Baker’s part of the barrel program?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was talking with a manager at one of my locals today and he mentioned Beam had approached him about doing a Baker’s pick. He is a well informed in bourbon/whiskey matters...not just a ‘store guy’ that doesn’t know the difference between Knob Creek and Baker’s. 

Has anyone seen a Baker’s barrel before?

I’d definitely try one, as Baker’s is my favorite of the Beam small batch line up (and doesn’t get its due IMO). 

• I like it 3

I have never seen a Baker's PS

BUT, I bet it could be epic & will definitely pick one up if ever......

Cheers 

I'd be down for that.  Baker's is fantastic and readily available.  I'm always amazed by how much it opens up by just letting it breathe a little.

It’s quite possible, and I would jump at the chance to pick one.  But, I remember being told during a GBS pick at Beam of a KCBP that 2 iterations of higher proof Basil Hayden were also soon to be available for private selection.  That, unfortunately, didn’t materialize.  So, there’s a lot that can happen from planning to actual execution.  As with most things in life, it comes down to one word...youneverknow.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s quite possible, and I would jump at the chance to pick one.  But, I remember being told during a GBS pick at Beam of a KCBP that 2 iterations of higher proof Basil Hayden were also soon to be available for private selection.  That, unfortunately, didn’t materialize.  So, there’s a lot that can happen from planning to actual execution.  As with most things in life, it comes down to one word...youneverknow.

My friend said he passed on the offer due to the fact that he sells about 1 bottle of Baker’s a month. 

I know it has a few fans on here but I really wish Beam would promote it more. If it was $40 OTD, I’d buy it more. Either way, it is a nice age and proof point. 

55 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

My friend said he passed on the offer due to the fact that he sells about 1 bottle of Baker’s a month. 

I know it has a few fans on here but I really wish Beam would promote it more. If it was $40 OTD, I’d buy it more. Either way, it is a nice age and proof point. 

Go back and tell him if his store does/did mail order, he could sell that entire barrel pretty quick.

:)

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Go back and tell him if his store does/did mail order, he could sell that entire barrel pretty quick.

:)

How many boxes do you think I have ???

south carolina doesn’t ship unfortunately. 

BTW, did he say how he could pick?  At distillery, samples, either?  Or, was it that Beam would Bottle a Barrel at Beam, and send him the results with some stickers?  Reason for asking, is I’ve not heard a lick about Baker’s being added to the program, and there have been other similar off program “Barrel Picks” in past years, and those turned out to be a retailer getting a deal on 15ish cases and a handful of stickers.  Let us know what you learn.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Baker's is good but why pay $50+ for it when KCSiB is ~$40 and 9yo and 120 proof? 

18 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Baker's is good but why pay $50+ for it when KCSiB is ~$40 and 9yo and 120 proof? 

For me, Baker’stastes better than the 9 yr, and even gets progressively better in comparison as the KCSB BP’s get older.  

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

BTW, did he say how he could pick?  At distillery, samples, either?  Or, was it that Beam would Bottle a Barrel at Beam, and send him the results with some stickers?  Reason for asking, is I’ve not heard a lick about Baker’s being added to the program, and there have been other similar off program “Barrel Picks” in past years, and those turned out to be a retailer getting a deal on 15ish cases and a handful of stickers.  Let us know what you learn.

I sent him a message and will share the answers. 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, smokinjoe said:

For me, Baker’stastes better than the 9 yr, and even gets progressively better in comparison as the KCSB BP’s get older.  

Joe, I am very much with you here. 

Baker's is one of my favorites, and I'm a big fan of the PS KC SiB's.  I would definitely be interested.

Bakers Barrel Pick . . . I hate to admit how aroused those three words may have gotten me.  Yeah . . . that would be pretty awesome.  I'll admit I didn't give Bakers enough love when I was on my bourbon discovery journey, but the last few times I've had a pour - I've wondered what in the hell I was thinking.  To Joe's point - Beam has gotten me excited before and it hasn't panned out (although with all of the BH line extensions, I wonder if that is the root cause'; so maybe we pray there isn't a ton of Baker's offerings - except for private selections!)

Still waiting to hear back. 

Wish Beam would do a little more to promote this. Nice age and proof point. 

If you haven’t given Baker’s a chane yet or it has been awhile, give it a try. 

On 10/6/2018 at 4:14 PM, smokinjoe said:

I haven't had Baker's in years partly because I first tasted it in my JDB-is-the-best days so remembered it as being "raw" and now because I rarely see it in bar offerings and the store prices on the KCs are more conducive to impulse buying.  I have some shelf space available so thanks, you all, for the nudge to revisit now that I'm older and wiser.B)

14 hours ago, GaryT said:

Bakers Barrel Pick . . . I hate to admit how aroused those three words may have gotten me.  Yeah . . . that would be pretty awesome.  

You and me both. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I haven't had Baker's in years partly because I first tasted it in my JDB-is-the-best days so remembered it as being "raw" and now because I rarely see it in bar offerings and the store prices on the KCs are more conducive to impulse buying.  I have some shelf space available so thanks, you all, for the nudge to revisit now that I'm older and wiser.B)

I am very curious to hear your thoughts. Our taste buddies generally vote the same outside of a few outliers (looking at you OF sig). The proof and age work for me. 

• I like it 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:36 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

On 10/11/2018 at 11:36 AM, Mako254 said:

I am very curious to hear your thoughts. Our taste buddies generally vote the same outside of a few outliers (looking at you OF sig). The proof and age work for me. 

I bought a bottle today - first one since about 6 months after Beam started the SmB releases (pretty sure it was in 1993 after they'd been out awhile).  I bought one of each back then and gravitated to KC which I can still find here for $23 and to Bookers which I can consistently find here for $60 (although my bunker cost is about $48, and I have several years' supply down there so . . .).  Baker's has been hit or miss on the shelves so I didn't bother since the KC and Bookers were and are readily available.  Two of the more than 6, less than 10, places I frequent had it, and the prices were all just shy of $50.

Anyway, opened it and tasted it neat.  In spite of the heat, plenty of ripe fruit (apple, pear, cherry) and a back-of-the-mouth mix of spices blended nicely as I sipped.  The longer it sat there between sips, the more complex the mix became, and the heat turned itself down.  Several hours later, I added one small ice cube to a new 2 OZ. pour, taking the proof down to about 100.  SO SMOOTH I sucked it down without noticing.

Bottom line - It is hard to believe KC and Bookers - and now Baker's - are kin to JBW.  I have just added another offering to my too-big rotation.  Like OGD 114, Baker's @ 107 allows me to play with proof to fit my mood.  AND, it differs from KC and Bookers and OGD BIB/114 enough that I can switch around.  As a great SBer's tag line says: So many bourbons, so little time. 

• I like it 7

Update. Still haven’t made it by to see my store guy but I did attend the great American whiskey fair last night here in Columbia SC. 

I was shooting the bull with the Beam rep (I got in on a friends vendor badge) and I asked him about Baker’s barrels. He was kinda dodgy but did say Baker’s will be getting a rebrand very soon. Hope the ‘aged 7 years’ is part of jt. 

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I was shooting the bull with the Beam rep (I got in on a friends vendor badge) and I asked him about Baker’s barrels. He was kinda dodgy but did say Baker’s will be getting a rebrand very soon. Hope the ‘aged 7 years’ is part of jt. 

You just brought to mind another discussion from the GBS pick with the Beam guy.  At that time (September 2015) they said the Baker’s sales were very low (I’m remembering something like 6 or 8 thousand cases total per year??.), and that they were working on a soon to be released “rebranding”, new packaging, etc.        Like anything in life, the best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men go astray...  

11 hours ago, Mako254 said:

It seems to be disappearing here in Europe slowly, the normal places I go to have long sold out and not restocked so this could well be the reason!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.