What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OWA PS.... the 2 PS of the 4 I have obtained this year are not nearly as good as the standard OWA. They are noticeabally hotter and seem younger. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

• I like it 1

I've been slowly sipping on a variety of stuff as the day goes on and I am working around the house. After the Lions got clowned by the Bears, I had some Angel's Envy from France 44 (it was pretty meh, but I don't really like AE very much anyway), and now I am enjoying a nice 9yr SAOS single barrel (Barrel 2622 at 103.6 proof) while grilling meat over fire. This is so much better than the AE.

A 14y KC store pick from Wisconsin. 

The beam profile is there hiding in the background, but the wood really dominates this one. 

There is also a lot of caramel. 

Overall its pretty darn good. 

:)

FC9A9A50-949A-41FB-B2F7-6509B766C8F1.jpeg

• I like it 1

A little New Riff BiB from the last Bourbon Pilgtimage, followed by a slightly dusty JBDS.  All while watching B5 and Am Loggers.....

13 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Good day of football, Bills had a good win for once and the Pats lost. Time to celebrate.

IMG_5590.JPG tell

And I get to listen to SWMBO tell me how bad the Patsies are this year and the Bills are making a comeback (heh, heh).   ☺️

And I get to listen to SWMBO tell me how bad the Patsies are this year and the Bills are making a comeback (heh, heh).   [emoji5]

Who’s SWBO? The Bills had a good game but they are the mess. Also as much as I enjoy seeing the Pats lose there still the Pats. I’m sure they’ll make another deep rum this year.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:59 PM, Clueby said:

Heading out tonight. Already at the airport. We have it in STL as well. Just was the best of what the bar had to offer. Bartender let me try Wigle bourbon. Yikes.

Indeed, and at a premium price, ugh.

50 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Who’s SWBO?

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed = the little wifie...  :lol:

• I like it 2

Tried Blanton's SFTB Friday night... WOW! She packs a punch, flavor-wise that is... So good. Caramel, vanilla, oak, and so much more, creamy mouth feel, exquisite finish... between the proof and no chill filtering this thing makes the 93° stuff taste pretty damn bland in a SBS... The price and shipping make me uncertain if I'd do it again... but was definitely worth it to experience this one...

Took the wife to a job interview today since I'm off work (thank you veterans!). We stopped for a lunch at a place I had a tip on that they had CYPB. Trying a pour. It's like a really good WSR. A little deeper, more intense, and sweeter flavors. Still prefer OWA and W12.

20181112_131232-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Who’s SWBO? The Bills had a good game but they are the mess. Also as much as I enjoy seeing the Pats lose there still the Pats. I’m sure they’ll make another deep rum this year.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed (i.e., The Wife!).   ☺️

• I like it 1

A quick little SXS (not blind) with two 125 proof single barrel picks. My preference was easily predictable. On one hand I'm pretty lukewarm on 1792. On the other the hand Q yeast is absolutely in my wheelhouse. 

I then poured some ECBP B517 (124.2 proof) to challenge the OESQ. Now that's a really strong competitor. The 4R inches out a victory. I'll have to do it blind next time. 

20181112_191318.jpg

I checked  back in on a bottle of Booker's 2017-04 Sip Awhile. I absolutely love this stuff.  Anything similar to this stuff since i like Booker's so much?  I've tried Baker's already. 

I used to really enjoy having a nice, full bunker, looking through it, organizing and taking inventory. Back before OWA became a unicorn of our modern age I used to keep a healthy supply of it, which I have maintained the last 6 years steadily. This past year it has been entirely absent and I was hesitant at first to enjoy one of my favorite every day bourbons, staring at the stash in all its glory. Now I’m down to 4 bottles of various ages and I’m just happy to be enjoying it without a second thought.

2A6D2D6B-30FE-4FE7-A31F-9C8E71EC215A.jpeg

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, foppa78 said:

I checked  back in on a bottle of Booker's 2017-04 Sip Awhile. I absolutely love this stuff.  Anything similar to this stuff since i like Booker's so much?  I've tried Baker's already. 

Knob Creek Single Barrel in theory is similar, it is more Oak forward generally. I prefer Booker's but since KC Single Barrel is half the price it's certainly an obvious choice, a little more age and a little less proof,  if you haven't had it. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, foppa78 said:

Sip Awhile was great but I thought Backyard BBQ, 2018-02, was even better.  To your question, Stagg Jr. and ECPB are comparable to Booker's, IMO, but with somewhat different flavor profiles.  If you haven't tried those other two, you should...

• I like it 1

On 11/12/2018 at 6:02 AM, GeeTen said:

And I get to listen to SWMBO tell me how bad the Patsies are this year and the Bills are making a comeback (heh, heh).   ☺️

I was at that game, a HUGE number of fellow New Englanders were in attendance, it looked worse in person. Hopefully just an aberration, it was a perfect football day weather wise just not a great outcome.

A87D79B3-C7DC-4FAD-8B61-EB09A6C9DEC1.thumb.jpeg.1de5fe40958fd913d24e6a6c564498b1.jpegHaving some Jefferson's 16y tonight. This bourbon has gotten better over time. A very solid pour. 

Edited by LCWoody

Enjoying a new private selection Four Roses Single Barrel that just landed at one of my favorite liquor stores...OBSF. Almost 9yo, so it has a good bit of oak, but bunches of caramel sweetness and herbal spice notes to go with it...good stuff.

• I like it 1

No pics tonight, but I'm slowly sipping on WT Rare Bird, 61%.  Lots of oak, but not in a bad way.  A little goes a long way...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.