Short Louisville Trips

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just found out I'm heading to the motherland for work for 2.5 days this month and for 3.5 in December.  As I'm working 9-5, my only chance to cash in would be to take an extra day to do some Whisky row touring.  However, I would appreciate some suggestions on hotspots to pick up bourbon.  

As of right now I stop at Keg Liquors and a few local state stores then ship it all in a box back home.  Any suggestions in particular for rare(r) finds?  I know Liquor Barn is also a big one.

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Just found out I'm heading to the motherland for work for 2.5 days this month and for 3.5 in December.  As I'm working 9-5, my only chance to cash in would be to take an extra day to do some Whisky row touring.  However, I would appreciate some suggestions on hotspots to pick up bourbon.  

As of right now I stop at Keg Liquors and a few local state stores then ship it all in a box back home.  Any suggestions in particular for rare(r) finds?  I know Liquor Barn is also a big one.

Thanks for the help!

You're not going to find anything rare at Liquor Barn. They're a big chain and hold anything rare for special sales these days. Many of the smaller stores are hip to the rare game as well and price those bottles at secondary. Your better bet is to keep an eye out for things that aren't available in your area that you'd like to try. Since you're in a control state, there may be some things available in KY that you can't get at home. If you find any HHBIB, that would be my first suggestion!

Like Brian advises, not anything special in stores outside of what is not avail in your home market.  The Louisville Distilleries like  the Evan Williams Exoerience do have special bottles available.  Not cheap, but can’t get most anywhere else.  

• I like it 1

When we were there, we just asked the folks at the distilleries what they had to offer, that was only available at the distillery.  We ended up with some Maker's White, Old Tub, (which I found out you can get elsewhere in Louisville), a couple "Distillers picks", at 4R.  If you hit Jim Beam American Stillhouse, you can rinse your your own bottle of  Knob Creek, watch it get filled, labeled and sealed w/wax and you stick your thumbprint on the wax seal, which was kind neat. 
This girl with us had a Mickey Mouse ring, that she stuck on the seal, which I thought looked great.  At Evan Williams, I bought a bottle of McKenna 10-year, which isn't unique, but the distiller was there, and he signed the bottle, which was pretty cool.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.