Four Roses

foppa78
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm still fairly new to all bourbon not named Maker's Mark. I really want to try the 4R single barrel but am still a little confused about it. I've seen 1 store pick (OBSV) and everything else is just the normal single barrel. If it isn't a store pick, are there 8 different offerings of the single barrel? Will there be one of those 4 letter codes on the non-store picks? I don't know why but I guess I'm a little intimidated by this one and am wondering where to start.

Standard 4 roses single barrel is OBSV, store picks choose from any of the ten recipes and are often barrel proof and age stated. 

• I like it 1

4R SiB might not be the best place to start.  The OBSV is a high rye recipe and you might find it to be to hot and spicy, especially if you are used to wheaters.  That was my experience when I first tried it early in my bourbon journey.  I really regretted spending $40 on it.  More recently, after having acquired a taste for rye and higher proofers, I saw a mini at the LS so I thought I'd try it again.  Now I get it.  You might want to go that route or first try the 90 proof small batch.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

Standard 4 roses single barrel is OBSV, store picks choose from any of the ten recipes and are often barrel proof and age stated. 

and delicious...  Enjoy. 

• I like it 1

Blake over at bourbonr made some graphics and they are better than I can explain. 

http://bourbonr.com/blog/four-roses-mash-bill/

The standard ‘four roses single barrel’ that is widely available will always be OBSV at 100 proof. Some stores will pick their own 100 proof OBSV. 

All 10 recipes are available as private selects IE a store, restaurant, or private club can buy the whole barrel. These are single barrel (obviously), cask strength, non chill filtered bourbon (THE good stuff in my opinion). 

So you will see cask strenght OBSV sometimes. Keep in mind, Four Roses does about 50 barrels a month (that may have changed) so finding all 10 recipes takes some effort. 

All that said, I would encourage you to try Four Roses.  There are several ‘cult members’ here on the forum who I’m sure will chime in. 

If you are comfortable with 100 proof bourbon, I’d recommend starting with a standard single barrel. If lower proof, try the small batch or ‘mellow label’ 80 proofer. 

Roses isn’t for everyone but if you like subtle, nuanced bourbon that at the same time has tons of flavor and a lingering finish, try it out. 

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Blake over at bourbonr made some graphics and they are better than I can explain. 

The standard ‘four roses single barrel’ that is widely available will always be OBSV at 100 proof. Some stores will pick their own 100 proof OBSV. 

All 10 recipes are available as private selects IE a store, restaurant, or private club can buy the whole barrel. These are single barrel (obviously), cask strength, non chill filtered bourbon (THE good stuff in my opinion). 

So you will see cask strenght OBSV sometimes. Keep in mind, Four Roses does about 50 barrels a month (that may have changed) so finding all 10 recipes takes some effort. 

All that said, I would encourage you to try Four Roses.  There are several ‘cult members’ here on the forum who I’m sure will chime in. 

If you are comfortable with 100 proof bourbon, I’d recommend starting with a standard single barrel. If lower proof, try the small batch or ‘mellow label’ 80 proofer. 

Roses isn’t for everyone but if you like subtle, nuanced bourbon that at the same time has tons of flavor and a lingering finish, try it out. 

Agreed, it's an entire whiskey world unto itself to explore. I've got a few store picks that are just phenomenal. A few I'm pretty 'meh' about. None bad

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

Agreed, it's an entire whiskey world unto itself to explore. I've got a few store picks that are just phenomenal. A few I'm pretty 'meh' about. None bad

Yep. Even the picks that I like but don’t love are still high quality selections. 

I’ way down the rabbit hole of Roses and Turkey. The different recipes and different Turkey warehouses are enough to keep me occupied. 

• I like it 1

FRSiB are def a little confusing bunch at first, but deelish none the less.  I’m a huge fan myself, but like some have said already, you might want to dabble in the others before the single barrels if you’re not a fan of higher proof stuff.  If you are?  Enjoy my friend...

• I like it 1

You all are great. Thank you for all of the info. I knew I was confused but it is clear that I understood it incorrectly. 4R small batch was my first purchase after drinking nothing but Maker's. Initially, I did not love the 4R small batch and set it aside. Two - three months later I checked back in on it and I really liked it. I've also really enjoyed the high or barrel proof stuff that I have tried so I probably won't shy away from any of the 4R that are higher proof. 

9 hours ago, Mako254 said:

This Bourbonr link was very helpful. Thank you.

37 minutes ago, foppa78 said:

You all are great. Thank you for all of the info. I knew I was confused but it is clear that I understood it incorrectly. 4R small batch was my first purchase after drinking nothing but Maker's. Initially, I did not love the 4R small batch and set it aside. Two - three months later I checked back in on it and I really liked it. I've also really enjoyed the high or barrel proof stuff that I have tried so I probably won't shy away from any of the 4R that are higher proof. 

The single barrels aren’t even close to the small batch IMO.  They’re head & shoulders better.  Find you a store pick of  one of the lower rye OE recipes.  I haven’t met an OE I didn’t like ;)

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 3

FR definitely is a world within itself, however, when you're looking for something different or that has nuances you can't find anywhere else, they're it.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.