What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

16 hours ago, Adam777 said:

I went to an event at Tippins Market in Ann Arbor and got to meet Al Young. I bought one of their 5 store picks and decided on the OESO 13 years 5 months which Al Young signed. My dad and I were in a raffle to get the 130th anniversary but fell short, however our name was picked for some other goodies. I got to try the Al Young 50th which was fantastic and the 130th. Both were awesome but that finish on the Al Young kept going and going! What a blast!

AC6F920C-0166-4B27-9A81-07E30E1BC948.jpeg

This is awesome!  What's the deal with the barrell?  Did you win that?  Very cool!

• I like it 1

On 10/2/2018 at 10:31 PM, Clueby said:

Picked up a 2018 1792 High Rye today so opened a 2016 bottle from the bunker. Pretty sweet for high rye. The rye doesn't kick in until the very end.

20181002_222602-2016x980.jpg

Revisited the High Rye again last night and agree that the nose is very sweet and pleasant.  Did not get much of a kick or spice.  Overall it is fine for the cost $35 and certainly drinkable.  But when I moved on to EHSiB for my next pour the 1792 was just overshadowed in every category.  On the fence whether I would buy the 1792 High Rye again.  

39 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

This is awesome!  What's the deal with the barrell?  Did you win that?  Very cool!

Yeah I won that and the bar mat. The tasting guy gave my dad and I the Four Roses books too. Man the 4Roses cult is real!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Revisited the High Rye again last night and agree that the nose is very sweet and pleasant.  Did not get much of a kick or spice.  Overall it is fine for the cost $35 and certainly drinkable.  But when I moved on to EHSiB for my next pour the 1792 was just overshadowed in every category.  On the fence whether I would buy the 1792 High Rye again.  

I didn't get a ton of kick or spice either, but what is there only really shows up in the end.  I think I paid $32 and yes it is very drinkable.  The one I opened was the 2016 botte actually and not the new 18 version.

What is EHSiB that overshadowed it?

Picked up some WT101 today - two 10-packs of 50mL bottles for $8.99 each, so 20 minis, or 1L, for $18 plus tax, $19.46 OTD.  Compared to the fifth they had priced at $22.99 (didn't look to see the Liter price).  The owner looked at me like I was up to no good buying that many minis, but I looked at him like I'll continue to do so until he corrects this pricing anomaly!

• I like it 6

Picked up some WT101 today - two 10-packs of 50mL bottles for $8.99 each, so 20 minis, or 1L, for $18 plus tax, $19.46 OTD.  Compared to the fifth they had priced at $22.99 (didn't look to see the Liter price).  The owner looked at me like I was up to no good buying that many minis, but I looked at him like I'll continue to do so until he corrects this pricing anomaly!

It’s usually not a retailer pricing anomaly, but a distillery/distributor pricing discount on certain overstock sizes that they are trying to push to get stock levels back in line with current normal expected demand. I’ve bought smaller bottles several times that were less per ml than larger bottles, and that was the explanation I was given if I asked why there was a price incentive to buy the smaller bottle.

While in Delaware today, picked up a HW Midwinter Nights Dram 5.2, a RHF and a baby Saz.   Missed the all the ETL bye a day apparently.... Found Old Fitz 11yr for 199.00 if anyone needs to be gouged in the Dover area.... 

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

Texans...  :D

B42AC4CF-5446-4C73-9062-C2F43EA5BC16.jpeg

8 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Son! 13 year OESO?  Rock on man. 

• I like it 2

Second bottle from this barrel. I am not a Beam fan but this one is very nice. 9yrs 9mos. 

4EE27C5B-2DAA-4698-B0AF-114F13E7E882.jpeg

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Second bottle from this barrel. I am not a Beam fan but this one is very nice. 9yrs 9mos. 

4EE27C5B-2DAA-4698-B0AF-114F13E7E882.jpeg

I wish I could get my hands on a store pick around here...I love KC SiB, just like Forrest Gump said, "you never know what you're gonna get!"

17 hours ago, dcbt said:

Saw some $5 off  mail in coupons for WT101 if anyone needs a few.

It might be LE Season but I bought three bottles for $20 a pop today, bunkering up OE7 and figured for $20 what the hell on the (ri)1 

y4mPxboLApDc3oBSjZ1G_bz3blMsLtgqs7A1Y5YV

• I like it 1

On 10/8/2018 at 12:33 AM, kevinbrink said:

It might be LE Season but I bought three bottles for $20 a pop today, bunkering up OE7 and figured for $20 what the hell on the (ri)1 

y4mPxboLApDc3oBSjZ1G_bz3blMsLtgqs7A1Y5YV

OE7 in Jersey? - i've only found in PA when they were clearing them out.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, Clueby said:

I didn't get a ton of kick or spice either, but what is there only really shows up in the end.  I think I paid $32 and yes it is very drinkable.  The one I opened was the 2016 botte actually and not the new 18 version.

What is EHSiB that overshadowed it?

EH Taylor Single Barrel. One of my current favorites. 

Got lucky at a Costco and stumbled upon a 130th.  These hit stores in my area roughly 2 weeks ago and I struck out at all my normal spots.  I asked the Costco employee if they received a new shipment.  He told me they receive one shipment, but don't put the bottles out all at once.  This is awesome b/c it gives others a random opportunity to score a prized bottle.  They also had an Old Fitz BIB, but they would allow you to only buy one or the other.  I thought that was fair.  Anyways, a good bourbon day indeed!

8 hours ago, ckanders said:

OE7 in Jersey? - i've only found in PA when they were clearing them out.

Nope I buy it in NY I'm only a few miles outside of NYC and I work there, I picked these up while I was visiting my brother who lives in Brooklyn. 

Six months ago I was asked to participate in an  annual fundraiser called Dancing With The Statesboro Stars which benefits a local domestic abuse shelter. Despite having two left feet, I gladly accepted because it’s such a great cause. This last weekend was the big show and we raised over $175,000. My wife surprised me with a W12 and Master’s Keep for stepping so far out of my comfort zone. Win, win. 

F60CEF25-63F5-42AF-968E-E1887F2BDD38.jpeg

3C21AB69-DD39-44FB-931C-DC3DB38A9461.jpeg

image.jpg

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, Statesboro Blues said:

Six months ago I was asked to participate in an  annual fundraiser called Dancing With The Statesboro Stars which benefits a local domestic abuse shelter. Despite having two left feet, I gladly accepted because it’s such a great cause. This last weekend was the big show and we raised over $175,000. My wife surprised me with a W12 and Master’s Keep for stepping so far out of my comfort zone. Win, win. 

F60CEF25-63F5-42AF-968E-E1887F2BDD38.jpeg

3C21AB69-DD39-44FB-931C-DC3DB38A9461.jpeg

image.jpg

How about a pic of the taxidermy on the wall behind the WTMK?  Looks like a woodduck and redhead are part of the display at least...

Today officially kicked off LE season for me. Got lucky and scored a bottle of GTS along with his sidekick OWA. I had to make the tough choice between the GTS and a WLW and went with the Stagg. While the WLW would have been the first bottle I have gotten in 5 years, the fact I could get a younger, cheaper version instead helped make the decision a little easier. And before everyone asks, no it was not up here in the Northeast. Best of luck hunting everyone.

Today officially kicked off LE season for me. Got lucky and scored a bottle of GTS along with his sidekick OWA. I had to make the tough choice between the GTS and a WLW and went with the Stagg. While the WLW would have been the first bottle I have gotten in 5 years, the fact I could get a younger, cheaper version instead helped make the decision a little easier. And before everyone asks, no it was not up here in the Northeast. Best of luck hunting everyone.

New 2018 bottlings, either way very nice.

Tough decision.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.