Another Basil Hayden Line extension... 10 year

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can't wait for the $100 price tag.

(No, I have no info. Just cynical guessing.)

• I like it 3

Who knows to their credit all of the BH releases (at least in the markets I shop in) have been the same price $40-$50ish

I wanna know where the 107 proof, single barrel for private selection BH is that we heard about when picking at Beam a few years back.  I was all geeked up about that. 

The extra age won't hurt it, but the 80 proof doesn't get me excited.

• I like it 2

so they dropped the age statement a few years ago just to bring out an older release...I'll pick one up as Basil is a pour I often give to people who are new to bourbon...assuming it isn't crazy priced.

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

On 10/10/2018 at 4:20 PM, kevinbrink said:

Interesting that they listed BOTH distilleries - Frankfort (14 where OGD is made) and good old Clermont (230).  Does JB usually list them both even if not called for?  BH IIRC is ALL OGD mash bill from Frankfort.  Will this be a mix?

19 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Interesting that they listed BOTH distilleries - Frankfort (14 where OGD is made) and good old Clermont (230).  Does JB usually list them both even if not called for?  BH IIRC is ALL OGD mash bill from Frankfort.  Will this be a mix?

Hmmmmm.   Good question, Harry.    Gotta wonder.     I can't imagine another good reason for using TWO DSP #'s...

14 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmmmm.   Good question, Harry.    Gotta wonder.     I can't imagine another good reason for using TWO DSP #'s...

Well, while wondering, I did an advanced search on the ttb COLA public registry and determined that Beam seems to list BOTH distilleries on EVERY KSB application.  Hence, I guess they list them both just in case . . .

Unless some SBer has visited Beam's Frankfort and heard otherwise, I'm betting OGD (and BH) is only made there.

EDIT - Whatever, Id try at least one BH 80 proof 10YO.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, while wondering, I did an advanced search on the ttb COLA public registry and determined that Beam seems to list BOTH distilleries on EVERY KSB application.  Hence, I guess they list them both just in case . . .

Unless some SBer has visited Beam's Frankfort and heard otherwise, I'm betting OGD (and BH) is only made there.

OGD lists both as well at least this bottle of 86 proof does.

y4mo2Xs_Jy6AkWqpb8tYCH6u-Q1USw6ecx3ens_c

25 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

OGD lists both as well at least this bottle of 86 proof does.

y4mo2Xs_Jy6AkWqpb8tYCH6u-Q1USw6ecx3ens_c

Pure speculation: distilled in Frankfort but bottled in Clermont?

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Pure speculation: distilled in Frankfort but bottled in Clermont?

According to the back of an orange cap BIB bottle the opposite, distilled at 230 and bottled at 14

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^
Are they currently distilling ANYTHING at Frankfort?

Sorry - pretty sure I got it backwards and Frankfort is storage and bottling only.  According to a nice news release in NOV 2016 by WAVE Channel 3 in Frankfort, Beam opened a huge rackhouse in Frankfort near its bottling line.  Beam's Frankfort facility GM is quoted.  The story lists its distilleries as in Clermont (Bullitt County) and Boston (Nelson County), KY.  Full PR here:  http://www.wave3.com/story/33632517/beam-suntory-opens-new-bourbon-warehouse-in-frankfort/

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

...would be fun to splash into OGD114 to proof it down a little and add a little oak depth...

...but at its probable price point it probably won't make sense.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

...would be fun to splash into OGD114 to proof it down a little and add a little oak depth...

I totally agree with you on this one, TBT! 

I already had a similar thought, and also decided the cost factor would make such an experiment tough to justify. 

What I will do though, is add an ounce or so to a couple ounces of 114 just to scratch that itch and see. 

Gary left me a sample bottle of the new BH, so I'll taste a bit of it, then try this with the rest.    I'll let you know what I think.

• I like it 1

On 12/28/2018 at 12:03 PM, The Black Tot said:

As promised, I DID do this mini-mingle, and allowed it rest in a covered glencairn for close to 3-full days before doing the taste-test. 

I must preface the following by saying that my taste buddies may have been a bit strange at the time, but, maybe not, since the couple small warm-up pours I did in advance of the trial seemed to be exactly what I expected....

Anyway, I wasn't all that impressed with the mini-mingle, though it did proof down the 114, and add a little breadth with a very tiny oak note.    Overall, my enjoyment wasn't significantly increased over regular 114, which I do like quite well.

One of the reasons I mentioned the taste buddies was that after the mini-mingle I also tried a couple other samples Gary had left for me; Booker's "Kitchen Table", and Booker's 30th Anniversary.    Both of these seemed somewhat "un-Booker's-like" to me.    I generally find Booker's to be caramel-forward, and somewhat-to-quite sweet.     Neither of these was in that vein for me yesterday.

If you want my (possibly skewed) tasting notes, PM me, and I'll peck 'em out and send 'em along; though as I said, they may be a little off the mark.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

If you want my (possibly skewed) tasting notes, PM me, and I'll peck 'em out and send 'em along; though as I said, they may be a little off the mark.

You're a great man to drink vicariously through, Rich. Almost feel like I was there myself. Will PM you tonight.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, GaryT said:

I wanna know where the 107 proof, single barrel for private selection BH is that we heard about when picking at Beam a few years back.  I was all geeked up about that. 

The extra age won't hurt it, but the 80 proof doesn't get me excited.

Same here.    The problem with BH and its line extensions has always been the same for me: bourbon is not best when drank at a mere 80 proof.  

• I like it 1

• 5 weeks later...

Picked one up as well as I want to support age statements whenever I can.  First impressions are that this would probably be an amazing whiskey at 90+ proof, but at 80 it is just too thin.  A splash of 114 into the glass helped tremendously.  Also tried a sort of reverse GW4G with OWA and BH10, but was quite disappointed with the result.

Should have done this as a BiB (100p) 10y. Im sure BH is not moving very fast and they have some older barrels that they needed to do something with. There is no doubt that a 100p 10y BH would be very good, but they are sticking with tradition....

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Should have done this as a BiB (100p) 10y. Im sure BH is not moving very fast and they have some older barrels that they needed to do something with. There is no doubt that a 100p 10y BH would be very good, but they are sticking with tradition....

I don't see a day when BH is bottled at anything other than 80 proof, if they did a higher proof they would probably make it an Old Grand Dad product or something else like when they did the High Rye Beam Signature Craft (this of course may have been a different mashbill and yeast).  I would also guess that of Beams premium range BH is one of the faster movers, it's not really a product for the enthusiast community, it's for people that want their bourbon smooth and there is certainly a place in the market for that. For some perspective WT created Longbranch to directly compete with BH, hard to imagine they would try to compete with a struggling product. 

• I like it 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, kevinbrink said:

I don't see a day when BH is bottled at anything other than 80 proof, if they did a higher proof they would probably make it an Old Grand Dad product or something else like when they did the High Rye Beam Signature Craft (this of course may have been a different mashbill and yeast).  I would also guess that of Beams premium range BH is one of the faster movers, it's not really a product for the enthusiast community, it's for people that want their bourbon smooth and there is certainly a place in the market for that. For some perspective WT created Longbranch to directly compete with BH, hard to imagine they would try to compete with a struggling product. 

Mmmmmm, a 10y, 114p OGD, sounds good. It probably moves good, I forget about the Bars. Just seems odd that they would put a 10y (80p anything) on the market. 

1 minute ago, LCWoody said:

Mmmmmm, a 10y, 114p OGD, sounds good. It probably moves good, I forget about the Bars. Just seems odd that they would put a 10y (80p anything) on the market. 

At 80 proof they are maximizing profits pretty well! 

Capture.PNG

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.