Fun with TTB COLA's Online

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, kevinbrink said:

And here's a musically themed 12 year old bourbon listed as straight though it's a blend of Tennessee sourced and Kentucky sourced.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18300001000054

That one's another rock-star generated whiskey. Neil Giraldo is Pat Benatar's husband and guitarist.

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I’ve had the whiskey from one of those wheated barrels from HH when it was 16yrs old.  It’s really good.

• I like it 2

That 18 year HH wheater sounds awesome. Will likely never get a chance to try it, but I love HH's 18-23 year products and like their wheaters (Rebel Yell 10, Old Fitz) more than the usual unicorns (Pappy etc).

Also a little surprising to see a new Bulliet 12 year rye, surprising in that I didn't expect MGP to have enough 12 year old stock to put out a product like this. Would have loved 100+ proof but hey, if I can actually find this at a store I'll pick one up.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

If this means a 12yr MGP at typical premium Bulleit prices it'll be a steal.

Well the label says  92 proof 12 Year 95/5 MGP so the only unknown is availability and price.

Edited by kevinbrink

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

And here I thought that they couldn’t make anything worse. I appreciate them showing me how much I underestimated them.

Perhaps, they’re thinking less is more.  Their 4 Grain was possibly the worst whiskey I have ever tasted.  So, not as wretched if they can only F-Up 3 grains?   :D 

On 11/20/2018 at 1:54 AM, mosugoji64 said:

That one's another rock-star generated whiskey. Neil Giraldo is Pat Benatar's husband and guitarist.

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" takes on a whole new meaning.

• I like it 6

@fosmith fairly certain the batch codes like the proof and the age are subject to change, maybe the batch 2 is actually batch 2 but just a guess really. 

If the proof on the label is what this will be sold at it's an odd choice to make to go 80 proof and Non Chill Filtered seems like you are aiming at opposite ends of the market, but honestly who hasn't had a bottle that is dripping with Kentucky pride and a Horse on the bottle that wasn't good.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18310001000822

This feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=18305001000479

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

If the proof on the label is what this will be sold at it's an odd choice to make to go 80 proof and Non Chill Filtered seems like you are aiming at opposite ends of the market, but honestly who hasn't had a bottle that is dripping with Kentucky pride and a Horse on the bottle that wasn't good.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18310001000822

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=18305001000479

Interestingly, it only says "Straight Bourbon Whiskey" not "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey."   

57 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

RE: the lawsuit - I noted that the label image had "NGON BISTRO" on it so did a quick search.  Ngon Bistro in St. Paul, Minnesota, is a Vietnamese restaurant which features craft beers.  Pure guessing here -- this is a vanity bottled/labeling for use in the restaurant.  Also, the name "Khanh" rang a bell in the deep recesses of my mind, so I searched for it, too.  "Khanh" is a somewhat common name in Vietnam, and the specific memory I drudged up is this one (from Wiki, of course):

Nguyễn Khánh

Military Officer
Nguyễn Khánh was a South Vietnamese military officer and Army of the Republic of Vietnam general who served in various capacities as head of state and prime minister of South Vietnam while at the head of a military junta from January 1964 until February 1965. He was involved in or against many coup attempts, failed and successful, from 1960 until his defea…

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

RE: the lawsuit - I noted that the label image had "NGON BISTRO" on it so did a quick search.  Ngon Bistro in St. Paul, Minnesota, is a Vietnamese restaurant which features craft beers.  Pure guessing here -- this is a vanity bottled/labeling for use in the restaurant.  Also, the name "Khanh" rang a bell in the deep recesses of my mind, so I searched for it, too.  "Khanh" is a somewhat common name in Vietnam, and the specific memory I drudged up is this one (from Wiki, of course):

Nguyễn Khánh

Military Officer
Nguyễn Khánh was a South Vietnamese military officer and Army of the Republic of Vietnam general who served in various capacities as head of state and prime minister of South Vietnam while at the head of a military junta from January 1964 until February 1965. He was involved in or against many coup attempts, failed and successful, from 1960 until his defea…

All of that in consideration, if BT can block Wilderness Trace it would seem the outfit bottling all of the Star Trek Spirits might not like this, but considering that it's likely a very small and targeted release it probably wouldn't lead to much more than a cease and desist maybe?

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

All of that in consideration, if BT can block Wilderness Trace it would seem the outfit bottling all of the Star Trek Spirits might not like this, but considering that it's likely a very small and targeted release it probably wouldn't lead to much more than a cease and desist maybe?

Heaven Hill successfully stopped the Old Nick Williams Distillery here in NC from using that name (even though the owners are the direct descendants of Nick Williams who owned the last functioning distillery in NC) due to the similarity to Evan Williams. They were forced to switch the name of their bourbon and white whiskey from Nick Williams to Old Nick.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

A good, law school trademark exam question.  Does adding an "h" and then pointing to a real person sufficiently distinguish this product's images from the (as far as we know fictitious) character played by Ricardo Montalban?  Does your answer change if "Wrath of" is dropped altogether but Khanh is kept?  Does it change if "Wrath" is changed to "Wraith"?  Extra credit: does keeping the image of a little girl instead of using the image of a runamok space lord make a difference? I've drafted a few bread-and-butter letters ("Can you guys make a few changes so we don't have to get snotty???") and have seen a few snotty, threatening letters (as per bdanner's comment; I've never written one as I don't like writing meanly) so I, too, wonder if somebody related to Star Trek's current owners will say something if only to "protect" their trademark with a figleaf.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

...They were forced to switch the name of their bourbon and white whiskey from Nick Williams to Old Nick.

...Where they were promptly sued by Willett...  :D

• I like it 3

27 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

...Where they were promptly sued by Willett...  :D

Yeah I would assume Olde St. Nick is a TM here, but maybe not? 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.