What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 minutes ago, elmossle said:

So today was a great but expensive day on the bourbon hunt for me. Started the day scoring a case of ECBP C918 for a fellow SBer while getting a VW Lot B for myself. After that, made a stop at Julio's Liquors and did some damage. I was lucky enough to get 2 different barrel picks WTRR. 2 more bottles of their EC 12 SB pick. The last bottle of their Weller 107 micro batch. To top it all off, I got bottle of their new Maker's Mark PS Single Barrel that is amazing and I am not a Maker's fan. Happy that I have plenty of great bourbon to help get me thru the long winter months coming up. Cheers!

I believe youre covered for the winter and part of the spring. Nice haul!

• I like it 1

Picked up a few bottles after work. Digging the Boone County 12 lately, but love the Very Old Barton Bottled In Bond, especially for the price of $14.99. Also picked up a bottle of Caribou Crossing Canadian whiskey, which I’ve never seen on the shelf before and only had in bars. Not bourbon , but it’s pretty good too.
IMG_9167.JPG

Finally decided to try the Maker's Mark Cask Strength.

It’s pretty good stuff! Most of the Maker’s Private Selection bottles I’ve tried have been pretty good too, but they’re hard to find in some areas.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:34 PM, Swamp55 said:

Had a nice haul today.  The WTRB is a replacement for a 116.8 proof bottle that I am nearly through; very tasty stuff!  The Joseph Magnus is a new one for me.  I have been fascinated by the posts on here by Nancy Fraley (WhiskeyBlender) who is heavily involved with the creation of this one, and I'm looking forward to cracking this one soon.  The Amrut Fusion (obviously not a bourbon) is one that I have been curious about for some time.  My first Indian whisky!

WTRB & JM & AF.jpg

Hey @Swamp55, glad to see you picked up a bottle of the Jos. Magnus triple cask! I must say, that WT Rare Breed barrel proof and the Amrut look pretty good! I'm a HUGE Turkey head, so that one looks especially good to me. In fact, I have a "man about to go down" in my current WT Rare Breed barrel proof, which clocks in at 112.8 proof, and I'm gonna be sad to see it go! 

Maybe I shouldn't admit this so openly, but I think if I'm going to say it, this is as safe a forum as any to do so. Of all the whiskeys that I blend in the Magnus portfolio, the JM straight bourbon (Triple cask) is my least favorite. I'm just not a big fan of Sherry, or Sherry finished bourbon for that matter, although I actually do like it in some malt whiskies. In fact, if I hadn't discovered that the original bottle of Magnus that was preserved from 1892 and that is now 126 years old had aged in Sherry butts back in the day at the original Cincinnati distillery (which I had to analyze in order recreate it and to make the modern day version), I wouldn't have used ANY type of Sherry butt as a finishing cask. As I've said on here before, the Cognac cask finishing part isn't historically accurate, but I needed it to get a little closer to the original bourbon profile. Also, just for funzies, the stock of MGP barrels used for the JMB is currently 12 years old. 

However, I'd be disingenuous if I didn't say that I hope other people like it - obviously I do, and I hope it is done well for what it is - but it isn't a big favorite to my personal taste. 

With that, hope you enjoy all three whiskeys, and cheers!

Nancy

• I like it 8

Not really earth shattering, but a couple I haven't had yet, and another KCsibPS (14yr if I'm reading the tag correctly).   $35 for the KC, $23 for the JBsib, and $28 for Baby Saz.

Resizer_15398231755421.jpg

Got a call about some ECBP. Perfect timing as my current bottle is just about empty.  Great stuff and happy that with all the price increases this one is still reasonable. It does irk me that the put #1 whiskey of the year signs on the bottle when it’s an entirely different batch. 

5CA9BF11-8D2F-4ABB-B4F3-B8E8D382B8F8.jpeg

• I like it 2

Hey [mention=13043]Swamp55[/mention], glad to see you picked up a bottle of the Jos. Magnus triple cask! I must say, that WT Rare Breed barrel proof and the Amrut look pretty good! I'm a HUGE Turkey head, so that one looks especially good to me. In fact, I have a "man about to go down" in my current WT Rare Breed barrel proof, which clocks in at 112.8 proof, and I'm gonna be sad to see it go! 

Maybe I shouldn't admit this so openly, but I think if I'm going to say it, this is as safe a forum as any to do so. Of all the whiskeys that I blend in the Magnus portfolio, the JM straight bourbon (Triple cask) is my least favorite. I'm just not a big fan of Sherry, or Sherry finished bourbon for that matter, although I actually do like it in some malt whiskies. In fact, if I hadn't discovered that the original bottle of Magnus that was preserved from 1892 and that is now 126 years old had aged in Sherry butts back in the day at the original Cincinnati distillery (which I had to analyze in order recreate it and to make the modern day version), I wouldn't have used ANY type of Sherry butt as a finishing cask. As I've said on here before, the Cognac cask finishing part isn't historically accurate, but I needed it to get a little closer to the original bourbon profile. Also, just for funzies, the stock of MGP barrels used for the JMB is currently 12 years old. 

However, I'd be disingenuous if I didn't say that I hope other people like it - obviously I do, and I hope it is done well for what it is - but it isn't a big favorite to my personal taste. 

Nancy

Nancy,

The JM Triple Cask finally made it to west TN a few months ago, and I am one of those people that does like it...don’t like the price, but I do like the bourbon...sherry finishes and all! Hopefully, we’ll see some of the other JM products show up at some point in my area.
  • I like it 1

54 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Nancy@WhiskeyBlender what is your personal favorite Magnus bottling?

Hey @HoustonNit

My personal favorite Magnus bottling is Cigar Blend. I think I've talked on here many times that my original production training is in brandy, from a 10th generation Cognac maker who came to California in the early 1980's after his family sold their Cognac house to Martell (Hubert Germain-Robin). Since I came up with the idea for Cigar Blend while smoking my pipe out on my deck under the redwood trees one evening a few years back, it is admittedly a personal favorite. To say that I'm an Armagnac lover is an understatement. I collect vintage Armagnacs and I travel to France at least once a year, usually during November, to study production methods and visit distilleries. Cigar Blend, while it has about 15 to 20% of the regular Jos. Magnus triple cask in the blend, is finished in Armagnac casks, and I love the Armagnac notes in it. Also, together with the Murray Hill Club Special Release, this is the release that I give the most personal attention to. I check the casks every 2 weeks to every month, depending on the time of year (hot or cold in the barrel room), and I make very small adjustments as I deem necessary, such as adding a minute amount of a bourbon that has more sweetness, spice, depth, age (like a little more 20 year old), etc. These releases get my personal TLC. 

On the more accessible releases, I tend to prefer the Murray Hill Club Blended Bourbon over the JMB triple cask. I use a small amount of (now) 10 year old light whiskey, and in the most recent releases, the majority of the blend comes from 12 and 20 year old MGP bourbons. 

I also really like the MHC-Special Release Pineau des Charentes finished bourbon. Again, as a brandy fan and as someone who came from that production tradition, that is probably next to the Cigar Blend, for my palate. They're both quite different, but I love them both. 

I sure hope this doesn't come off as shameless promotion, but I also hope I answered your questions. Thus, for the Magnus creations I've done, Cigar Blend comes 1st, followed by the MHC-SR Pineau des Charentes finish, then the regular MHC, and finally the JMB triple cask. 

Sorry for such a long note, but at least I hope that helps to explain!

Cheers, 

Nancy

IMG_3207.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 6

42 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Nancy,

The JM Triple Cask finally made it to west TN a few months ago, and I am one of those people that does like it...don’t like the price, but I do like the bourbon...sherry finishes and all! Hopefully, we’ll see some of the other JM products show up at some point in my area.

I'm thrilled to hear that you DO like it! I agree on the price, and again, it isn't to my personal tastes, but I'm beyond happy to hear that you like it! I just can't get with the sherry notes. As a native east Tennessean, I'd really love to see more of it show up in our state!

Enjoy,

N.

• I like it 1

[mention=12388]Whiskeyblender[/mention] I assumed the cigar blend. I haven’t tried it but have only heard good things. I also like the idea of a bourbon that will hold up to a cigar. I don’t have your palate but I seem to prefer a rye or a woody less sweet bourbon with my cigars. Something like Weller Antique which I really like holds up terribly to a cigar. A good Knob Creek Single Barrel or a nice spicy Turkey pairs well.

P.s. nice stick.

• I like it 1

Picked up EHTsmB @35.99 and a 375 Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Store pick from my hometown while back in Michigan for the week.  

I’ll be heading up to Lansing area tomorrow for the MSU vs Mich game Saturday. What are the best liquor stores in the area up there now? Back in college we used to just go to Quality Dairy or Meijer for booze. 

I picked up Stagg Jr. for the first time since Batch 1. I’ve seen here that it has improved quite a bit and for $47, I’ll give it a shot. 

• I like it 1

I found a local store with 4R OESF which is my favorite recipe from the factory private label program.  Also scored a 10yo Sazerac.

• I like it 1

While sipping an OBSQ (which is my current favorite 4R that I have) last night, I told my wife that my 4R collection was getting fairly low. Today I was able to partially remedy this situation. The OESK was higher than I wanted to pay ($75 pre-tax), but oh well. 

20181018_151853.jpg

• I like it 4

20 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @Swamp55, glad to see you picked up a bottle of the Jos. Magnus triple cask! I must say, that WT Rare Breed barrel proof and the Amrut look pretty good! I'm a HUGE Turkey head, so that one looks especially good to me. In fact, I have a "man about to go down" in my current WT Rare Breed barrel proof, which clocks in at 112.8 proof, and I'm gonna be sad to see it go! 

Nancy

Now, that's letting the cat out of the bag. Can you be that honest and run a modern spirit business? Hehehehehe

A couple solid drinkers & a WSR not pictured that I bought just because it was $18.99.  

9A47F8D4-CC04-40EC-A8D0-6D4F5E76B2EA.jpeg

• I like it 5

Picked up all the stuff I had at will call waiting at my local not all bourbon but...  Left to right

CEHT small, CEHT BP, 2x midwinter nights dram, Double rye at 108 proof with 3 year bourbon finish, ECBP c918, Belle Meade cask  strength reserve, 2x RR store pick (43$ each) and paranubes Oaxacan agricole

IMG_20181018_161444.jpg

• I like it 7

41 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Picked up all the stuff I had at will call waiting at my local not all bourbon but...  Left to right

CEHT small, CEHT BP, 2x midwinter nights dram, Double rye at 108 proof with 3 year bourbon finish, ECBP c918, Belle Meade cask  strength reserve, 2x RR store pick (43$ each) and paranubes Oaxacan agricole

IMG_20181018_161444.jpg

Great price on the RR, a lot more expensive here since I just picked up a couple store picks myself.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, raymoall said:

Great price on the RR, a lot more expensive here since I just picked up a couple store picks myself.

They were clearing inventory with 6 new picks incoming. Not the norm

Some how managed to find a bottle of ECBP A118. Paid more than I am used to, but it was only $10 more which wasn't too bad. Got that and the last bottle of a EC SB that is a 12yr.

Not much to say here. 

I love me some mgp!

since someone will ask, yes, they’re all Sarah bottles.  :)

4707372A-1886-4642-BFED-B872B3572012.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.