Jack Daniel's Legacy Edition

BDanner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For those of you who have wanted to try Jack at its old proof of 86, they have just released a "Legacy Edition" special release. Saw it on the shelf last week in NC for $30.

jack-daniels-legacy-500x617.png

Edited by BDanner

13 minutes ago, BDanner said:

For those of you who have wanted to try Jack at its old proof of 86, they have just released a "Legacy Edition" special release. Saw it on the shelf last week in NC for $30.

jack-daniels-legacy-500x617.png

I feel like they keep doing this and just changing the packaging, the did an anniversary edition a couple years ago as well as the Red Dog Saloon bottle that were both 86 proof, there were probably some others I'm forgetting as well. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I feel like they keep doing this and just changing the packaging, the did an anniversary edition a couple years ago as well as the Red Dog Saloon bottle that were both 86 proof, there were probably some others I'm forgetting as well. 

One of life's disappointments is discovering a new online store that has 8 pages of bourbon listed, only to find pages 2-6 are taken up by various Jack bottlings... 

• I like it 1

I did pick one up for old times' sake because JDB @ 90 proof was what I started with (after moving on from Mateus Rose and Ripple and Carling Black Label beer).  Moved on from JDB to cocktails when the proof dropped to 80.   The banana ester I've tasted in ANY JD below 90 is present here, too.  Ah, well.  Jack and Coke, here I come.

EDIT - I absolutely love the JD barrel proofs, however, AND the OF pre-prohibition series (especially the 1897 BIB) just to be fair to B-F.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
To be fair . . .
  • I like it 2

I'm wondering about the "distilled from selected grain and cave spring water" on the label. When I think of caves, I think of bats. When there's bats, there's bat shit. Therefore, there's a good chance bat shit is in that cave spring water. Could that be what causes the banana flavor so many of us pick up with JD? Nancy.....can you help me out with what potential flavor profile bat shit could bring to whiskey?

Edited by Vosgar

I'm wondering about the "distilled from selected grain and cave spring water" on the label. When I think of caves, I think of bats. When there's bats, there's bat shit. Therefore, there's a good chance bat shit is in that cave spring water. Could that be what causes the banana flavor so many of us pick up with JD? Nancy.....can you help me out with what potential flavor profile bat shit could bring to whiskey?

As I recall, the cave isn’t that big, and the water is drawn from the spring at the source deep in the cave. So, I don’t think that is the source of any banana flavor. [emoji3]

Stay tuned for more. :huh:  JD will also be releasing what appears to be an annual limited editition bottling starting this fall. It’s called “Tennessee Tasters”, and this years edition will be bottled at 107 proof. :o

Biba! Joe

22 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Stay tuned for more. :huh:  JD will also be releasing what appears to be an annual limited editition bottling starting this fall. It’s called “Tennessee Tasters”, and this years edition will be bottled at 107 proof. :o

Biba! Joe

THX for the head's up.

I'm actually fairly interested in trying the "Heritage Barrel" Single barrel that's coming out, heavily toasted barrels with an entry proof of 100 and bottled at 100 proof. Saw it on the shelf in a NY store at $75 but waiting until it shows up in NJ since it looks like it will be mid $60's here. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty attractive packaging I have to say (the OP, not the Tennessee Tasters above) and it arrives just in time for Christmas with the appropriate colors for the season.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 10:46 PM, Vosgar said:

The cave is basically an opening for the spring, not big enough to accommodate bats. The banana notes you get from Jack comes from the yeast strain they use

• 3 weeks later...
On October 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM, kevinbrink said:

I'm actually fairly interested in trying the "Heritage Barrel" Single barrel that's coming out, heavily toasted barrels with an entry proof of 100 and bottled at 100 proof. Saw it on the shelf in a NY store at $75 but waiting until it shows up in NJ since it looks like it will be mid $60's here. 

Save your money and get the Barrel proof instead. I spent 65 on the heritage. It tastes ok, but more like a 35$ bottle

Edited by RWBadley

6 hours ago, RWBadley said:

Save your money and get the Barrel proof instead. I spent 65 on the heritage. It tastes ok, but more like a 35$ bottle

I picked it up and think it is very, very good.

Yes it is quite good, I liked the flavors that developed over time especially. My disappointment was mostly due to Linda not liking it (and she has a pretty good palate), but also it seemed to me it could have used a bit more time aging to knock off some of the rough edges. We SBS at one point with an H McKenna 10 (different animal yes) and found at that price point of 35$ a value the 65$ JD Heritage didn't quite offer.

I found the 130 or so barrel proof JD for the same $65 price to not only offer better value,  but to take a small cube of ice better, and  also it didn't have quite so much of that youngish heat that seemed (at least initially) a distraction in the Heritage.

Having said that- over time the Heritage does open up pretty well, and offers a little different take on the classic JD. In a way, it did resemble some old stock pre 1963 JD I once had pleasure to try. I'll need to  drink the bottle down a bit and see if it changes it's tune a little- as my initial thoughts were based on the first couple pours.

Cheers,

RW

Edited by RWBadley

4 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Yes it is quite good, I liked the flavors that developed over time especially. My disappointment was mostly due to Linda not liking it (and she has a pretty good palate), but also it seemed to me it could have used a bit more time aging to knock off some of the rough edges. We SBS at one point with an H McKenna 10 (different animal yes) and found at that price point of 35$ a value the 65$ JD Heritage didn't quite offer.

I found the 130 or so barrel proof JD for the same $65 price to not only offer better value,  but to take a small cube of ice better, and  also it didn't have quite so much of that youngish heat that seemed (at least initially) a distraction in the Heritage.

Having said that- over time the Heritage does open up pretty well, and offers a little different take on the classic JD. In a way, it did resemble some old stock pre 1963 JD I once had pleasure to try. I'll need to  drink the bottle down a bit and see if it changes it's tune a little- as my initial thoughts were based on the first couple pours.

Cheers,

RW

I've had a few JD BP's that were really really great but the one i have a the moment is a Hot Charcoal Banana Mess, which I suppose might be just the nature of Single Barrels, the same may of course be true of the JD Heritage SiB in that they are bound to have a some variation. I don't really go with ice much but I do tend to add a little water from time to time which I haven't done with the Heritage Barrel yet as I like it enough neat that I haven't been compelled to add water. 

I tend to use either a little water or a 2x2" ice cube for the barrel proof. The big cube works great as it doesn't melt too fast and gives a very long sweet spot from about ten minutes in to about 40 minutes out before getting too diluted, and by then it's gone anyway...

Ah Yes as a single barrel we could see some differences for sure. Same with the JDBP's we might have. I have one (of the two JDBP) that is a stunner with the other one being merely very good.

I remember getting a bottle of Rebel Yell 10 yo that was so good last year I cleared the shelf of all with that same barrel # . I found an extra two for the bunker...

Cheers,

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.