON'T deviate more from MSRP.

• I like it 1

Agreed.  "Bundling" does not occur only with TV cable packages.  Frankly, I am surprised that more retailers in non-control states DON'T deviate more from MSRP.

I do a good bit of business with several stores that either reward their best customers with LE stuff at retail or have a regular customer lottery that gives you a chance to buy at retail. I think these practices are pretty common, so I think that is why you don’t see more deviation from MSRP among more retailers. Of course, I also know some stores that sell all of their most highly prized bourbons at secondary and some that price things somewhere in between. I seldom shop in the stores that price things at secondary prices, and have no loyalty to them at all, but they occasionally will have something that I can’t find elsewhere, and if not, I have no qualms about walking out without purchasing anything...and have done so many times.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.