What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I actually really like Loch Lomond 12 especially for the $30 it runs here, a few more Glen Scotia appreciating posts and I'll probably cave on a bottle soon. 

Looked online at the store where I'd probably have to buy the LL12 and it's $34.99. Damn nice price for a decent 12yr Scotch. I liked the Glen Scotia Campbeltown neat better than the 16, but a little water flipped my preference. While I didn't find either of them on the same online site as the LL12, they have the 15yr for $69.99. It's nice to know that for my tastes there's a few more good value priced Scotch's out there. I still lean more towards peated whiskies but I'm coming around to others. The bank account isn't liking that...…..

• I like it 1

Having spent the evening watching the government shitshow unfold in the UK requires something with a bit of wallop, so Black Bull 21 is currently doing the job nicely. 

• I like it 2

Anyone have any experience with this Mexican whiskey? It’s my first time seeing it. 

1B7D0609-857E-4696-8D2D-9C0FB9EDAA28.jpeg

5 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Anyone have any experience with this Mexican whiskey? It’s my first time seeing it. 

1B7D0609-857E-4696-8D2D-9C0FB9EDAA28.jpeg

I've not had but there are three, Yellow Corn, Black Corn and White Corn, of the three from the reviews I've read the Yellow corn seems to generally be preferred and the Black Corn seems to be the consensus worst of the lot.  Either way if you were going to go for it I've seen it for $10 less at most places. 

Unknown sample of The Glenlivet Nadurra. My buddy from work brought the sample, and he had no idea all Nadurras are different *facepalm*. Well, it's not peated, and it's different from my 16yr.

Johnny Black for me tonight.  A wonderful whiskey for me.  It just hits so many positive notes, all in a beautifully balanced way.  Little bit of everything in measured doses, and doesn’t break the bank.  This is a “must have” on my bar.  

• I like it 1

Another new one for me tonight while we're on  vacation,  Johnnie Walker Island Green. It's a blend of Caol Ila, Clynelish, Glenkinchie and Cardhu. The Caol Ila dominates, but not in an over the top sort of way.  Very enjoyable.

20190117_185350.jpg

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Another new one for me tonight while we're on  vacation,  Johnnie Walker Island Green. It's a blend of Caol Ila, Clynelish, Glenkinchie and Cardhu. The Caol Ila dominates, but not in an over the top sort of way.  Very enjoyable.

20190117_185350.jpg

I can dig that

• I like it 1

All that peat talk in the other thread had me pining for this one… it's like a Caroni blended with the stuff pumped into Wolverine's body finished in a hot vintage VW oil bath air cleaner.

IMG_0124.thumb.jpg.21773dedf2b4fca007a5258b5d975c17.jpg

• I like it 1

All that peat talk in the other thread had me pining for this one… it's like a Caroni blended with the stuff pumped into Wolverine's body finished in a hot vintage VW oil bath air cleaner.

IMG_0124.thumb.jpg.21773dedf2b4fca007a5258b5d975c17.jpg

Oh wow...what a description of tasting notes! It definitely sounds interesting.
  • I like it 1

Happy Burns Night! If you want peat, you got it. Freshly opened bottle. This stuff is amazing. Better than I remember my one bar pour 5 years ago.

20190125_192314.jpg

• I like it 3

Burns Night at a hotel with the blandest Scotch offerings on Earth— luckily I hit the Total Wine prior to crossing into North Carolina.

9E6B559B-12D3-4032-B5DE-AF0824E504A9.thumb.jpeg.817f12e2ce42ad9aa2f149d4969c5a6f.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Burns Night at a hotel with the blandest Scotch offerings on Earth— luckily I hit the Total Wine prior to crossing into North Carolina.

9E6B559B-12D3-4032-B5DE-AF0824E504A9.thumb.jpeg.817f12e2ce42ad9aa2f149d4969c5a6f.jpeg

I really dig early 90's and earlier era Glen Garioch, just enough grit to make it interesting.

A couple of months ago the local Liquor Barn put Dewars 15 and Glen Moray 16 on extreme mark down.  Upon taste I found both with profiles that I didn’t find enjoyable.  

Today I recalled an Ardbeg Uigeadail that I bought two years ago or so that the peat was just overwhelming.

I put a small portion of the Ardbeg into a decent pour of each and found these to be outstanding.

Sometimes it all works out.  ?

The Tide is High... a remarkable 12yo— for some reason there’s a cool OGD 114 DNA running through this one. 

61A54A04-D22B-40C6-9E92-D5CA4EE112FF.thumb.jpeg.5973389c0e139b88c22c70b8af714975.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

there’s a cool OGD 114 DNA running through this one. 

That's one mutant malt. What do you mean?

Edit: Holy shit %65.5

Edited by Kane

Tamdhu Barrel Strength Batch 3.  Small sip from my flask after walking the dog this morning at 9F.  Nice way to wakeup the senses after the deep freeze.  And thanks to Jeffrey R. for posting his tasting of sherry bombs.  If not for that, I would have not given this a try.  My new favorite flask whiskey!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kane said:

That's one mutant malt. What do you mean?

Edit: Holy shit %65.5

Not really sure-- but I tried them SBS this morning and there's some kind of "separated at birth" connection-- in a good way. I also diluted it down to the 40s and played it against a standard HP12 which came across as a corpse by comparison.

IMG_0203.thumb.jpg.66b67a207db1b83d225377c422babbef.jpg

Loving this whiskey this afternoon.  Fresh linen nose.  Deep honey notes and pear on the palate.  Great mouth coating.  Very Spring-like.  

AED1B689-FDD8-4177-808A-050C56BE90D6.jpeg

Tamdhu Batch 2 and a whole lot of dubliner while waiting for dinner to cook. Not sure if they're supposed to go together, I just wanted to eat cheese!

IMG_20190202_203311.jpg

• I like it 1

Much better than expected. The Glenmorangie character is still there, but presented in a hairer and high proof style-- very nice…

IMG_0223.thumb.jpg.47983d29fd11494c6fda2f278e8d17dd.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.