What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/14/2018 at 12:08 AM, Kepler said:

Wanted something to sip on during this cold night.  OGD114 fits the bill nicely.

I did the same last night, with rain pushing out and temps dropping tonight I am planning a sequel.

I'm off work for 12 days and it just snowed 5-6 inches. I'm currently cooking chili on the Egg, and I just sat down with a glass of VOB BIB. It's going to be a relaxing afternoon. 

20181115_115004.jpg

20181115_122750.jpg

• I like it 4

95D38B1B-25D1-4F7C-9028-0E2A2FE1AB26.thumb.jpeg.11b241f931d9ce1eae46f13495707811.jpeg

Slowly killing this one, sipping on the 2018 also and, to be honest, I like the 2018 more. Both are amazing pour though. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

95D38B1B-25D1-4F7C-9028-0E2A2FE1AB26.thumb.jpeg.11b241f931d9ce1eae46f13495707811.jpeg

Slowly killing this one, sipping on the 2018 also and, to be honest, I like the 2018 more. Both are amazing pour though. Cheers! 

Will.

How come you use that little stem-taster? 

:o

:mellow:

^_^

;)

:)

:D

:lol:

Whadya think that hole in the top of the bottle is for?   Heeee-He!

• I like it 1

I'm off work for 12 days and it just snowed 5-6 inches. I'm currently cooking chili on the Egg, and I just sat down with a glass of VOB BIB. It's going to be a relaxing afternoon. 
20181115_115004.thumb.jpg.70bc445d91d66455c9272495df5121bc.jpg
20181115_122750.thumb.jpg.9d3bbdb4b520bb0fc3262e3621072276.jpg

I love chili on the Green Egg. The whisp of smoke the chili gets is incredible. I try and make a big batch around this time of year as well.

What kind of Dutch oven is that ?

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, FasterHorses said:

OWA PS.... the 2 PS of the 4 I have obtained this year are not nearly as good as the standard OWA. They are noticeabally hotter and seem younger. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Interesting take! I have experience just the opposite. The Whiskey Bar here, had an unbelievable barrel of OWA that sent me on the hunt for it & my grab, while pretty good, doesn't measure up to theirs. I have had a pour 1st, every time I have visited & their barrel has defeated everything that followed.

You just never know...

Really enjoying the Calumet 12yr, grabbed 2day. A very subtle caramel nose. It is a bit sweet, with cherry & caramel on the front end & a longish, slight oaky finish.

I think it was worth a buy...

1 hour ago, BigPapa said:

I love chili on the Green Egg. The whisp of smoke the chili gets is incredible. I try and make a big batch around this time of year as well.

What kind of Dutch oven is that ?

Tramontina 6qt enamel covered cast iron Dutch oven from Sam's. In hind sight I wouldn't have gotten the enamel covered one, but if so I wouldn't have gotten the yellow. This is a big pain in the butt to clean when I cook in the Egg. Oh well, once that chili hits my taste buds it makes that cleaning worth it. 

Enjoying a SAOS 8yr single barrel (107 proof, barrel 1026). This is an older bottling and was a sample from a friend. It's really nice! I have had a lot of MGP stuff and this is one of the best I've ever had that was MGP distillate. Wish I had a bottle, but I was glad I got to try it.

My bartender just refused to serve me a WT Longbranch with a straightforward "Nah, get something better." I'll try it at some point for sure, but I trust the guy a lot and didn't feel like breaking his heart today. So, their Kentucky Spirit PS it is.

33 minutes ago, Kane said:

My bartender just refused to serve me a WT Longbranch with a straightforward "Nah, get something better." I'll try it at some point for sure, but I trust the guy a lot and didn't feel like breaking his heart today. So, their Kentucky Spirit PS it is.

Your bartender knows what he's talking about and did you a favor, give him a bigger tip next time :) 

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

3 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Your bartender knows what he's talking about and did you a favor, give him a bigger tip next time :) 

I'd say the bartender is a whiskey snob.  If he really wanted to do you a favor, he would give you a tiny little sample in a shot glass just to let you try it out before ordering a full pour.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Will.

Wow!  That's high praise.

• I like it 1

Boone County 12yr.  I chose this one for the lower proof because it's a weeknight.  This stuff is fine but I find it a bit over aged.  I'm thinking it would have been better at 10 or 11 years maybe.  But still a solid pour, if over priced.

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'd say the bartender is a whiskey snob.  If he really wanted to do you a favor, he would give you a tiny little sample in a shot glass just to let you try it out before ordering a full pour.

He gave me a not-so-tiny sample in a Glencairn right after I posted this :) He keeps his cool points.

I agree with the general opinion that it was inoffensive at best, didn't stand a chance next to WTKS. I'll probably have it on its own again another day, just to make sure.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

He gave me a not-so-tiny sample in a Glencairn right after I posted this :) He keeps his cool points.

I agree with the general opinion that it was inoffensive at best, didn't stand a chance next to WTKS. I'll probably have it on its own again another day, just to make sure.

Now that's more like it.  I was hoping the bartender would step up to the plate, and turns out, he did.  I once had a bartender give me a small free sample of PVW23 so that spoiled me on bartenders.  Of course it helps to be a regular customer.  

FWIW, I've tried the Longbranch at a Wild Turkey tasting so I'm not surprised by your tasting results.  But glad you got to try it yourself so  you can draw your own conclusions.  

Finishing the night with some Old Ezra 101 7yr.   I sheepishly admit that I've not paid much attention to it before hearing of it's imminent demise.  So of course due to chronic FOMO disease, now I just HAD to see what the fuss was about.  It's pretty much what I expected and reinforced my reasoning for not buying it before  -- in that, it's excellent stuff but if you already have a case of HH6BiB on hand, there's not much sense in paying twice the price for something with a very similar profile.  If you can't get HH6BiB for cheap (and I guess even THAT may be gone now), then it's a worthy substitute if you can find it.  It's actually one year older than HH6 so it has that going for it.

Will.
I'm not surprised the 2018 is better considering how much air is in that bottle...

3 hours ago, newmennium said:
18 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Will.

I'm not surprised the 2018 is better considering how much air is in that bottle...

Could be, but this is my third bottle of the 2015, so i'm well aware about the profile on this one. 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Wow!  That's high praise.

Yes it is, did you try it yet ? 

Will.

Starting the night with Stagg Jr. and a fire. Not doing a damn thing tonight except looking at a fire, and drinking some good bourbon.

• I like it 5

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

With Kane saying "my bartender", it tells me there's a history between them and that this bartender, like any good bartender, knows his customers likes and dislikes. I guess you and I will just have to disagree on this one

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.