What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Downtown. Big trade show. 

PRI?  Lots of great options in downtown Indy, both around Circle Centre and on Mass Ave.

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

PRI?  Lots of great options in downtown Indy, both around Circle Centre and on Mass Ave.

Yup. The PRI. We are at the Hyatt, and have hit a lot of the nearby spots throughout the years. The hotel bar involves much less cold walking this time of year, plus the bourbon selection here is ok. 

• I like it 1

Chilly enough that we had to put a fire on in the chiminea while we set up the front yard Christmas decorations tonight.  That was nice, but a solid pour of Dekalb Bottle House Select Buffalo Trace made it even better.  I’ve ripped through 2 of these bottles already, and this one is going fast.  Great pick.

4 hours ago, Statesboro Blues said:

Finally found another single barrel, two months after finishing my last. Why are the great ones so difficult to find?

FEE66427-EC6E-4F8F-8DAB-4B35BD659CDA.jpeg

I had a generous pour of some EHT Single Barrel myself this evening.

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I'll have to swing by there. My favorite of the bunch was a TW pick from the 7th floor. I can't remember if it was from Brentwood or Town and Country. The other one from TW was great as well. 

I wasnt surprised that the non store pick (old label) could not keep up with all but one of the store picks. I highly recommend having someone do a blind pour of all yours. 

Will do. 

Old label can be hit or miss but mam, when they are good it is special. 

A sbs with two OBSQ picks. I absolutely love the Q yeast. Is it my favorite, not necessarily. But it sure is unique. 

20181206_180006.jpg

• I like it 4

Single Barrel Shines!!!

That is the headline for this bottle of Blanton's dumped on Oct 4th, bottle 275. I can't believe how good this bottle is!

The downside is that when it is gone, the headline will be:

Blanton's Single Barrel just not as good as back in Oct 2018!!!

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

A sbs with two OBSQ picks. I absolutely love the Q yeast. Is it my favorite, not necessarily. But it sure is unique. 

20181206_180006.jpg

Schnucks is such a great store name.

5 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20181206_180006.jpg

Nice! I'm a big fan of OESQ. Have an OBSQ arriving in the mail tomorrow which I am very excited about.

Feelin’ like a rye to start the weekend.  This picture is BOTY safe...  :D

01F89959-6B9E-48B0-9D90-B35A1AE0E951.jpeg

• I like it 8

BT Binny’s pick. From a family size bottle. Probably just in my mind but seems a lot more complex than usual.

• I like it 1

Feelin’ like a rye to start the weekend.  This picture is BOTY safe...  [emoji3]

01F89959-6B9E-48B0-9D90-B35A1AE0E951.thumb.jpeg.847ef748b0dce74955661972ac8efa7b.jpeg

Wow very nice.

Hey what’s that stuff with the tacky gold label???

28 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

BT Binny’s pick. From a family size bottle. Probably just in my mind but seems a lot more complex than usual.

I love those nights when basic pours sing like upper tier bottles. 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Feelin’ like a rye to start the weekend.  This picture is BOTY safe...  :D

01F89959-6B9E-48B0-9D90-B35A1AE0E951.jpeg

What is BOTY?

That pour looks amazing AND with the VSOF and CGF in the background it’s a veritable unicorn herd! Wonder what’s in the paisley bag? Probably something incredible!

I was really undecided as to where I was going to post this. Well, here's where it's landed. ;)

I'm having a nice pour of 2017 WLW this evening for a number of reasons.

Reason #1. It's been a helluva long week at work. :mellow: I deserve it. 

Reason #2. I received my yearly company Xmas gift/bonus today, and it was better than expected. :o

Reason #3. It's freakin' good! :P

Reason #4. Why not? After all, I am the self proclaimed Weller whore of SB.com. :D

Reason #5. I entered a drawing at a store for their Pappy and BTAC allocation. The luck of the Irish must have been with me. Imagine my surprise when I got the call that my name had been drawn. Even better was the fact that I actually got my choice from the BTAC. (No ER17) Of course I chose the WLW. So I'm celebrating getting a 2018 WLW with a couple of pours of 2017 WLW. "Don't git much better'n that Vern." What can I say?^_^

A shout out to Vosgar and Galvin0791. Thanks guys. I had a really great time last night. Dinner was good, the pours afterwards were better, but the company was the best. 

Biba! Joe

wlw18.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was really undecided as to where I was going to post this. Well, here's where it's landed. ;)

Reason #2. I received my yearly company Xmas gift/bonus today, and it was better than expected. :o

Reason #4. Why not? After all, I am the self proclaimed Weller whore of SB.com. :D

Reason #5. I entered a drawing at a store for their Pappy and BTAC allocation. The luck of the Irish must have been with me. Imagine my surprise when I got the call that my name had been drawn. Even better was the fact that I actually got my choice from the BTAC. (No ER17) Of course I chose the WLW. So I'm celebrating getting a 2018 WLW with a couple of pours of 2017 WLW. "Don't git much better'n that Vern." What can I say?^_^

A shout out to Vosgar and Galvin0791. Thanks guys. I had a really great time last night. Dinner was good, the pours afterwards were better, but the company was the best. 

Biba! Joe

wlw18.jpeg

Congratulations on all 5 counts!  Frosty looks pretty happy with the generous pour.

Edited by mbroo5880i

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

wlw18.jpeg

You may be a Weller whore but at least not a cheap one. Congrates...

Toasting to my last day at a job I started on 5/10/04, was able to find a bourbon in my stash that started at about the same time.

565BFAE5-B9EA-4F82-8988-1B1D40F07041.jpeg

• I like it 5

Some HH6 90p tonight while hoping the Blues hold on! I like this one a bit better than BIB. I think I have one more in the bunker.

Edit: Blues win in a shutout! This bourbon suddenly tastes better.

20181207_211941-784x1613.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

Rhetoric 20.  I've been nursing this bottle for a while.  Sometimes i kinda forget about it.  It's about half empty now and has a real nice butterscotch thing going on.  Don't think it's too woody at all.  Anyone have an informed opinion on the subsequent Rhetorics?

30 minutes ago, Tony Santana said:

Rhetoric 20.  I've been nursing this bottle for a while.  Sometimes i kinda forget about it.  It's about half empty now and has a real nice butterscotch thing going on.  Don't think it's too woody at all.  Anyone have an informed opinion on the subsequent Rhetorics?

I've got Rheotric 23 and 24 open right now, and a 25 waiting a couple weeks to be opened. The 23 is pretty good, the oak is starting to take over but it hasn't quite. The 24 I still find enjoyable, but the balance is completely off at this point, it's oak, oak and more oak. I expect the 25 to continue the trend. So maybe 23 was the tipping point, but I find it a rather fascinating lesson in aging.

Rhetoric 21/22 were pretty good too, but harder to track down these days.

Of the other, reasonably obtained Orphan Barrels, Barterhouse is the sweet spot for me. Lovely dessert notes balanced perfectly with a touch of spice, leather, and plenty of dry oak. One of my favorite whiskies overall. I never had a chance to try Rhetoric 20 but I assume it's extremely similar to Barterhouse.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.