What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought a couple bottles i don’t plan on immediately drinking. One is a 2009 EWSiB to go along with the other years. Eventually i’ll Open them all at once to do a tasting. The other is the MM Justify commemorative bottle. 

95EDFBB8-034D-4CA6-A8CC-0749F6F16BAA.jpeg

Edited by JSpartan
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Bought a couple bottles i don’t plan on immediately drinking. One is a 2009 EWSiB to go along with the other years. Eventually i’ll Open them all at once to do a tasting. The other is the MM Justify commemorative bottle. 

95EDFBB8-034D-4CA6-A8CC-0749F6F16BAA.jpeg

Big fan of saving and opening several bottles at once for tastings.

Picked these up today. Never heard of the Ambassador, but 12 year MGP juice does interest me. Laphroaig is “limited” but bottled on my birthday so why not?

70CE2EF0-9496-4D7C-A222-B51027F30FA8.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Picked these up today. Never heard of the Ambassador, but 12 year MGP juice does interest me. Laphroaig is “limited” but bottled on my birthday so why not?

oh those Lafroaig CS kick ass. its limited as they put them out in batches. enjoy, just dont try to follow it up with something else!

Found this one on a business trip. Snagged it for my brother, as I was lucky enough to already bump into one this year. Now to just get it home safely....

IMG_2817.thumb.jpg.51acfcf8243f5810e450eda247527d0f.jpg

• I like it 6

47 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Found this one on a business trip. Snagged it for my brother, as I was lucky enough to already bump into one this year. Now to just get it home safely....

IMG_2817.thumb.jpg.51acfcf8243f5810e450eda247527d0f.jpg

And full?!?   ☺️

Nice that a lot of people are finding/getting GTS this year.  I've stumbled on to another after getting one earlier this season.  It's just super, IMHO.  Happy holidays to all y'all.

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

If I could only drink one whisky for the rest of my life it might be Laphroaig CS, fortunately I would still have my pick of all of the Whiskey!

30 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

And full?!?   ☺️

Nice that a lot of people are finding/getting GTS this year.  I've stumbled on to another after getting one earlier this season.  It's just super, IMHO.  Happy holidays to all y'all.

You guys are killing me!! Are you finding these at retail..or at least minimal markup? It boggles my mind to be able to "bump into" one of these in the wild.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You guys are killing me!! Are you finding these at retail..or at least minimal markup? It boggles my mind to be able to "bump into" one of these in the wild.

Tell me about it. If you’re paying $200 plus I get it. 

40 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Looks like from reviews, one of better batches also. 

I said that I was done adding bottles to my "FULL" vault, somehow I need to find a way to twist the Laws of Physics and squeeze these in there...not sure if I am more excited about finding some Blanton's or the Weller Box.

Blantons.thumb.jpg.6a721d22de8864799aa7bb51f0efc948.jpg

• I like it 2

I got a George T. Stagg today. I'm stunned. We don't get much of the allocated stuff around here. There is one store that I have a love/hate relationship with that does get some higher end/allocated whiskey. I went by on a whim and was looking at the case and was shocked to see the Stagg in there. This place is notorious for high prices and I usually avoid the stuff way above MSRP. They had 1 WLW for $500 a few weeks ago. The Staggwas listed at $104.99. I thought for sure it was mismarked. Hell, there were many bottles in the case with prices higher than the Stagg. The guy got it outta the case for me and I just knew it was going to ring up for more than posted...and it did not. I couldn't get out of there fast enough! Merry Christmas to me.

• I like it 12

49 minutes ago, FlounderinDC said:

I got a George T. Stagg today. I'm stunned. We don't get much of the allocated stuff around here. There is one store that I have a love/hate relationship with that does get some higher end/allocated whiskey. I went by on a whim and was looking at the case and was shocked to see the Stagg in there. This place is notorious for high prices and I usually avoid the stuff way above MSRP. They had 1 WLW for $500 a few weeks ago. The Staggwas listed at $104.99. I thought for sure it was mismarked. Hell, there were many bottles in the case with prices higher than the Stagg. The guy got it outta the case for me and I just knew it was going to ring up for more than posted...and it did not. I couldn't get out of there fast enough! Merry Christmas to me.

Awesome when it works out like that. Congrats!

Went by the local LS for a "swap". Got something I really didn't want as a present and the LS was willing to let me get another bottle of comp value.

And Phil was there as brand supporter for Bob Dylan's Heavens Door. Phil's on the left on ole FP to the right. Two tables set up by local distributor to showcase a few newer bourbons and wine. My buddy Ian Edwards was hosting the second table with Jos Magnus served. 

After LE fever has passed (for most of us) the package store is now getting swamped with the barrel picks. No rest for the credit card. The 14yr KCSB pictured, Blantons SP, OWA107 SP, 1792 BP SP, and a few others-either in the store now or coming soon. Whew!

IMG_1156.thumb.jpg.92a0ccdc5419e670deacaa930f12e83f.jpg

IMG_1158.thumb.JPG.541b0696da9252048c554104f9ffea85.JPG

• I like it 4

Went to my local to get a Rittenhouse BIB for party supplies, and also snagged the last one of these on the shelf.

IMG_0385.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked up a Woodford DO PS for a buddy at my favorite store. They are running a Holiday promotion by hiding a number of allotted unicorns around their store at MSRP this week.

I took a look around not expecting to find anything, but low and behold, I stumbled upon a RHF!

B0941C53-5DAD-495C-9D1B-EEE4CCA2ACB5.jpeg

AFFEB533-9D87-4873-BD2B-492688A86CC7.jpeg

6F54A088-5595-4893-AF72-1D4FCEB99469.jpeg

• I like it 5

I scored my first Thomas Handy. Unfortunately I overpaid at $199.00. He offered me GTS and Handy at $199 or ORVW or P12 at $300. What would you choose?! 22229716-E648-4562-BDA1-C589FF10C330.thumb.jpeg.598359975d92c89b7fca74d4d2174879.jpegI chose the Handy. Last year he sold me a GTS for $99.99 so I guess it evens out a tad. My other justification was my recent lottery winnings all at retail. My wife told me that’s my Christmas gift. I’ll go with it.

• I like it 6

1 minute ago, Adam777 said:

I scored my first Thomas Handy. Unfortunately I overpaid at $199.00. He offered me GTS and Handy at $199 or ORVW or P12 at $300. What would you choose?! 22229716-E648-4562-BDA1-C589FF10C330.thumb.jpeg.598359975d92c89b7fca74d4d2174879.jpegI chose the Handy. Last year he sold me a GTS for $99.99 so I guess it evens out a tad. My other justification was my recent lottery winnings all at retail. My wife told me that’s my Christmas gift. I’ll go with it.

In b4 everbody says you should've gotten the GTS. Enjoy your THH, nothing beats a good batch of that in my book! I'll open my 2014 (and last bottle) on New Years.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

I was faced with a similar dilemma today.. luckily WLW was an option. If it hadnt been i was gonna go THH

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I was faced with a similar dilemma today.. luckily WLW was an option. If it hadnt been i was gonna go THH

Awesome score! My LS manager asked me what I wanted before he received the small allocation and I said WLW! He said ok and then said when he got the allocation he didn’t get any WLW. I’ll choose to believe him, but he seems to reference the “secondary” market as of late. Come on I’m a loyal customer and a military vet. Show me some love!

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Tell me about it. If you’re paying $200 plus I get it. 

I haven't paid more than $140 for any of my BTAC that I have gotten over the past 5 or so years. While some have come from being lucky at lotteries, most have come from long time relationships with store owners or managers and have all been at or near retail. The most I paid this year was for the ER17 a friend got me in Florida and that was $125ish from Total Wine.

This year I was lucky to find what I did. Next year I might not get any, who knows. Either way, I'm sure you will land some at retail in the coming years.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

While I likely would have chosen the GTS, I would have been happy with either for that price.  Enjoy the Rye.  I've  really loved the couple of pours of THH I've had (think I've had pours of the 16 and 17)..

• I like it 1

Today I picked up M46 PS Bill Jr. (the one with all 10 staves being the M46) and some 1792 BiB.

Edited by Kepler

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.