What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice find on the FC6. I think it lost its age statement a couple years ago and I consider it a buy any time I still stumble upon one. 

Agree I really like FC6yr, my favorite of all the bottom shelfer HH.

39 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Agree I really like FC6yr, my favorite of all the bottom shelfer HH.

Me Three.  Still some 6 yr hangin’ around here and there, and I grab them every time.  I think the now discontinued HH6yr BIB was more balanced and approachable, but the bang and bite of the FC6 is extraordinarily good when I’m in the mood for that.  It’s my bottle to take to neighborhood college football parties.  

Me Three.  Still some 6 yr hangin’ around here and there, and I grab them every time.  I think the now discontinued HH6yr BIB was more balanced and approachable, but the bang and bite of the FC6 is extraordinarily good when I’m in the mood for that.  It’s my bottle to take to neighborhood college football parties.  

When I had HH6yr I thought it was good but was over oaked. I wonder if that’s how they picked barrels for this? Basically over oaked barrels that didn’t meet the profile of EW was dumped into HH batches. Like always just talking out of my a$& but curious.

Made a trip out east into Louisiana to play some poker and do some bourbon hunting. I’d say a successful trip. The 4R is an OESK, the RR are warehouse F and K. KC is said to be over 14 years.

No ECBP in Houston at least not on the shelf and limited supply that’s become a raffle bottle. In Louisiana I saw about 10 bottles on the shelf in one store, crazy.

First OWA I picked up in over a year, use to see it quite often but Weller craze has impacted Weller country and I’ve somehow seen more W12 in the past year.

IMG_5897.thumb.JPG.465da10e2203736e8a195f76483290b6.JPG

Looks like I’m opening one of the RR picks first.

IMG_5898.JPG

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Picked these up a few weeks ago - need to swing by the shop I grabbed the Belle Meade from to see if it's still on sale (was @ $30 IIRC) - def enjoying it. 

The FC has the old 6yr AS label correct?  Most others I've seen don't have it - how long ago did it drop off, and is it still considered 6yr or has it fallen off as HH continues their slash & burn of good quality "value" labels?

Finally, I posted a month ago about picking up SA Big Level knowing it hasn't received a lotta love 'round he'a.  Well, I finally cracked it open and now know why.......

Resizer_15455226119591.jpg

4 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Nice find on the FC6. I think it lost its age statement a couple years ago and I consider it a buy any time I still stumble upon one. 

Yeah nice find indeed, I really like the FC6

19 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Good ol Johnny D is one of my go-to’s

I wasn't sure about it when I bought the first bottle, (I'm always leery about those fancy labels w/cute stories) but I'm glad that I pulled the trigger. I wish it was ubiquitous in our neck of the woods, (Baltimore area), but I'll definitely buy more when I see it.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

When I had HH6yr I thought it was good but was over oaked. 

Over oaked at 6 years old? Whatchyoutalkin'aboutWillis?

Yeah maybe over oaked isn’t the right word but it tasted like a lot of wood. I also thought it was odd for a 6 year old bourbon. I doubt I’m the only one that gets this.

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah maybe over oaked isn’t the right word but it tasted like a lot of wood. I also thought it was odd for a 6 year old bourbon. I doubt I’m the only one that gets this.

Honestly, I think HH6 is very balanced.  I would say the FC 6 spiciness could come across as extra wood tannin influences.  

Two more OWA before leaving Ohio behind. The store owner didn't seem to want to sell them.  Probably should have hinted around for some more with the rumored price hike coming but the wallet was getting light and the wife and daughter were getting annoyed.

8 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Thanks, gonna try to swing by that LS tomorrow and see if/how many more still have the AS - at $14 a pop it's a no brainer to bring a couple more home.   I've skipped over FC for a few years while taking home some higher $$$ ones - stupid is as stupid does...

This is the same LS that I scored six 1L bottles of the now slightly dusty OFbib a month or two ago.  Gotta stop there more often and check for dust....

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Two more OWA before leaving Ohio behind. The store owner didn't seem to want to sell them.  Probably should have hinted around for some more with the rumored price hike coming but the wallet was getting light and the wife and daughter were getting annoyed.

You just to be clearer when making bourbon stops.  Usually, letting them know "the bus will be stopping and, if you don't like it, you are welcome to start walking" does the trick.  If they get ticked and give you the silent treatment, all the better since you can listen to music undisturbed all the way home.  :o

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

You just to be clearer when making bourbon stops.  Usually, letting them know "the bus will be stopping and, if you don't like it, you are welcome to start walking" does the trick.  If they get ticked and give you the silent treatment, all the better since you can listen to music undisturbed all the way home.  :o

Well, to be fair they were the ones that went in to the store to buy it at last stop. Was downtown Cleveland and a Browns game was about to start so there people everywhere and nowhere to park. I circled the block while they went inside. 

18 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Well, to be fair they were the ones that went in to the store to buy it at last stop. Was downtown Cleveland and a Browns game was about to start so there people everywhere and nowhere to park. I circled the block while they went inside. 

Wait, wait...your wife and daughter went in to buy bourbon for you.  Just like Wayne and Garth bowing down to Alice Cooper, I bow down to you sir.  Well played, my friend, well played!  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

5 hours ago, flahute said:

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Honestly, I think HH6 is very balanced.  I would say the FC 6 spiciness could come across as extra wood tannin influences.  

I'm thinking it's the charcoal he's tasting

• I like it 1

I'm thinking it's the charcoal he's tasting

You honestly don’t pick up a ton of oak on this, especially considering it’s age and what it is? I mean obviously for a lot of folks that’s a good thing. Heck don’t get me wrong I liked this especially for the price but I prefer the less “Woody” other similar HH alternatives. FC 6yr being the perfect example of a HH I prefer?

16 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

You honestly don’t pick up a ton of oak on this, especially considering it’s age and what it is? I mean obviously for a lot of folks that’s a good thing. Heck don’t get me wrong I liked this especially for the price but I prefer the less “Woody” other similar HH alternatives. FC 6yr being the perfect example of a HH I prefer?

For me, not really oak per se.  EC12 age stated is oaky to my palate, whereas HH6 is more heavy on charcoal filtering.  I have been drinking down a bottle of OE7 101 which I find very similar in profile to HH6BIB.   In both the OE and HH I taste a lot of charcoal, which I differentiate from "oakiness" (which to me is drier and more tannic in nature than charcoal). 

Edited by Kepler

For me, not really oak per se.  EC12 age stated is oaky to my palate, whereas HH6 is more heavy on charcoal filtering.  I have been drinking down a bottle of OE7 101 which I find very similar in profile to HH6BIB.   In both the OE and HH I taste a lot of charcoal, which I differentiate from "oakiness" (which to me is drier and more tannic in nature than charcoal).  

Very interesting perhaps this is what I’m picking up on as I found the OE7 101 also as something I considered, “over oaked”. It’s the reason I’ve avoided the barell strength version. Just not to my liking.

This also is likely why I generally tend to prefer the new younger EC store picks over the previous 12 year bottlings.

21 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

... but I prefer the less “Woody” other similar HH alternatives. FC 6yr being the perfect example of a HH I prefer?

I hear you on this.  To me, FC 6yr is the same as HH6 and OE7 101, but without the heavy charcoal filtering.  The FC is more fruit forward, which comes off as spiciness somehow (which  I like).  Gotta love Heaven Hill because they give us bourbon lovers so many choices

• I like it 1

It’s been a while since my last post. Not being lucky this year except with the 4R SmB which is already nice, but I’ve found this one in the wild. @MTNBourbon, this is one we’ve talked about. 

PS : thx to some SB’s member for checking if I was still drinking bourbon, this is a great community. 

85C9C929-4A8E-4796-8818-7366A503CDA5.thumb.jpeg.dd0f5e582994ec8fe2619f14b0b1592a.jpeg

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Very interesting perhaps this is what I’m picking up on as I found the OE7 101 also as something I considered, “over oaked”. It’s the reason I’ve avoided the barell strength version. Just not to my liking.

This also is likely why I generally tend to prefer the new younger EC store picks over the previous 12 year bottlings.

I would try the Barrel strength version...very different in my opinion and you won’t be out a lot of cash. Lots of OE7 101 around me, but I won’t be buying another bottle, even if it is being discontinued. I enjoyed HH6 much more, but on a personal level, EW BIB has them both beat.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Made a trip out east into Louisiana to play some poker and do some bourbon hunting. I’d say a successful trip. The 4R is an OESK, the RR are warehouse F and K. KC is said to be over 14 years.

No ECBP in Houston at least not on the shelf and limited supply that’s become a raffle bottle. In Louisiana I saw about 10 bottles on the shelf in one store, crazy.

First OWA I picked up in over a year, use to see it quite often but Weller craze has impacted Weller country and I’ve somehow seen more W12 in the past year.

IMG_5897.thumb.JPG.465da10e2203736e8a195f76483290b6.JPG

Looks like I’m opening one of the RR picks first.

IMG_5898.JPG

I wish I could find some of that OESK for myself.  Its my favorite recipe.  Nice haul.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.