Fun with TTB COLA's Online

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

What does Coffin Varnish even mean.  I thought the label would have a little more detail.

In the old west, booze was often adulterated and Coffin Varnish was a term used to describe it.  Why any brand would want that associated with their current whiskey is beyond me.

5 hours ago, wadewood said:

In the old west, booze was often adulterated and Coffin Varnish was a term used to describe it.  Why any brand would want that associated with their current whiskey is beyond me.

It’s not exactly making me thirsty. 

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

That Bluff Springs shows a pretty uninspiring label (IMO).    Does anyone know if this a heritage brand, or a newly minted one?

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

I see no age statements so at least 4 years old. Any guesses on MSRP?

Well if 2 year old Rye is $130 then 4 year old bourbon should be $200, seems reasonable................................................

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Well if 2 year old Rye is $130 then 4 year old bourbon should be $200, seems reasonable................................................

Rye is always pricier.  My guess is they price this identical to the rye, so around $130.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Interesting that the Woodford is actually a four grain. I don't think I've ever seen that before. It's possible the other well known wheat whiskies have rye in them, I just haven't thought to investigate.

It also says "produced by" on the label instead of distilled. I don't know why they do that.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

It also says "produced by" on the label instead of distilled. I don't know why they do that.

Probably because it is really distilled at the BF OF plant and not at Woodford.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, wadewood said:

Probably because it is really distilled at the BF OF plant and not at Woodford.

That was my first guess as well.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

That was my first guess as well.

I tried to PM you, Steve and got stopped with a message saying you couldn't receive messages....     Comment?

To everybody else:

Sorry for the thread drift.   Carry on.

10 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I tried to PM you, Steve and got stopped with a message saying you couldn't receive messages....     Comment?

To everybody else:

Maybe my inbox is full. Will investigate. 

35 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

To everybody else:

Yep - it was full. I cleared out some old messages so try again.

Believe this would be the first release solely from Bardstown Bourbon Company (Collabor&tion being a joint release with C&K)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18362001000149

Wine Cask Finished 10yr BP MGP

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18297001000547

Old Pepper Rye looks like their current gift shop bottles

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19015001000515

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Believe this would be the first release solely from Bardstown Bourbon Company (Collabor&tion being a joint release with C&K)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18362001000149

Strange that their first label would be a Tennessee whiskey (Dickel?) instead of their own. I would have guessed that they'd save their own brand for house-made whiskey.

• I like it 1

Strange that their first label would be a Tennessee whiskey (Dickel?) instead of their own. I would have guessed that they'd save their own brand for house-made whiskey.

Oh, I can almost guarantee you it was originally sourced from Dickel. As you well know, they still don’t have any bourbon distillate old enough to include in any bottling at this point, but they’ve got a fancy new facility to pay for, so they gotta do what they gotta do! I wonder how much the 18 months of finishing is going to add to the price of that Dickel? I bet it’ll be priced at $100 or more.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I got to try that 100% malted rye a couple years ago at about 2 years old and it was damn good. Even the new make is good.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, flahute said:

I got to try that 100% malted rye a couple years ago at about 2 years old and it was damn good. Even the new make is good.

So far I've been impressed with what I've had from New Riff (albeit only two bottles and both bourbons) so I'm game to try whatever they put out.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

So far I've been impressed with what I've had from New Riff (albeit only two bottles and both bourbons) so I'm game to try whatever they put out.

If it helps you decide, Jim Rutledge was impressed by it as well.

• I like it 1

Just now, flahute said:

If it helps you decide, Jim Rutledge was impressed by it as well.

Interesting I assume he has a relationship with Larry Ebersold from their time together at Seagrams?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.