What beer are you drinking? (Fall/Winter 2018)

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thought I'd roll this over into a new thread since we're done with summer.  

Biut I'll start with a beer that has serious summer appeal.

IMG_2374.thumb.jpg.2992bfd0baa252477208b7c184b2181e.jpg

I've burned out on the heavy hazy NE IPAs.  This historic brew was definitely developed before the current craze because it has some connection to Pliny and the west coast standard for IPAs.  Tons of honey and floral hops on the nose but the beer hasn't abandoned the bitterness (the sting of the bee)  that's essential for extended imbibing.  Can't believe I'm only just now trying it.  Better late than never!  And perfect while I tend what will probably be the last pork butt of the dying cook-out season.

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 1

On 10/26/2018 at 8:04 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

IMG_2496.JPG
Loving all of the founders barrel aged series !! Well except the dkml

That's the only one I haven't tried so far.  I didn't mind DKML for what it was...but..yeah.  I did NOT like DankWood.  Just picked up a 2018 CBS today.  That will be my Christmas day beer.

Yesterday at 5:00 I enjoyed a 2017 Founders KBS. Today, while basking in the warm sun on a cool day, it’s a Bud in a red solo cup...

Win goes to the Bud.   

Ya know, in general, I’m just not all that fond of the heavy, bourbon barrel aged stouts.  Actually, not big of just about any bourbon barrel aged beer.  Just too sweet for my tastes.  

8344A059-3CFA-45A3-AF08-E9803CDCFD3A.jpeg

21D44BAF-BE41-44BF-90A7-2BF3B596CE36.jpeg

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yesterday at 5:00 I enjoyed a 2017 Founders KBS. Today, while basking in the warm sun on a cool day, it’s a Bud in a red solo cup...

Win goes to the Bud.   

Ya know, in general, I’m just not all that fond of the heavy, bourbon barrel aged stouts.  Actually, not big of just about any bourbon barrel aged beer.  Just too sweet for my tastes.  

They both have their place. On a hot day outside I dont think I'd enjoy a stout as much. However I do love those big, boozy, barrel aged stouts and ales. Had a Founders Better Half last night..So good. Looking forward to opening CBS on Christmas.  BCBS on black Friday. It's a good time of year for stouts. I have a bunch though and can't drink them fast enough. Don't usually have more than 1 at a sitting. 

20181110_184810-784x1613.jpg

We got started on collecting and displaying Dept. 56 “Dicken’s Village” Christmas houses several years ago.  Basically, a very good customer talked me in to buying a few of his duplicates, and I obliged...kind of like when a really good customer asks you to buy his daughters Girl Scout cookies, then drops the nugget that your competitor bought 60 boxes... ;)

Well, we set up a table to display them on.  And, since we host family Thanksgiving, and my sister in law always pipes up with she can’t wait to see the table then...weeeellllll...Iiii’m now obligated to have the thing set up for Thanksgiving...Putting up the homemade table that I built is a bitch, and I just finished.  So rewarding myself with a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold.

Mrssmokinjoe is going to have to do the houses...Sure...10:1 sez I’m under that table some night this week feeding house light cords through the holes....  :(

New Years Resolution:  Learn how to quit being a pansy ass and say NO...  :D

239F93C6-EE59-48F4-B6A8-538C4A7876E8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving!  And what better brew to see you through an afternoon of turkey and football!

IMG_2451.jpg

• I like it 1

Winter Hill Brewing of Somerville, Ryan The Terrible. Smoky rye ale, 6.8% abv. No pic because I deleted it like an idiot.

This is good, I am a big fan of rye beer already, but that smoke combo really works!

Decent selection on tap here while the rest of the family fights the retail crowd. This Great Lakes Christmas Ale is pretty tasty. 56469258407__B09FFB78-6928-4AA6-A112-20B4F7059CB9.JPG

Thanks to a very kind coworker in Boston, she brought some Trillium to me while in town last week.

Good stuff.

IMG_5744.JPG

I've been in a beer mood and decided to take a break from bourbon this week. So far, I have had the 2018 BCS and the 2018 KBS. To me, this years BCS is the best it has been in the last 5 years. Wish I could find more of it. Not sure I am going to have more KBS tomorrow or move on to some Firestone. Cheers everyone.

• I like it 1

I've been in a beer mood and decided to take a break from bourbon this week. So far, I have had the 2018 BCS and the 2018 KBS. To me, this years BCS is the best it has been in the last 5 years. Wish I could find more of it. Not sure I am going to have more KBS tomorrow or move on to some Firestone. Cheers everyone.

Bourbon County Stout is great. But the abv is so much higher than the KBS it’s unfair to judge against.
BCS at 12.3%.
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, elmossle said:

Had an 18 BCS last night. I think it's better this year as well. I was really excited for Midnight Orange also. It's good, but not as good as I expected. Way more bitter orange peel/pith than I expected. I've got a Bramble and a couple Vanilla as well but from what I've been reading I shouldn't have passed on the Wheatwine.

• I like it 2

Opened a Bourbon County Stout last night. It was awful. Am I missing something here? It was just disgustingly sweet. Like someone poured a full cup of brown sugar into a beer. Overwhelming burnt caramel and nothing else. Like maple syrup on lucky charms, it's cloyingly, offensively sweet.

I'm generally a fan of desserty stouts. I think KBS is rather good. Evil Twin does some really nice flavored stouts (Imperial Biscotti Break, Donut Break, etc).

But this BCS? Undrinkable. It makes me wonder if there was something wrong with my bottle, as everyone else seems to love it. It also had very little carbonation, is that normal?

Edited by EarthQuake

8 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Opened a Bourbon County Stout last night. It was awful. Am I missing something here? It was just disgustingly sweet. Like someone poured a full cup of brown sugar into a beer. Overwhelming burnt caramel and nothing else. Like maple syrup on lucky charms, it's cloyingly, offensively sweet.

I'm generally a fan of desserty stouts. I think KBS is rather good. Evil Twin does some really nice flavored stouts (Imperial Biscotti Break, Donut Break, etc).

But this BCS? Undrinkable. It makes me wonder if there was something wrong with my bottle, as everyone else seems to love it. It also had very little carbonation, is that normal?

Yes you're missing something. HA.  Palates are unique things. I like KBS as well and usually like it a bit better but I did think the 18 BCS was very creamy and boozier..which I like. I don't find it overly sweet like some of their variants. It can get that bitter, burnt tasted to me sometimes too depending on the day. All stouts do to me to some degree. I think it's very dependent on what you've eaten or drank before hand. All that said I think BCS is a great beer. Yes the low carbonation and lack of head is normal. The ABV tends to keep that down I think. I'm usually just left with a small tan ring.

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Yes you're missing something. HA.  Palates are unique things. I like KBS as well and usually like it a bit better but I did think the 18 BCS was very creamy and boozier..which I like. I don't find it overly sweet like some of their variants. It can get that bitter, burnt tasted to me sometimes too depending on the day. All stouts do to me to some degree. I think it's very dependent on what you've eaten or drank before hand. All that said I think BCS is a great beer. Yes the low carbonation and lack of head is normal. The ABV tends to keep that down I think. I'm usually just left with a small tan ring.

Thanks, well it seems like this is just what it is then. I didn't eat or drink anything weird beforehand, and after pouring the rest of this terrible beer down the drain I had some rye and bourbon which tasted great. My wife, who loves sweet stouts, thought it was undrinkable as well. It's certainly very rich and creamy.

It's sort of unfathomable to think they make sweeter beers than this. It's like drinking straight up simple syrup. If I got a spoonful of honey straight from the jar it would be less sweet than this. If El Dorado Rum (which has added sugar) is a 9/10 for sweetness, this beer is a 38/10.

Edited by EarthQuake

Sticking a fork in this week and callin’ her done.  Pipeworks Brewing “Velocity of Light” Double dry hopped oat IPA.  Luscious, while out on the back swing on a  nice warmish afternoon.  

F2F87B7E-B340-4A4E-AC15-9597A895F6DD.jpeg

On 11/29/2018 at 9:33 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Enjoying this tonight.

EarthQuake would have given you his! 

I cracked open a Vanilla variant tonight. Not a lot different in the nose but wow there is a lot of vanilla in the taste. Getting more and more vanilla as it warms. Not overly sweet,  though. It's a bit creamier than the standard BCS as well.

20181201_163528-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

I visited Founders yesterday to pick up some bottles of Panther Cub.  This is a beer that Founders fans have asked to be bottled for several years.  It is an 8.7% abv porter aged in bourbon barrels and maple bourbon barrels with vanilla beans.  This was a beer sold only at Founders as part of their Mothership Series.  They only bottled 420 cases.  I have to say this beer meets the hype.

1543775001968738031013.jpg

Love me this GLB Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.  

3A85EC61-BA5A-404F-B5B7-01AA3C6666B5.jpeg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Love me this GLB Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.  

Damn you Joe. I know where you live and if you don't stop showing that PHC set in the background of your pictures, I'm coming down and stealing them. (I'm tired of drooling over that Old Charter)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.