What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sunday football pours were as follows: Buffalo Trace Single Barrel, Four Roses Smble, 1792 Single Barrel. Nice way to put a cap on what was a very enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend with the family. I hope everyone got to enjoy theirs as well. Cheers.

I watched some football, did a couple of small chores around the house, and shoveled a lot of snow today.  :mellow:  After the latest bout of shoveling this evening, I took a nice hot shower and was finally able to kick back with a pour. A nice pour of Weller 12 really hit the the spot. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 days off for thanksgiving messed up my sleep cycle, typical. Woke up at 11pm after what was supposed to be an afternoon nap. So it's a movie + bourbon night/morning, then work at 7am.

Pouring a 1oz WSR, then 3oz PH Promise of hope. Watching Park Chan Wook's (a favorite of mine) Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, at long last, I can't believe I haven't seen this one being the fan that I am. Then two other foreign films.

I had my own little tasting going on tonight...  Just some small pours.  VOB, Bernheim, & WT101 to close it out. 

Been awhile on the Bernheim.  Still not a fan.  My least favorite wheater.  I need to pick up a VOB BIB next time I find one.  I’d like to try it at 100 Proof. 

Had a couple on Thanksgiving day including a KC SiB PS, more on Saturday at our tailgate (ET BIB, KC SiB PS and others) and last night before the Mannheim Steamroller concert some Michter's Sour Mash.  Between that and getting a GTS at the BTAC release it was a very nice holiday weekend.

• I like it 1

Another little SBS with the  Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 Yr. Old (Batch 186) (Bottle Date 6/21/16) (99 Proof), and Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Small Batch BIB 7 Year Old (100 Proof). The color, has to go to the SA, little bit darker, I like. The nose goes to the SA as well, deeper, cinnamon, vanilla. The taste of both is very nice, vanilla, cinnamon, also pretty damn close. Maybe the nod to the SA, because I think the price was cheaper. I got to get some more CEHT Single Barrel, it's been awhile, and I have a SA Single Barrel at 120.8 I believe, that would be a nice SBS, maybe.

xx3olOu.jpg

Now that both kids have launched,  I've made one of the bedrooms into a music room, which is where the relaxation takes place.   What I do there is keep 12 bottles open,  intended to convey the full range of whisky.   The current open 12:

1.   Two K-Tuck bourbons -  Old Forester Statesman (which I'm sipping right now) and Old Forester 1910 (double oaked, and a completely different pour)

2.    One craft bourbon - J.P. Trodden (from Woodlinville, WA,  a craft straight of true quality)

3.   Two ryes -  Pikesville  (high proof "low rye" rye) and Midwinter's Night Dram (finished in port wine barrels)

4.   Two Irish -  Cooper's Croze (Jameson blend of advanced age) and Dunville's VR  (10 year old Cooley-sourced  single malt, finished in sherry casks)

5.    Three single malt scotches -  Highland Park 12 (peated Islay),  Bunnabhan 12 (unpeated Islay)  and Glennorangie Astar (Speyside aged in exotic wood)

6.    One blended scotch -  Artist's Blend from Compass Box  (best scotch value I know of)

7.   One American craft single malt -  DelBac Distiller's Cut (cask strength single malt from Arizona; not bad)

Edited by Jazzhead

A little Old Forester 1920 & a Romeo San Andres at The Rusty Nail in NOLA. 

4770F7C4-D59C-4BCC-BA81-EED5352CD2C2.thumb.jpeg.a5881318df912d78de024f764f9c4f20.jpeg

Ha just had one of San Andreas this weekend, I liked it, only wish it was at the Rusty Nail in Orleans.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Ha just had one of San Andreas this weekend, I liked it, only wish it was at the Rusty Nail in Orleans.

Best back patio in NOLA IMO.  Good selection & prices too.  I don’t know how often you get to NOLA, but Barrel Proof on Magazine has a great selection as well.  

The last pour of S-W Old Fitz BIB, with a George Winston CD and a very lazy Bullmastiff on the couch. End of an era...but glad I got to experience this whiskey. It was sui generis and I enjoyed the heck out of every glass I had. Salud...

IMG_3622.JPG

• I like it 2

Best back patio in NOLA IMO.  Good selection & prices too.  I don’t know how often you get to NOLA, but Barrel Proof on Magazine has a great selection as well.  

I’m in Houston and love NOLA, use to go a couple times a year but haven’t been in four years since I had the kid. Will have to correct that this summer when he’s staying with his grandparents for a month next summer.

Will need to check out Barrel Proof, I love Magazine.
  • I like it 1

Finally getting to this one. Pretty nice, either the extra years or the 1% higher proof, or both, but this is a couple of notches up from the 7 year old. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 Yr. Old (Batch 23) (Bottle Date 11/18/14) (100 Proof). Pretty nice cinnamon, vanilla, really nice finish. Really looking forward to the Single Barrel at 120 proof, now. Would be nice to see this shit around here.

dBdldkW.jpg

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Finally getting to this one. Pretty nice, either the extra years or the 1% higher proof, or both, but this is a couple of notches up from the 7 year old. Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 Yr. Old (Batch 23) (Bottle Date 11/18/14) (100 Proof). Pretty nice cinnamon, vanilla, really nice finish. Really looking forward to the Single Barrel at 120 proof, now. Would be nice to see this shit around here.

dBdldkW.jpg

Mashbills are also different the 7 year was higher rye at 36% than the 10 at 21%, I preferred the 7 when these were still on the shelf.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Mashbills are also different the 7 year was higher rye at 36% than the 10 at 21%, I preferred the 7 when these were still on the shelf.

Thanks. So, the recipe has changed on the 7 year old now?

15 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Thanks. So, the recipe has changed on the 7 year old now?

Neither is bottled any longer, they haven't been for a couple years. Smooth Ambler always used the high rye MGP Bourbon for the 7 year and lower rye for the 10 year, single barrels have come from both. It appears they will be releasing some Tennessee (likely Dickel) sourced single barrels in the near future but those will clearly be a different mashbill as well. From time to time they also release whats left of their MGP whiskey as distillery only single barrels. 

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

That's quite the sbsbs! 

I honestly love this series of releases, each one is completely unique to the other while still dripping heavily with that WT DNA. interestingly I prefer both the 17 (the lowest proof) and Revival with a drop or two of water both really come alive that way, Decades is just a really good drinking whiskey. Depending on what one looks for in a pricey bottle of hooch, I could see why someone would prefer any of these to the other. For my tastes I prefer the 17 year with a couple drops of water tonight. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.