Do you ever flavor White Dog?

MrPatrick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Brand new here. I didn’t find any discussions about this here. I found some American Born White Dog on clearance at the local big grocery for $6 a bottle. I have wood, a torch and other things, what the hell. I cook often and know how to build flavor combinations that usually work.

Scorch some Hickory chips and float them in the whiskey for a few months. Tastes too woody. Needs mellowing. Hickory smoked trout almandine is good...add 3 raw almonds for two weeks. Mellowed. Lacking that mild sweetness...Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup 1/4 tsp ought to do it.

Sweeter. Missing some earthiness. 1/4 inch square of high quality 100% cacao for 3 days and we’re done. It wouldn’t medal at a competition, but it was better than some store bought bottles I’ve had.

Has anyone else tried/risked this? The last photo is charred Macadamia nut shells and whole raw nuts after 3 days. Smells great so far.IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_5743.JPGIMG_5745.JPGIMG_5746.JPGIMG_5792.JPG

Welcome to the site MrP!

I've never tried anything like that. Ya gotta know your limitations, and for me, anything beyond opening the bottle and pouring its contents into a glass is mine.

• I like it 2

My brother and I BBQ all year round here in so Cal with different woods and charcoal. So I have a decent sense of wood flavor profiles. Our father was an expert wood carver so we were exposed to all kinds of wood as he cut pieces to size he wanted. I can remember all those different wood smells as he cut them on his Shopsmith.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I charred one Pecan shell and added it to the Macadamia Madness. I have 5 roasted and unsalted Mac nuts soaking away in the jar. Pecan shells have a real nice flavor when used in grilling. I put them in the jar and came back two hours later and they gave up a ton of color in a short time. Just a hint of flavor. Last step will probably be getting a dried Macadamia branch from my friends and letting soak after I roast and char it. As it sits, it’s ok for a mixed drink. Loosing volume to small sips and the amount the raw Macadamia nuts in the shell soaked up.IMG_6605.thumb.jpg.0fc201fd73e5eb377dfec805057501ed.jpg

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

Never tried that. Thought about it. I have seen very small barrels for sale that you can put your own stuff in to age it. Your in the craft whiskey field now. If you look at the traditional stuff it's usually around 2 years. I'm with vosgar, just want to pop the top, er unscrew the top and enjoy. I got into the white stuff to see what it tastes like before the aging process changes it. Pretty good in it's own right.

Well, a guy I know flavors his White Dog with Orange Crush.  Take a swig of WD, fill the space with OC.  Swig from the WD bottle, fill the space.  Repeat as necessary until both are gone.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.