WT101 and RR10yr batch sizes

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just listening to a podcast with Eddie Russell as one of the guests. He mentioned that WT101 is a batch of about 1500 barrels wheres RR10yr is a batch of about 150 barrels.

File this away for the next discussion about batch sizes. 

^^  Thanks Steve, that is interesting.  

I love listening to what Eddie has to say.  He isn't afraid to divulge information that we whiskey geeks love to learn about.  Seems like his son is the say way.  Ole Jimmy seems to prefer keeping things closer to the vest, which is fine too.  As long at they keep making that WT juice the same as they always have, I'm good.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I was just listening to a podcast with Eddie Russell as one of the guests. He mentioned that WT101 is a batch of about 1500 barrels wheres RR10yr is a batch of about 150 barrels.

File this away for the next discussion about batch sizes. 

Cool!  To me, this make RR10yr even more of a steal for the price.

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Which podcast?

Eddie is doing special things at Turkey right now. 

I think it was Drinky Fun Time. I had come across a link on twitter if I recall and didn't have time to listen so I emailed it to myself and then let it sit on a tab on my browser for a couple months until I finally had time to listen. They were recording from Tales of The Cocktail which is in July and also had Fred Minnick on the show. This particular podcast appears to be wide reaching and is more about drinking with celebrities. It's not bourbon focused.

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Eddie is doing special things at Turkey right now. 

Don’t short him.  The Russell’s have been doing special things for decades...

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Don’t short him.  The Russell’s have been doing special things for decades...

Correct. I should have been more clear.  What Jimmy put out ‘back in the day’ is truly ‘beyond duplication’ but Eddie is making his own mark as well w/ 2002, Masters Keep. 2019 will see the return of single barrel, barrel proof, cask strength WT when Russsells will be available at cask strength. 

Eddie is maintaining what jimmy built and adding to it. 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

2019 will see the return of single barrel, barrel proof, cask strength WT when Russsells will be available at cask strength. 

Eddie is maintaining what jimmy built and adding to it. 

I wish they could convince Campari to let them lower the entry proof back where it used to be.  Then they might be able to supplant Buffalo Trace and Four Roses at the top of the distiller food chain again

Here's another thread that I posted from a podcast interview with Eddie where he went into detail on all the ages of everything.  I remember being surprised that their stuff was aged for so long when I heard it.

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

I wish they could convince Campari to let them lower the entry proof back where it used to be.  Then they might be able to supplant Buffalo Trace and Four Roses at the top of the distiller food chain again

WT is already the top of the bourbon food chain for many including myself, I'm not sure they could surpass BT among the masses there is too much hype over too many of their products. For my tastes BT is probably a distant 5th among the big distillers as my preferences are WT, HH, Beam, Four Roses and then BT but I'm sure I'm very much in the minority. 

17 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

WT is already the top of the bourbon food chain for many including myself, I'm not sure they could surpass BT among the masses there is too much hype over too many of their products. For my tastes BT is probably a distant 5th among the big distillers as my preferences are WT, HH, Beam, Four Roses and then BT but I'm sure I'm very much in the minority. 

Not that it matters to us, but Four Roses or BT have been winning the 'best distiller' awards for awhile.  Again we all know that it doesn't mean anything.  I'm as big a turkey fan as anyone on this site, but even I freely acknowledge they haven't produced anything that can hang with GTS, WLW, or the 4R LE's from the late Rutledge era.

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Not that it matters to us, but Four Roses or BT have been winning the 'best distiller' awards for awhile.  Again we all know that it doesn't mean anything.  I'm as big a turkey fan as anyone on this site, but even I freely acknowledge they haven't produced anything that can hang with GTS, WLW, or the 4R LE's from the late Rutledge era.

I've never spent enough time with WLW to have a firm opinion but there are numerous RR SiB in my liquor cabinet that I prefer to GTS, which is not to say that it isn't a fantastic bourbon, it very much is but for me WT scratches an itch the others do not.  

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

there are numerous RR SiB in my liquor cabinet that I prefer to GTS,

That's a strong statement and I tip my hat.  I love RR SiB but the only turkey I can say hangs with GTS are the really special stuff like the 2002 I tasted a week or so ago at a bar.  And whereas GTS, WLW, and THH are produced reliably every year, the very best Turkey is more spotty and not something I can rely on unfortunately.  It's easier to score a BTAC than to buy a RR2002.

I truly love the old 12 year WT but that only reinforces my original thought that I hope WT regains its former glory fully

Edited by Kepler

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Are you talking in terms of taste or in terms of sales?

16 minutes ago, Jackinbox said:

Are you talking in terms of taste or in terms of sales?

if you know me then you know I'm not talking about sales.  I'm referring to accolades because BT and 4R have been stealing most of the glory recently and unfortunately Wild Turkey seems to have taken a bit of a back seat in comparison to where they were, say 20 years ago in their heyday.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I truly love the old 12 year WT but that only reinforces my original thought that I hope WT regains its former glory fully

When you consider how deep the hole was that 4R dug themselves out of, there is always cause to hope that, like the South, WT shall rise again. Besides, WT does not have anywhere near as far to go as 4R did before Rutledge. 4R went from horrid to great. WT just has to go from great to even greater still. 

• I like it 2

WT keeps the shelves stocked with great products at reasonable prices.  The only WT item I would like to buy, but can not find is the 101 Rye.

BT and 4R have some really nice products, and win some awards.

But seriously, good luck finding any of that stuff.  If you do find it $$$!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

The only WT item I would like to buy, but can not find is the 101 Rye.

If you ever make it to the Baltimore/Washington area hit me up. We get WTR101 fairly regularly. If it’s not here when you’re here you can have one of mine. I’ll just replace it when I see it. 

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

If you ever make it to the Baltimore/Washington area hit me up. We get WTR101 fairly regularly. If it’s not here when you’re here you can have one of mine. I’ll just replace it when I see it. 

Same for western PA, we get it regularly.

• I like it 1

On 9/29/2018 at 1:57 PM, Kepler said:

That wasn't Campari, that was Jimmy. Or Eddie, I forget which. The problem was that they had some warehouses where the barrels lost proof rather than gaining, and they had trouble for their 81 proof bottlings. The solution was barreling at 115 instead of 110, apparently. 

10 hours ago, Flyfish said:

When you consider how deep the hole was that 4R dug themselves out of, there is always cause to hope that, like the South, WT shall rise again. Besides, WT does not have anywhere near as far to go as 4R did before Rutledge. 4R went from horrid to great. WT just has to go from great to even greater still. 

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

WT keeps the shelves stocked with great products at reasonable prices.  The only WT item I would like to buy, but can not find is the 101 Rye.

BT and 4R have some really nice products, and win some awards.

But seriously, good luck finding any of that stuff.  If you do find it $$$!

Both make good points

1 hour ago, shoshani said:

That wasn't Campari, that was Jimmy. Or Eddie, I forget which. The problem was that they had some warehouses where the barrels lost proof rather than gaining, and they had trouble for their 81 proof bottlings. The solution was barreling at 115 instead of 110, apparently. 

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing. I assume that Campari would have to approve it if they ever wanted to go back (because it would result in decreased profits) but from you are saying the Russells wouldn't want to do that anyway.

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing. I assume that Campari would have to approve it if they ever wanted to go back (because it would result in decreased profits) but from you are saying the Russells wouldn't want to do that anyway.

I'm not sure about that. Let's dig a little deeper.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I live in the area and all I see is the lower proof rye, (not that I've gone in an exhaustive search), but where are you finding the WTR101? 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm not sure about that. Let's dig a little deeper.

Eddie has said that Rare Breed was taking so many higher proof barrels they didn’t have enough to batch 101. Add in Russells at 110 and that accounts for a lot of 110 plus stock. 

He has said regarding the 80s 8/101 that average proof on a 1,300 barrel dump was 104 or 105.  101 was very close to cask strength, one of the reasons I think that it shines. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.