What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Curiosity got the better of me, this was new at my TW and I have a soft spot for cheap blended malts. Checks a few boxes good proof at 46%, an actual age statement of 8 years, and yeah it's from Islay and youthful peat is just fine by me. A few negatives that shitty metal screw top and what appears to be a Dalmore level of e150a coloring. So what did I get for the price of a Laphroaig or Ardbeg 10?  Seems to me like a blend of Caol Ila and Bowmore heavy on the Caol Ila, which I am fine with. Doesn't taste as young as I would have expected, would have guessed a decade or more in second fill bourbon casks. 

y4mQORLGnB58ll4RZvABVL4AHc0bbqi-QsODDY4z

• I like it 3

Last pour from this lovely bottle - brought it to a friend's on Friday night and glad a few others got to enjoy it (although I really wish someone wouldn't mistake it for a penile duct).  I'll miss her, but take comfort that John Glaser has more new toys to play with :) 

IMG_20181119_203557.thumb.jpg.f24201048baa10cecdacd597004d3681.jpg

• I like it 3

The theme is independents tonight. This Bunna here is NOTHING like the house Bunna Moine Oloroso release I've posted here multiple times. No color to the whisky, but 2x the peat, tons of seaweed that I normally never get from Bunna, combined with signature Bunna silky texture. Familiar but strange at the same time. This is the beauty of independent bottlers!IMG_20181121_220732.thumb.jpg.b1cbfe5faea73a5fc78ef0417289bf17.jpgIMG_20181121_221248.thumb.jpg.fe73fecb9ad3432f1246af3d798b7d39.jpg

Linkwood 16 finished in Côte Rôtie. I have a lot of respect for the G&M Private Collection series. Hits the spot when you want to be surprised.

IMG_20181121_224006.jpg

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

Killed off the last of my CB TINALW last night (although rather than hitting the recycle/trash bin, this bottle will go on a shelf next to The General).  My wife has remarked that people "don't know who these whiskey people are" - and I have to remind her that the right people do :) 

IMG_20181121_185724.thumb.jpg.e26b4fcd7dfabfeef7edcf85bfd40b51.jpg

• I like it 1

After having the obligatory WT for Thanksgiving (8yr 101), settling in with some 2015 17yr cask strength unpeated Caol Ila. Still a favorite that I'm very thankful for stumbling upon last year.

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Screenshot_20181126-234258_Photos.jpg

I tried, I really tried...just not a fan of this expression.  And I love Springbank.  Drowning my sorrows on a rainy Monday with the Feathery.  Very delicate.  A sherried Highland blend. Needs around 10 proof points and it might stray into the realm of the interesting.

9 hours ago, El Vino said:

I tried, I really tried...just not a fan of this expression.  And I love Springbank.  Drowning my sorrows on a rainy Monday with the Feathery.  Very delicate.  A sherried Highland blend. Needs around 10 proof points and it might stray into the realm of the interesting.

This is my second bottle of Kilkerran 12, and I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed the first time round either. Thought I'd give it a second try and this time round (with lower expectations perhaps) I rather like it. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, beasled said:

This is my second bottle of Kilkerran 12, and I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed the first time round either. Thought I'd give it a second try and this time round (with lower expectations perhaps) I rather like it. 

I'm on my second bottle as well if that counts the 50ml I started with, I quite like it myself. 

• I like it 1

I haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but I have heard from some who have that it takes some time in to open up in the bottle after opening. Then it gets better and better.

Put it away for a month or so and come back to it. See what you think then. Let us know...

I removed this $30 limited edition from it's Bespoke Carton*, it's interesting I'm wondering if I would found have found it nearly as compelling not knowing before that it was fermented with Chardonnay yeast. It's definitely a little less dirty than Loch Lomond 12. 

y4mMobyiGbPzy6e1-ZOY0_HRrmSVJbVh2LTIymWN

Edited by kevinbrink
*Bespoke Carton is a trademark of Maker's Mark/Beam Suntory 2018

One from the bunker, been in there a long time. Regret not getting a few of these as this is terrific. 

Screenshot_20181205-211132_Gallery.jpg

• I like it 3

I had a nice pour of Redbreast 12 last night, so I though it would be good to open up with 1 finger of the CS, tonight.

My immediate realization?  That's going to be one hell of a tough act to follow!  :)

• I like it 2

Last evening, a nice pour of Aberlour 12 NCF.  Definitely a good one, and glad I have a couple of backups.  Too bad this was discontinued, as Aberlour still puts out the Aberlour 12.  I guess the NCF and higher proof were not economically viable for them anymore.

DC2C0EE2-E07F-48CE-971E-E75FD65AD036.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.