What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, graftonbc1 said:

Enjoy!

I just traded two bottles of wine for two OWA barrel picks. I'm happy!!

• I like it 1

Well........................... at least I made it 11 days into the new year before caving in. :unsure:

I had a doctors appointment early this morning that went much quicker than I expected. So with extra time on my hands, what was I to do? Of course I decided to make the rounds and visit a few liquor stores just to take a look see. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

A while back I bought a ps BT that I really liked. I went back to that store today and they still had some left, but only in the family size. I have a few bottles of BT, (two open as seen in the pic below) and didn't really need a handle. This was a pretty darned good store pick, so one came home with me. I also bought the EW BIB there. I have a friend/co-worker that is getting a little more into bourbon, and I picked this bottle up for him. At another store I actually managed to pick up a OWA:o Can you say Joe's 2018 Weller Blend Batch #5?  Happy New Year to me! :D

Biba! Joe

111.jpeg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well........................... at least I made it 11 days into the new year before caving in. :unsure:

I had a doctors appointment early this morning that went much quicker than I expected. So with extra time on my hands, what was I to do? Of course I decided to make the rounds and visit a few liquor stores just to take a look see. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

A while back I bought a ps BT that I really liked. I went back to that store today and they still had some left, but only in the family size. I have a few bottles of BT, (two open as seen in the pic below) and didn't really need a handle. This was a pretty darned good store pick, so one came home with me. I also bought the EW BIB there. I have a friend/co-worker that is getting a little more into bourbon, and I picked this bottle up for him. At another store I actually managed to pick up a OWA:o Can you say Joe's 2018 Weller Blend Batch #5?  Happy New Year to me! :D

Biba! Joe

Well, Joe, you gave it that good old college try, didn't ya'?    Hey I'd say you made it about as far as most of us... Hee-Heeee!    And, that 'bottle-for-a-friend' gag still works well, eh? ;)

• I like it 2

Wandering a local store earlier this week and grabbed a 10 1/2 yr OBSQ pick that was pretty good when I opened it. 11 days into the year and I’m already up two bottles. This does not bode well for 2019.

16 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Wandering a local store earlier this week and grabbed a 10 1/2 yr OBSQ pick that was pretty good when I opened it. 11 days into the year and I’m already up two bottles. This does not bode well for 2019.

I think it's in the GBS bylaws that you must buy double digit aged OBSQ if it's available

• I like it 3

I think it's in the GBS bylaws that you must buy double digit aged OBSQ if it's available

Why? Because I immediately got texts from Jimmy and Joe asking “where!?!?” I presume.
  • I like it 1

I suppose this is a PS KC but bottled at 100 proof? The cashier at the LS didn’t know what it was. It’s AS at 9 yrs and $31 so it came home with me. 

1CC43BC6-3403-46FA-80C9-501B0166BFCD.jpeg

• I like it 1

Hit a local store that's running a clearance sale.  They had PS RRSiB at $40.  Cheapest that I've ever seen it so I grabbed a couple.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

111.jpeg

Joe, you better grab that OWA while you still see it at its current price. I have seen a few single barrel selections up here going for $45 and thought they were crazy and passed. Turns out, message from BT, $45 ballpark is the new MSRP for OWA. I'm going to get what I can find at current prices, but once they all go up to the new list, I'm out. I will drink what I have in the bunker. I love the Wheaters like the next person, but not at those prices I don't. I hope you have enough to last you a long time. Cheers!

Like Joe, I also 'caved' for the first time this new year.  Stumbled across the COK, and (even though I've said I wouldn't) bit down on the proverbial bullet. 

My rationale (I certainly needed some reason given the mental argument I was having with myself)?  Limited distribution and numbers...yeah that's how I talked myself into it! ;) 

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, Vosgar said:

This is correct.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Joe, you better grab that OWA while you still see it at its current price. I have seen a few single barrel selections up here going for $45 and thought they were crazy and passed. Turns out, message from BT, $45 ballpark is the new MSRP for OWA. I'm going to get what I can find at current prices, but once they all go up to the new list, I'm out. I will drink what I have in the bunker. I love the Wheaters like the next person, but not at those prices I don't. I hope you have enough to last you a long time. Cheers!

I know what you mean brother. Thankfully, I got pretty lucky today. I bought the OWA for $29.99. I have a feeling I probably won’t ever see a OWA priced this low again. I also have another feeling that the amazing lucky streak I’ve been on for the last year or so is sadly about to come to an end. 

Biba! Joe

55 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Like Joe, I also 'caved' for the first time this new year.  Stumbled across the COK, and (even though I've said I wouldn't) bit down on the proverbial bullet. 

My rationale (I certainly needed some reason given the mental argument I was having with myself)?  Limited distribution and numbers...yeah that's how I talked myself into it! ;) 

Sounds as good as any to me. 

Couldn’t believe today at my local Costco when I walked in to purchase the 1.75 of Larceny for $51, then I looked up and saw Eagle Rare for $25.25. Man, was I happy to see that!!! Enjoy!!!

• I like it 1

Picked up a few semi dusty bottles today. I just couldn’t pass up an age stated FC 1.75 for $30.

C4791F70-6668-49A2-A72D-30095424C953.jpeg

• I like it 8

22 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

WTRB 116. On sale for 38.99. Not sure there is much of a better value out there.

OGD114 might have something to say about that.

• I like it 2

OGD114 might have something to say about that.

Very true from a pure value perspective. Didn’t think of that one when posting.
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kozman said:

Couldn’t believe today at my local Costco when I walked in to purchase the 1.75 of Larceny for $51, then I looked up and saw Eagle Rare for $25.25. Man, was I happy to see that!!! Enjoy!!!

My wife and I skipped town and went for a long drive today. While out and about, I too found some ER. The good news: I found one store that had some for $29.99, (which is a really good price anywhere  around my neck of the woods) so I bought a couple, and left a couple on the shelf. The bad news: On our way home, for sh**s and giggles, we stopped at a liquor store that at one time was one of my favorites. Here's why it's a former favorite. They also had ER on the shelf. A no brainer pass @ $59.99 a bottle. It's pretty sad to see just how bad this store has gotten with their price gouging. At one time they were a pretty great store with fairly decent prices, and they treated their loyal customers fairly well. Not any more. :mellow:

Joe

er.jpeg

• I like it 4

Today was a very good day for a wheater fan like me.  A friend spotted a single OWA while in Oregon and grabbed it for me.  Then I received an email notifying me that I was drawn for an opportunity to purchase an Old Fitzgerald 9 Yr Bib!  The really good news was that the OWA was $26.95 and the Old Fitz is $89.95!  

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 1:57 AM, JoeTerp said:

I'll definitely let you know when I get around to it.  It may be a bit as the bar is full and there's a bit of a backlog to get promoted.  I did conduct a bit of a board search for your comments about the Cigar Blend and while not finding any notes about Batch 11 you seemed to indicate in a previous batch that the goal was to increase the batch size from around 500 to around 1,000.  I noticed that Batch 11 was marked as having 377 bottles.  Was there any specific reason for a smaller batch this time around?

Functional noise makers are always appreciated and I feel much better about sharing this with the kids than Nerds.

@WhiskeyBlender  well I did promise to get back to you. I didn’t open up my Batch 11 yet, but I did recently have a whiskey get together and one of the guests was kind enough to bring a bottle of the Cigar Blend Batch 2. I really enjoyed this and you are definitely doing some great work over there. There were lots of really good bottles there and when someone at the end of the night asked about my top 3 I had it as:

1. Abraham Bowman 12 year Port Finish

2.  George T Stagg 2018

3.  Joseph A Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 2

thats some great company there and a few of the ones that I enjoyed the cigar blend more than were SFTB and a 14 year Heaven Hill Port Finish ( among many others). 

Im really excited about trying the batch 11 and looking forward to future batches. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.