Fun with TTB COLA's Online

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Interesting I assume he has a relationship with Larry Ebersold from their time together at Seagrams?

He did some contract distilling at New Riff (not sure if he still is). He does have a relationship with Larry.

I was lucky enough to tour New Riff with Jim and one of his business partners. Jay Erisman showed us around and introduced us to all the staff. After the tour he took us into the lab and had us taste a whole bunch of stuff. That's when my eyes were opened to that 100% malted rye.

• I like it 2

Already discussed but the label approval for Four Roses Small Batch Select showed up online today:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19016001000616

A refile for KC CS Rye 2010 distilled

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18355001000149

On 2/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, kevinbrink said:

So far I've been impressed with what I've had from New Riff (albeit only two bottles and both bourbons) so I'm game to try whatever they put out.

Same here. I have 4 bottles of the same barrel so I only have 1 experience with them, but based on how much I love it, they have moved very high in my future purchase pecking order. 

I missed it looking at the label but SKU pointed out on Twitter that it is 2005 vintage Dickel BIB.

I missed it looking at the label but SKU pointed out on Twitter that it is 2005 vintage Dickel BIB.

Hopefully this will get priced below $60. If so, I’ll probably be a buyer. We’ve been seeing a lot of 9 to 14 year Old Dickel sourced private selection cask strength single barrel bottles showing up from new NDPs in Tennessee within the last year. They’re usually priced from the mid $50 range for the younger aged bottles to around $70 for the older stuff. If you are a Dickel fan like me, these have been excellent!
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Hopefully this will get priced below $60. If so, I’ll probably be a buyer. We’ve been seeing a lot of 9 to 14 year Old Dickel sourced private selection cask strength single barrel bottles showing up from new NDPs in Tennessee within the last year. They’re usually priced from the mid $50 range for the younger aged bottles to around $70 for the older stuff. If you are a Dickel fan like me, these have been excellent!

$34.99 14yo

• I like it 1

$34.99 14yo

I’d be all over that if it’s any good. I do occasionally find some KCSiB PS around that age for close to that price, but haven’t seen any 14yo Dickel sourced distillate for that cheap. Are these some dusty old Dickel single barrel bottles you’ve found at one of your honey holes?

54 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I’d be all over that if it’s any good. I do occasionally find some KCSiB PS around that age for close to that price, but haven’t seen any 14yo Dickel sourced distillate for that cheap. Are these some dusty old Dickel single barrel bottles you’ve found at one of your honey holes?

No, that’s the word on the forthcoming BIB— my dusty oasis finally ran dry. The PS 14yo releases were scarce in the first place. 

• I like it 1

No, that’s the word on the forthcoming BIB— my dusty oasis finally ran dry. The PS 14yo releases were scarce in the first place. 

Wow! That’s a much better price than I was anticipating given the current bourbon marketplace and pricing patterns. I’ll be a buyer for sure at that price range.

44 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! That’s a much better price than I was anticipating given the current bourbon marketplace and pricing patterns. I’ll be a buyer for sure at that price range.

Agreed— should be the perfect storm of proof, price and proper maturation.

• I like it 2

14-years old, 100-proof?   Even if it IS Dickel, I'd take a bottle home for $35.   Never been able to very far past that vitamin pill over-taste; but at these specs I'll give it another try.   ...If I see it.  ...Won't search, though.

• I like it 1

14-years old, 100-proof?   Even if it IS Dickel, I'd take a bottle home for $35.   Never been able to very far past that vitamin pill over-taste; but at these specs I'll give it another try.   ...If I see it.  ...Won't search, though.

Rich, I bet you’ve had some NDP stuff that I’ve brought to the gazebo at the GN and didn’t know it was Dickel. Anyway, I’ll bring a couple older Dickel sourced ones in April and let you see what you think. I’m not saying that the Dickel profile is completely absent, but with the older stuff, you’ve got to really search to find it sometimes.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Rich, I bet you’ve had some NDP stuff that I’ve brought to the gazebo at the GN and didn’t know it was Dickel. Anyway, I’ll bring a couple older Dickel sourced ones in April and let you see what you think. I’m not saying that the Dickel profile is completely absent, but with the older stuff, you’ve got to really search to find it sometimes.

Ya know, Jeff......you could perhaps be called SB's Dickel Whore, but that just sounds really, really wrong..... :blink: :D

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

Ya know, Jeff......you could perhaps be called SB's Dickel Whore, but that just sounds really, really wrong..... :blink: [emoji3]

LOL! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
You’re probably right, Gary...although there are occasions when the Dickel taste profile doesn’t suit my palate either, but that’s mostly with the younger aged No.12. However, I usually enjoy No.12, and I will generally have multiple pours on the nights I decide to have it. I don’t drink the No.8 at all since it’s just too young, but I am fond of Dickel when it’s got some good age on it, and a lot of that has been hitting the shelves through many different NDPs lately. I’m glad Dickel has finally decided to bottle some of the older stuff themselves again.

That Dickel is exciting news! But I also take a deep sniff out of my vitamin pill bottle every morning, so what do I know...

• I like it 1

An interesting one, botted Old Fashioned that calls out Knob Creek as the rye used, not bottled by Beam

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18338001000921

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Taster's Barrel Proof Rye

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19023001000121

An interesting Bourbon Mashbill of 99% Corn 1% Malted Barley

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19014001000079

Bardstown Bourbon Co Fusion a blend of sourced and house distilled

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19030001000926

and Discovery a blend of multiple sourced KY Bourbons

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19030001000905

100 proof Westland Celebrious (guessing this might be their April Fools whiskey time will tell)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19008001000332

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Generally speaking Straight Bourbon is distilled from a Bourbon Mash.....

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19009001000490

These jags should rename their operation, “Douchecanoe”.   

Here’s their “Philosophy”:

PHILOSOPHY

The space we inhabit is being created every day. There is a vision for the line of that garment, the angle of that light. There is an evolution of each moment where the opportunity for ‘better’ exists. You understand what distinguishes the crafted. You appreciate the difference. And so do we. 

The Modern Townsman is Bob McLean designing a rear to front chassis for the foundation of the Corvette. He is Joseph Strauss, leaving a company that rejected his designs, forming a new operation, and revolutionizing the construction of the bascule bridge. He is every one of you that endeavor to reinvent the experience of your city or town and unrelentingly pursue the inimitable. 

OPPIDAN. FOR THE MODERN TOWNSMAN.

• I like it 3

Just now, EarthQuake said:

I'm confused, isn't anything over 80% corn technically a Corn Whiskey and not Bourbon?

Any mashbill over 51% corn is bourbon as long as it follows all the other rules new oak container etc... Corn Whiskey also if aged must be aged in used cooperage.

• I like it 1

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Any mashbill over 51% corn is bourbon as long as it follows all the other rules new oak container etc... Corn Whiskey also if aged must be aged in used cooperage.

Okay thanks, I just read a little more on it and it looks like Corn Whiskey must be at least 80% (plus be unaged or aged in used oak as you mention), but Bourbon over 80% is not necessarily Corn Whiskey and of course must use new oak.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

These jags should rename their operation, “Douchecanoe”.   

Here’s their “Philosophy”:

PHILOSOPHY

The space we inhabit is being created every day. There is a vision for the line of that garment, the angle of that light. There is an evolution of each moment where the opportunity for ‘better’ exists. You understand what distinguishes the crafted. You appreciate the difference. And so do we. 

The Modern Townsman is Bob McLean designing a rear to front chassis for the foundation of the Corvette. He is Joseph Strauss, leaving a company that rejected his designs, forming a new operation, and revolutionizing the construction of the bascule bridge. He is every one of you that endeavor to reinvent the experience of your city or town and unrelentingly pursue the inimitable. 

OPPIDAN. FOR THE MODERN TOWNSMAN.

Joe - I think the 2 year age statement makes up for all the douchery :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.