What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, Clueby said:

One of the guys at work brought me this today. Is this Willett distilled now or still sourced?  Doesn't say on the bottle that I can find.

20181211_151629-784x1613.jpg

That is sourced the inhouse stuff is in tall square bottles, both are listed on their website so I would imagine they are still bottling sourced stuff for the label:

old-bardstown-90.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

That is sourced the inhouse stuff is in tall square bottles, both are listed on their website so I would imagine they are still bottling sourced stuff for the label:

old-bardstown-90.jpg

Yeah, I knew the "regular" OB was their own distillate...just wasn't sure if they were using it in the "Estate" bottles or not as well.  I've had the 90 proof Willett-distilled OB and to date it is the worst bourbon I have ever tasted.

I picked up a couple of bottles of BT last night. Yeah, like I need more bourbon. <_< They were on sale for $21.59, and I just could’t pass ‘em up at that price. I’ll be in the same area this weekend for our regular weekend shopping. Who knows. I just might have to grab a couple more. :) Even though I have a pretty decent bunker, I have a hard time passing up something that I really like at a darned good price. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I picked up a couple of bottles of BT last night. Yeah, like I need more bourbon. <_< They were on sale for $21.59, and I just could’t pass ‘em up at that price. I’ll be in the same area this weekend for our regular weekend shopping. Who knows. I just might have to grab a couple more. :) Even though I have a pretty decent bunker, I have a hard time passing up something that I really like at a darned good price. 

Biba! Joe

If I saw it here at $22, I wouldn't pass then by, either.

Last Friday, I did pick up a few store picks (KC Rye, an MM stave finish I like, and the latest 10yr WP which I also tasted and liked).  Today with no effort on my part, I stumbled on a 2018 GTS at only slightly above MSRP.  Yes, I'm bragging.  Since it is in a taller, thinner bottle than the store picks, I have JUST the right of space on a shelf for it.  New Years will be opening time, and this is the first real LE I've purchased since 2015.  I figured it was about time.  

• I like it 4

Nothing special, just 3 1.75's of Weller SR. It makes a damn fine Manhattan. This store was flush with it - multiple cases. Wondering if I should have gotten a case? Sadly, no 12 or Antique.

33 minutes ago, mattbta said:

Wondering if I should have gotten a case? Sadly, no 12 or Antique.

No you shouldn't

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Yeah, I knew the "regular" OB was their own distillate...just wasn't sure if they were using it in the "Estate" bottles or not as well.  I've had the 90 proof Willett-distilled OB and to date it is the worst bourbon I have ever tasted.

It says it by kind of saying it or not saying it or by obfuscating, unlike the others it says distilled in KY and bottled by Willett, not to mention "Estate Bottled" while the others state distilled and bottled by.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mattbta said:

Nothing special, just 3 1.75's of Weller SR. It makes a damn fine Manhattan. This store was flush with it - multiple cases. Wondering if I should have gotten a case? Sadly, no 12 or Antique.

42 minutes ago, Kepler said:

No you shouldn't

If the price was right, I sure as heck would have.  :P “The great and powerful Weller Whore has spoken!”  :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mattbta said:

I haven't had WSR in about a year but I seem to recall my last bottle being significantly better than those from recent years.

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Old Ezra BP finally hit Kansas City.  Naturally, I grabbed one...

That's darn good stuff IMO.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Old Ezra BP finally hit Kansas City.  Naturally, I grabbed one...

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

That's darn good stuff IMO.

One to me that’s really living up to it’s high praise it’s gotten. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, mattbta said:

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

No you shouldn't

Sorry, let me clarify.  It's a pretty good value pour, so drink away. But since you live in Frisco Texas, there's no need to hoard it by the case because you can always find WSR in Texas.  Enjoy

• I like it 1

Just traded a Pappy 15 I bought 10 years ago for MSRP for (3) Weller 12 1.75L and (1) Weller 12 750ml.  I like the Weller 12 better and I had none so I was happy with it.  Technically not a purchase but.....

BTW, I'm no here.  Hello all from TX.

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

Let me know what you think of the Estate.  I have a bottle and I'm amazed how good it is.

4 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Let me know what you think of the Estate.  I have a bottle and I'm amazed how good it is.

I opened it last night.  I'm definitely not amazed but its decent enough.  Has a hot finish for 101pf.  It is very Heaven Hill -like (which it probably is if sourced).  Felt a bit thinner than I'd have liked.  Has some peanut and some spicy oak.  A little bit of sweet brown and sugar and vanilla and then...straight up alcohol heat on the fade out.  I would most likely not purchase a bottle based on this one.

Picked up a Weller 12, FR SmBLE and HWMND. Annnnd I'm done for awhile. I might get divorced if I come home with another bottle. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Just traded a Pappy 15 I bought 10 years ago for MSRP for (3) Weller 12 1.75L and (1) Weller 12 750ml.  I like the Weller 12 better and I had none so I was happy with it.  Technically not a purchase but.....

BTW, I'm no here.  Hello all from TX.

All things being equal.. u came out fine since you like the 12 better. Wouldve been hard for me to let that 15 go..i guess ten years is long enough to think about it though.

Burning chair. Never heard of it till I was talking to a fellow bourbon aficionado. Saw it and decided to give it a go. Has anyone else had it? Did a quick site search and only saw it mentioned once. Increasingly it was in post about second glance or double take? Which the BC was right next to in the store. 20181212_180859.jpeg

One of my regular stores that I have been seriously building a stronger relationship with over the last three years came through big for me a couple of days ago...and at the regular retail price. When things like this happen, it does make it easier to pass on other premium priced opportunities.
IMG_0039.jpg

• I like it 10

23 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

One of my regular stores that I have been seriously building a stronger relationship with over the last three years came through big for me a couple of days ago...and at the regular retail price. When things like this happen, it does make it easier to pass on other premium priced opportunities.
IMG_0039.jpg

What a great way to end the year. Congrats!

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, mross said:

Burning chair. Never heard of it till I was talking to a fellow bourbon aficionado. Saw it and decided to give it a go. Has anyone else had it? Did a quick site search and only saw it mentioned once. Increasingly it was in post about second glance or double take? Which the BC was right next to in the store. 

I've tried it.  It's good.  I believe it's MGP sourced bourbon, but I don't remember much from that evening.  ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.