What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I wish I could give you hope. I've had one good bottle of Larceny. The other three have been nasty.

I thought it was just me. I bought a bottle soon after joining SB. Larceny got a lot of love on the board — cheap, wheated, good alternative to weller. It wasn’t available in Maryland then, but a friend grabbed me a bottle in VA. I was very disappointed. I haven’t bought a bottle since. Then again, I seem to not like the HH wheated bourbons as RY10 didn’t do anything for me. They certainly don’t taste like weller to me. I likely won’t try Old Fitz unless a friend has an open bottle. I do appreciate that many people enjoy them and I’m happy for those of you who do as they are reasonably priced for the age and proof. 

Grabbed a Wegman’s EC Barrel select for 28 bucks. Excellent bourbon. God Bless is, everyone. 

Curious what state are you in? I worked for Wegman’s as a kid back in NY and it’s strange to hear this as you can’t even buy wine at grocery stores in NY. They actually recently fined in NY for managing liquor stores.

A generous SBr helped me secure a bottle of PHC12. It was special to me as I got PHC11 on the day my dad died and I want to try and keep that going every year.  Although dad was amazed at how much bourbon cost. He was a Seagrams V.O. kinda guy.

20181203_102524-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 11

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Curious what state are you in? I worked for Wegman’s as a kid back in NY and it’s strange to hear this as you can’t even buy wine at grocery stores in NY. They actually recently fined in NY for managing liquor stores.

I live in Massachusetts. The Wegman's here have wine, beer, and spirit super stores. The prices are usually right at MSRP and they have a good selection of popular stuff.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

A generous SBr helped me secure a bottle of PHC12. It was special to me as I got PHC11 on the day my dad died and I want to try and keep that going every year.  Although dad was amazed at how much bourbon cost. He was a Seagrams V.O. kinda guy.

I am glad that worked out for you.

I had a nice day out today, the bourbon gods have been good to me. My local hony hole hooked me up with the ORVW. The ETL was pure random. I stopped a a local place I occationally visit, couldn't believe there were 2 ETL and no limit per customer grabbed them both of course. All at MRSP as it should be.

2018.jpg.e88ac8467e9c6895e923e6d61a105aad.jpg2018.2.jpg.bc293e8c4f00105618a1e5a8af643a5f.jpg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Dango said:

I had a nice day out today, the bourbon gods have been good to me. My local hony hole hooked me up with the ORVW. The ETL was pure random. I stopped a a local place I occationally visit, couldn't believe there were 2 ETL and no limit per customer grabbed them both of course. All at MRSP as it should be.

2018.jpg.e88ac8467e9c6895e923e6d61a105aad.jpg2018.2.jpg.bc293e8c4f00105618a1e5a8af643a5f.jpg

That’s a very good haul. 

2 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

That’s a very good haul. 

Indeed it is. I had a good shot at the ORVW, as I have a relationship with the LS owners. The ETL was quite a surprise.

• I like it 1

Picked up a couple EC SmB PS from an LS that usually does a great job of picking some barrels.

Was really excited since they were 10 year olds. First pour was a little underwhelming (maybe I was expecting too much). Second pour the next day was better, but still came away tasting thin like the first pour. 

I’m sure I’d thoroughly be depressed if I tried it SBS to the 12yo I have, but not apples to apples in all fairness.

F8B1A636-42AA-409D-AAB5-F1D6CBDE84DD.jpeg

7 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

I am glad that worked out for you.

Thanks. Me too. This place and its members are awesome!

Interested in the 35 year Wiser. I’m not a big Canadian fan but I feel like it would age well up in the great white north.

Redbreast cask strength is great whiskey.
I agree, redbreast rarely disappoints! I think it might be better than writers tears.

Have you or anyone had little book before? It's the first time I've seen it in these neck of the woods, so I had to get it to at least try it once. The blend sounds interesting.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Anytime you need help finding one moving forward, please let me know. Happy to help!

• I like it 1

From what I understand JP Wisers is aged in used cooperage, which is one of the reasons it can age for so long. I had the 18 year and it reminded me of some older rums (which are often aged in used bourbon casks). Heavy on vanilla, almost like drinking vanilla extract mixed with maple syrup. I hope the 35 year has had enough time to get some dry oak in there to balance out the sugary sweetness.

From a review
"This is largely double distilled corn whisky - distilled to a high abv, with a relatively light flavor - which would be an example of a "base" whisky used for blending - except that this is aged for a long time in a reused cask."

"If you've had Wiser's 18, it has many of those characteristics, except - it is much older, richer, and contains about 10% column and pot distilled rye (matured in virgin oak casks) to give it incredible character."

Hmm the rye aged in fresh charred oak is interesting, as is it being bottled at 100 proof vs 80 or the 18. Hopefully this helps to elevate it above the 18.

[mention=13761]reeko[/mention] I'll be very curious to hear what you think about it when you crack it open.
In your opinion was the 18 year worth the money?

I've never had the 15 or 18 year wisers before so I'm not sure what to expect, but from what I've been reading it sounds like reviewers rate it higher than the 18.

So would the pot distilled rye also be at least 35 years old? It can't be younger if it's in there right.

11 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I thought it was just me. I bought a bottle soon after joining SB. Larceny got a lot of love on the board — cheap, wheated, good alternative to weller. It wasn’t available in Maryland then, but a friend grabbed me a bottle in VA. I was very disappointed. I haven’t bought a bottle since. Then again, I seem to not like the HH wheated bourbons as RY10 didn’t do anything for me. They certainly don’t taste like weller to me. I likely won’t try Old Fitz unless a friend has an open bottle. I do appreciate that many people enjoy them and I’m happy for those of you who do as they are reasonably priced for the age and proof. 

I still believe you got a bad barrel. I have many RY10's that are absolutely wonderful. There have also been a couple that weren't very good which became mixers for me. I've also liked both of the Old Fitz's I've tried. 

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

One for sipping and one for the eggnog.

fullsizeoutput_dcf.jpeg

Smart man.  I was using OGDBiB for my eggnog.  Good pairing.

• I like it 1

On 12/3/2018 at 11:35 AM, Charlutz said:

Well, at least I'm not out much...

Bought one a few years ago when they had a rebate neck tag on them for I want to say $10 and I still  haven't opened it... 

On 12/3/2018 at 2:30 PM, graftonbc1 said:

I live in Massachusetts. The Wegman's here have wine, beer, and spirit super stores. The prices are usually right at MSRP and they have a good selection of popular stuff.

At the Wegman's in Virginia we can buy beer and wine but for liquor we only have our beloved ABC as an option.  Unless you're close to another state. ;)

It’s late enough in the year I thought I missed out. Had a really good conversation with the owner and he produced a ORVW. It had a markup but I didn’t come close to being raped. Funny how I have regular stores that gave me very few “goodies” this year and a new guy gives me my best bottle. Guess which store just become my go to for the next year!

61112E29-342E-482F-AAA1-98D4E7739BDB.jpeg

• I like it 5

It’s late enough in the year I thought I missed out. Had a really good conversation with the owner and he produced a ORVW. It had a markup but I didn’t come close to being raped. Funny how I have regular stores that gave me very few “goodies” this year and a new guy gives me my best bottle. Guess which store just become my go to for the next year!
61112E29-342E-482F-AAA1-98D4E7739BDB.thumb.jpeg.8fa5e24c538ffd7c73ab7e74db7d8c7d.jpeg

Congrats! The VW and Pappy bottles haven’t landed in stores in our area yet...supposed to happen by the end of the week though.

No “Pappiez”, just plain old WT101. I’d said before I love the variety but if this was all I could get I’d die a happy man.

Salut!

IMG_5795.JPG

• I like it 4

15 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

No “Pappiez”, just plain old WT101. I’d said before I love the variety but if this was all I could get I’d die a happy man.

Salut!

IMG_5795.JPG

I am really liking the most recent bottle of WT101 I got.  I ended up buying a back up.

• I like it 3

I am really liking the most recent bottle of WT101 I got.  I ended up buying a back up.

I feel this is the new norm. I actually enjoy this over any WT101 over the past 20 years that I’ve had.

People paying crazy prices for stuff like WSR when this is available makes no sense.
  • I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.