WT101 and RR10yr batch sizes

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/1/2018 at 11:20 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I live in the area and all I see is the lower proof rye, (not that I've gone in an exhaustive search), but where are you finding the WTR101? 

Thanks!

I’ve seen it in several stores. No rhyme or reason. Next time I see it I’ll pm you. 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I’ve seen it in several stores. No rhyme or reason. Next time I see it I’ll pm you. 

Thanks!  

On 10/2/2018 at 2:27 PM, Charlutz said:

Virginia hasn't had it for quite a while as far as I know. What part of Maryland are you seeing it in?

As to the primary discussion in this thread, I think Wild Turkey can compete very favorably against the regular lineups of the other distilleries. This is especially true when you factor in availability. At least here, you have no problem finding Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit, RR 10, or RR SiB any time you like. Essentially all of the non-bottom shelf "regular" BT products, save Eagle Rare 10, have spotty availability. Heaven Hill's BP product (EC BP) is difficult to find (without a big mark up). Four Roses only has three regular products, which do not include a BP expression. Beam's products are available and more varied, but different such that it's a matter of personal taste.

I myself have really come around on WT. It took a while to get over negative impressions created by drinking WT81 when I was younger, but they do some great stuff. I have not taken the plunge on any Master's Keep releases and missed out on RR2002, so I will admit my opinion does not apply to the LE/special releases. I think BT is hard to beat in that area, but maybe I'll be surprised one day when I do try a MK or special RR release.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Virginia hasn't had it for quite a while as far as I know. What part of Maryland are you seeing it in?

Baltimore and suburbs. 

On 9/30/2018 at 1:51 AM, Kepler said:

if you know me then you know I'm not talking about sales.  I'm referring to accolades because BT and 4R have been stealing most of the glory recently and unfortunately Wild Turkey seems to have taken a bit of a back seat in comparison to where they were, say 20 years ago in their heyday.

OK, I got you.  I wasn't into bourbon until 2013, so I unfortunately missed out on their heyday.  Even by today's standards, I think WT is right up there.  Much of the accolades regarding BT revolve around their wheated expressions, which obviously WT has none.  WT also doesn't have anything that compares with the BTAC in the sense that their Master's Keep series is something completely different every year.  I do think the RR SiB compares favorably with Blanton's and is superior to ETL and RHF.  I think WT101 is a step above the standard BTER10 vs RR10 really comes down to a profile preference.  I like both about equally.  

I'm not a huge fan of Four Roses (although I am admittedly in the minority).  Their yearly LE bottlings are superb but the standard shelf products just aren't my cup of tea.  I've bought a few store picks over the years as well, but was somewhat underwhelmed.  However, I agree that overall FR probably gets more accolades from the serious enthusiasts than WT.  

1 hour ago, Jackinbox said:

ER10 vs RR10 really comes down to a profile preference

Years ago ER10 turned me from a bourbon drinker to a bourbon enthusiast, but I find RR10 more consistent, and prefer it ER10 now.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this today at a store that always has a coupon for 10% off non-sale items. I’ll pm  skinsfan. Anyone else who can’t tell which store I’m talking about and wants a pm, let me know. 

561A2829-67AB-4EF0-A1CF-3E408CB4E382.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.