What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is quite a nice pour, a considerable bit more enjoyable than the regular issue bottle. 

y4mYcEbN1MVBcQHwXlWDWRcbl1WipQHaZ-XB80VU

• I like it 1

Pour number two for Monday night needed some guts to follow up pour number one. 

y4m0tlD8FAexd3Zx-puTVfqqQmsYLy_zI0_kpnGw

• I like it 1

Cork failure on the 1994, (bottled 2005) maybe it's just the extra effort involved but that one is the winner here, would very much like to compare these to a more current Single Cask. 

y4mRmoiOxV-3xrZWY0CDnwegBA75Equ3Anf691Ke

Tonight was a night for several Tomatins or is the plural Tomati, out of this lot I'd probably pick the French Oak. The PX is interesting but very much not what you would expect from a PX finish in that it's not all that sweet, some real interesting notes in there though. I would probably pick the standard issue $30 12 over the other two though both are plenty drinkable. 

y4m19DxwLLnfDKzreOVgb0wnzMlAnTbE4H2Fv-jQ

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

And a bottle kill for good measure 

IMG_20181005_224559901.jpg

Top 5 whiskey of any kind for me, right there.  

• I like it 1

While checking the open bottles to decide what to drink after a long day of work, decided the darkside was calling my name. Starting off with a favorite, 2015 Caol Ila 17yr unpeated. A couple splashes of water and this one's heaven for me.

• I like it 3

Working on the last few pours of a 28yr Strathclyde.  I wasn't crazy about this at first.  Or after a few pours.  Or after more than half the bottle.  But with only a couple left and not having had it in many months - it is just a buttery, creamy delicious single grain.  

On 10/5/2018 at 10:51 PM, kevinbrink said:

Tonight it was Jura, these two don't seem even a little similar.

IMG_20181005_215614764.jpg

How were they? I haven't been able to find a Jura I could truly enjoy so far.

The bottle on the left was actually pretty solid almost like Craigellachie with a touch of brine, the more recent bottle on the right belongs to a buddy and is universally considered by our friends to be the worst scotch in his liquor cabinet. 

I’m finally getting into some Lagavulin 8 yr tonight while making samples. I bought this a while back on a lark but I’m really digging it. Easily the best 8yr Old single malt that I’ve had. Much more robust and peat forward than the standard 16 yr (which I love). It’s like that meathead bruiser of a cousin showing up at the family reunion and cracking heads. Wait, was that just my north Georgia family?

10 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I’m finally getting into some Lagavulin 8 yr tonight while making samples. I bought this a while back on a lark but I’m really digging it. Easily the best 8yr Old single malt that I’ve had. Much more robust and peat forward than the standard 16 yr (which I love). It’s like that meathead bruiser of a cousin showing up at the family reunion and cracking heads. Wait, was that just my north Georgia family?

I found similar comparisons to the early couple of Stagg Jr. releases and GTS Sr.  Damn kick in the pants fun whiskey.  This 8 yr Lag sounds like it has that similar unbridled fury.  Save me some!  

Was feeling somewhat nostalgic and wanted to crack something to fit the mood, this one worked like a charm. 

y4mBhxC72ihR2dELOAHCV-jqq4L6Qv4pXf6BOvIh

The inspiration for this was a photo taken New Years 2010, wish that 18 was still on the shelf and priced like it was then also wish I remembered what that Mackillop's Choice was I think it was a Glenburgie

y4mUz6tKgwGyoHkDsNFG5iKW_9KilpEc6fSFfJf5

• I like it 2

I'm super excited to try this and I have to say it's super delicious! They just released it. Much better than last year's. The age statement is 11 years now but they upped the proof to 58.4%. I had to buy two bottles, I might get more next week if they're still there. It would be meant to be. IMG_20181012_185736.jpegIMG_20181012_185914.jpeg

• I like it 3

Forgotten just how good this is. Beautiful sweet briny smokey goodness. Cracking price too (here at least).

20181017_231315.jpg

7 minutes ago, beasled said:

Forgotten just how good this is. Beautiful sweet briny smokey goodness. Cracking price too (here at least).

20181017_231315.jpg

Not bad here (in terms of scotch prices) seems to be under $50 most of the time, one of the best affordable OB bottles on the market, 

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Not bad here (in terms of scotch prices) seems to be under $50 most of the time, one of the best affordable OB bottles on the market, 

Glad to hear it, great value at that given prices of other things on your side!

Wish the price didn't go bonkers on this one, and that it wasn't discontinued now for that matter. 

y4mGnRwSGo83F--vj5yshwrUUSu-YaCGnYtF8zcI

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Wish the price didn't go bonkers on this one, and that it wasn't discontinued now for that matter. 

y4mGnRwSGo83F--vj5yshwrUUSu-YaCGnYtF8zcI

I occasionally find this at TW for $65, don't know why/how, esp when Yamazaki 12 is double that. This is what got me into peat, love it!

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I occasionally find this at TW for $65, don't know why/how, esp when Yamazaki 12 is double that. This is what got me into peat, love it!

It's over $100 here now and most of the places that still have it on the shelf are gone, I like it enough to buy it under $70 but even at that price there are certainly whiskeys I enjoy more most of the time. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.