Fun with TTB COLA's Online

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ew....Uh...If that is going to be it, then....never mind.  :D

At retail I might have been intrigued, MSPR was $70

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I think we all know a certain SB moderator will have a difficult time standing up after seeing this...…...

• I like it 5

The last Old Charter Oak (Mongolian Oak) came and went so fast I saw one bottle and it was priced at $1000, dulls the excitement for me.

Huh? Why would people do this, it’s 12 year 90 proof whiskey, that’s supposed to retail for under $70.

14 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Huh? Why would people do this, it’s 12 year 90 proof whiskey, that’s supposed to retail for under $70.

Literally the only US result on WineSearcher Pro, there is one other at $59.99 but it's been a dead link https://www.westchesterwine.com/sku25088_OLD-CHARTER-OAK-750ML

53 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

At retail I might have been intrigued, MSPR was $70

$70?  If that’s what it will be...never mind my never mind...  :D

19 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Pretty sure I posted this one a few pages back but this probably isn't the easiest thread to sift through, this showed up in NY last week, most stores were $40 but one was $37, I'll probably wait until it hits NJ to grab one, either that or I'll just cave and buy one next week. :D 

This is true; you did.  I neglected to link it. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This is true; you did.  I neglected to link it. 

As an FYI rereading my post it read a little snippy nothing of the sort was intended. 

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

As an FYI rereading my post it read a little snippy nothing of the sort was intended. 

Is OK - I didn't take it that way as I don't THINK you can tell which TTB filing will actually result in a real product.  I got a link to the F&W article from a relative who subscribes to F&W, and after I read the article and saw Legent was being released  8 March, I did a search on SB for "Legent" and got no hits in topics or body.  OF COURSE!  It was in the TTB link you posted.  Nevertheless, I was so intrigued that I posted the details including MSRP which the TTB approval didn't include.  I am still interested @ $35 which is certainly cheaper than Hibiki @ $90 or Booker's @ $70.:D

• I like it 2

On 3/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, kevinbrink said:

I'm still learning the ropes here... how long does it typically take for a bottle to release after it has been approved here? I know we have a date for the OF, I'm interested in that 140 proof HH though! ECBP is proof (pun intended) that HH can produce a great BP

1 minute ago, pouringwhiskey said:

I'm still learning the ropes here... how long does it typically take for a bottle to release after it has been approved here? I know we have a date for the OF, I'm interested in that 140 proof HH though! ECBP is proof (pun intended) that HH can produce a great BP

There is no standard, in fact some bottles never actually materialize.  

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

There is no standard, in fact some bottles never actually materialize.  

Oh wow, good to know, thanks! 

I look at these the same way I look at technology patents. There are some crazy ones that are registered every day that’ll never come to life. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Supercharger said:

I look at these the same way I look at technology patents. There are some crazy ones that are registered every day that’ll never come to life. 

In fairness most of the TTB label submissions do in fact materialize, considerably higher odds than tech patents.

• I like it 2

45 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

In fairness most of the TTB label submissions do in fact materialize, considerably higher odds than tech patents.

Filing a patent application doesn't necessarily mean you intend to manufacture anything (there are other ways to make money from a patent). I assume that you have to actually apply the TTB approved label to something to realize any financial benefit.

• I like it 2

On 3/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Vosgar said:

I think we all know a certain SB moderator will have a difficult time standing up after seeing this...…...

I'm more worried if we'll have a difficult time sitting down, after we find out what the MSRP is.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm more worried if we'll have a difficult time sitting down, after we find out what the MSRP is.

“Well played sir” is often overused, but I’m using it here! Well played sir!

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

LOL

Edit: Laughing while typing; spilled some HMcK. dammit.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
large spill
  • I like it 1

On 3/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Beam/Suntory is releasing "Legent" this week.  It is an 86 proof blend of a 5 YO Beam basic mash bill bourbon with dollops of Beam bourbon finished for two years in sherry casks and of Beam bourbon finished for a year in CAL red wine casks, the mix sitting in a tun for another month.  Fred Noe and Suntory's chief whisky blender, Shinji Fukuyo, worked on this.  MSRP is $35.  ALL my info comes from:

https://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails-spirits/legent-bourbon-beam-suntory-review

and the TTB notice: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=18290001000629

And, if I see one, I will buy one.  The persons responsible for Baker's, Booker's, Hibiki, and Yamazaki deserve at least ONE chance at satisfying me.

Montgomery County MD lists Legent today as MSRP $31.99 BUT has none in stock.  I therefore expect it will hit shelves in MoCo in the next month based on conversations with my local MoCo purveyor, BUT not every store will get some so check the website.  I got blank stares at my usual WashDC stores.

• I like it 2

4-5 year old Garrison Brothers Balmorhea Bourbon at Cask Strength

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19063001001164

If you get a bad case of Balmorhea, do you kick yourself for spending too much, or go get a shot of penicillin?  

Ba-Dum-Bump....psssshhhhh

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.